Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 6, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #466 of 12,315
Anyone using AKG K7XX for metal? Been using mine and they are surprisingly good. Considering how well the OP reviews the K712 for metal I wonder how the K7XX compare...

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #467 of 12,315
  Anyone using AKG K7XX for metal? Been using mine and they are surprisingly good. Considering how well the OP reviews the K712 for metal I wonder how the K7XX compare...

Out of the box there is too much treble. After it settles in, it passes my Slayer and Exodus test with flying colors.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #468 of 12,315
Slayer and exodus test, lol. I have noticed the treble is pretty pronounced. I only have probably 15-20 hrs on them, but the bass is way better than I expected out of my first akg. How long for it to settle?

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #469 of 12,315

Burn-in for AKGs usually runs 300-350 hours. Plugging them in and leaving the music playing for 2 weeks does the job.

K7XX, K712 and K702 Annies all sound essentially the same, to my understanding.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #470 of 12,315
  Gah -- so I just got the Mjolnir in the mail but neglected to get balanced cables -- so looks like I'm going to go ahead and get a separate amp to try the HE-6. I posted in the HE-6 amp thread as well but am wondering what you guys would suggest for speaker amps? Something that I can get off of Amazon (or another site that offers refunds/expedited shipping) would be ideal. As I said in a previous post, looking for a lush+full sound but with bite. Thanks!

DAC is Gungnir.

But the HE-6 comes with a balanced 4-pin XLR terminated cable, should be good to go with the Mjolnir straight away?

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #471 of 12,315
Slayer and exodus test, lol. I have noticed the treble is pretty pronounced. I only have probably 15-20 hrs on them, but the bass is way better than I expected out of my first akg. How long for it to settle?

K712 are brighter than K7XX I heard... more treble. I don't find the K7XX have too much treble at all, find them really smooth.

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #472 of 12,315

But the HE-6 comes with a balanced 4-pin XLR terminated cable, should be good to go with the Mjolnir straight away?

Did not know that! Ya I've got the HE-6 plugged in now to the Mjolnir.

First impressions are... too bright for my tastes. Sounds a bit too much towards the thin/tinny side of things. I'm wondering though - would this go away with a better amp? Also this is with zero burn in.

I've got balanced cables on the way for LCD-2 so I'll be able to compare both on Mjo once it arrives.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #473 of 12,315

First impressions are... too bright for my tastes. Sounds a bit too much towards the thin/tinny side of things. I'm wondering though - would this go away with a better amp? Also this is with zero burn in.

I've got balanced cables on the way for LCD-2 so I'll be able to compare both on Mjo once it arrives.

I do know that countless people have had bad impressions of the HE-6 when it wasn't powered properly. Some people say it needs a speaker amp to reach its peak, but like I said earlier, I don't know the "official" amount of power it needs for that.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #474 of 12,315

Thin and tinny means the amp ain't up to it, those are the last adjectives that would be used for a well driven 6. As for the brightness, that'll settle too, unless the recording is that way - the 6 is transparent - it won't sugar coat bad recordings.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #475 of 12,315
Focal Spirit Pro against the Shure SRH 840 not considering size and form factor... Is one much better than another? Noticing the graph here has about the same total number of points with the edge going to the focal but at about double the price.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #476 of 12,315
  Focal Spirit Pro against the Shure SRH 840 not considering size and form factor... Is one much better than another? Noticing the graph here has about the same total number of points with the edge going to the focal but at about double the price.

I will receive the FSP in a few days, but won't have the Shure to compare with. The latter doesn't really "measure up" on this link.

There are four-figure headphones on the metal table that don't rank well (saying nothing about other genres), so price is just one factor.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #477 of 12,315

I am considering the FSP myself, can anyone compare it the any Grado's? Also would you recommend the headphone for metal/rock?

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #478 of 12,315
Hello all! This is my first post on here, so please bear with me if I am a bit unfamiliar with some of the terminology used. I was wondering if anyone could possibly make a recommendation for a solid all rounder set of cans, I've been looking at the HD600/650 or Mad Dog 3.2s as it seems they're rather well liked by you guys. The reason I'm asking in this thread is because I have a heavy preference for metal, and it seems like you guys are really going to town figuring out what works best for which genre. I'll give you a rundown of my gear and what I like to listen to, and hopefully that'll help give you an idea of perhaps what would work best for me:

Source: Snapdragon based Note 2 running Poweramp or Neutron (tried UAPP, had issues and was very unhappy with the UI, although Poweramp has been giving me fits with my dac), feeding into a DZero MK II DAC/amp combo, currently using Thinksound MS-01 IEMS with comply tips. I love the sound, but want more of everything. I tried K770s at a local store, and while they sounded fantastic, I cannot help but want something a bit better, and I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get it.

Music: Subrosa, This Will Destroy You, Rosetta, Scale The Summit, Electric Wizard, Elder, The Black Antler, Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, Red Sparrowes, Russian Circles, If These Trees Could Talk, Pig Destroyer, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, some lighter stuff as well gets thrown into the mix including old school gangster rap, some pop, bittracks, chillout/electronica, and classical just to make my playlist that extra little bit of schizophrenic.

I would love to have something with a bit more of a soundstage to it and a bit more instrument separation, but I don't mind closed headphones as they would help muffle sound as I'm going about my tasks while listening to my music. Do you guys think the aforementioned headphones would be good, or perhaps should I look into different options? Any info would be greatly appreciated since I'm still very much a rookie at this, and thank you in advance!

Also: I will likely be upgrading phones shortly, so the Note 2 may change to a Note 4, although I'm a bit concerned seeing as some people were a bit unhappy with it's SQ. Perhaps I'll get a decent portable source once I'm done with a few other pressing projects.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #479 of 12,315
You already have the D-zero, so no need to ponder over the Note 4's output quality. For mobile audio experiences, I'd suggest you try the VMODA M100.

IMO both the HD600 and HD650 are not great for Metal. The HD600 may shine on Classic Rock tracks, but for Metal, they're still a big No. The VMODA will serve you well, or if you can stand Grados, try the RS1i or SR325is/325e.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #480 of 12,315
Lots better options out there for metal that Vmoda, I am very unhappy with my purchase of that can. For metal I enjoy the hd600 quite a bit, also enjoy my Akg k7xx (which massdrop will be selling again next month), my dt990s,and the Philips x2 were fine for metal. The Vmoda I find way too boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back