Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 13, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #3,721 of 12,313
Lol! That looked like the handiwork of a dog or cat.

hehe, I wonder how would a dog sound on a synth in a piece of metal 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,723 of 12,313
He loves jumping on the computer desk, this time he got a snack and replied to a post I had no intention of replying too lol.

xD 

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,724 of 12,313
This should help you expand the soundstage a bit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

There is a bass mod in the OP of this thread which might help:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738912/he-560-enhancement-mod-v1-5

A pad swap to the FocusPad-A would bring down the 2khz-4khz region a touch, which can make the headphone feel more bassy and more spacious - you're brain pulls a lot of location data from this frequency range, hence why it is often referred to as "presence."

A swap to the Audeze vegan pads (cheapest on B&H photo, I believe) splits the difference on the mids and gives you even more soundstage via physical space from the ear.

Otherwise, amp and cable swaps are always a great option... albeit a more expensive one. The X7 isn't exactly a bass monster. There is also EQ on the X7 via the app.

What is the physical difference between the stock focus pads on 400i and the focus A pads?

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #3,725 of 12,313

A pad swap to the FocusPad-A would bring down the 2khz-4khz region a touch, which can make the headphone feel more bassy and more spacious - you're brain pulls a lot of location data from this frequency range, hence why it is often referred to as "presence."

A swap to the Audeze vegan pads (cheapest on B&H photo, I believe) splits the difference on the mids and gives you even more soundstage via physical space from the ear.

Otherwise, amp and cable swaps are always a great option... albeit a more expensive one. The X7 isn't exactly a bass monster. There is also EQ on the X7 via the app.

these work the same for the HE 6 as well 

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #3,726 of 12,313

What is the physical difference between the stock focus pads on 400i and the focus A pads?

Sure. The FocusPad has perforated plastic on the underside of the pad, whereas the FocusPad-A is just a regular cotton weave. The perforated underside is the main contributor to the boosted 2-4khz region.

Aside from that, the FocusPad has a 6cm opening vs. the FocusPad-A's 5.5cm opening.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,727 of 12,313
You guys are awesome!

Actually, HIFIMAN came through for me! They canceled my VelPad order in time, and I was able to order the Focus A pads, from their eBay store (no shipping). I think it will ship USPS First Class out of Illinois, so I should get it in a few days in NJ. 

I'm leary of permanent mods at this point, because I'm still going through the exploratory headphone phase. I used to wonder why people modded headphones, but I totally get it now, and I'm totally curious how far I could take this headphone if I wanted to mod the heck out of it. 

With that said, I expect to hold onto the HE-400i because it's soo good with metal, and every other type of music I throw at it. 

I'm "auditioning" it now to get a handle on its sound with the stock pads, so I can better appreciate the affect of the Focus A pads. 

I'll be sure to report back when I get them. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3,728 of 12,313
You guys are awesome!

Actually, HIFIMAN came through for me! They canceled my VelPad order in time, and I was able to order the Focus A pads, from their eBay store (no shipping). I think it will ship USPS First Class out of Illinois, so I should get it in a few days in NJ. 

I'm leary of permanent mods at this point, because I'm still going through the exploratory headphone phase. I used to wonder why people modded headphones, but I totally get it now, and I'm totally curious how far I could take this headphone if I wanted to mod the heck out of it. 

With that said, I expect to hold onto the HE-400i because it's soo good with metal, and every other type of music I throw at it. 

I'm "auditioning" it now to get a handle on its sound with the stock pads, so I can better appreciate the affect of the Focus A pads. 

I'll be sure to report back when I get them. 

Most of those mods are reversible. I've swapped the grills on and off so many times. Just be careful with the plastic retaining ring (it's a little on the thin side).

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #3,729 of 12,313
Most of those mods are reversible. I've swapped the grills on and off so many times. Just be careful with the plastic retaining ring (it's a little on the thin side).

Yes, I almost learned that the hard way last night when I decided to pull the stock pads off, without understanding how much engineering went into them. . I was expecting its locking mechanism to be a bit simpler. I love the AKG pads, and how easy it is to screw them on and off. 

I know HIFIMAN puts a lot of thought into how they design these things, especially the newer ones. 

Question: Do you need these rings to swap in the Alpha Dog pads? I know those are pricy, but people rave about them. Since these rings are glued now, it makes pad-swapping with non-HFM pads very difficult. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #3,730 of 12,313
Yes, I almost learned that the hard way last night when I decided to pull the stock pads off, without understanding how much engineering went into them. . I was expecting its locking mechanism to be a bit simpler. I love the AKG pads, and how easy it is to screw them on and off. 

I know HIFIMAN puts a lot of thought into how they design these things, especially the newer ones. 

Question: Do you need these rings to swap in the Alpha Dog pads? I know those are pricy, but people rave about them. Since these rings are glued now, it makes pad-swapping with non-HFM pads very difficult. 

I wouldn't put alpha pads on an open can, personally.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #3,731 of 12,313

Yeah, you would need the rings, or you could adhere with double stick tape... Which will sound slightly better, but make a bit of a mess.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #3,733 of 12,313
Sure. The FocusPad has perforated plastic on the underside of the pad, whereas the FocusPad-A is just a regular cotton weave. The perforated underside is the main contributor to the boosted 2-4khz region.

Aside from that, the FocusPad has a 6cm opening vs. the FocusPad-A's 5.5cm opening.

Is it just the 2-4khz region that changes with them?

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,734 of 12,313

Is it just the 2-4khz region that changes with them?

It's the most noticeable change. Actually, just rechecked measurements, and the boost is really closer to 3khz-5khz. As for other changes, the Focus-A also has slightly less treble around 9-10khz, but a little more air up around 16khz... in practice, I've found these changes to be less noticeable. Essentially, the FP has a little more edge and treble emphasis, while the FPA has a little more body to it. Preference is subjective.

If you're interested in comparing measurements, Jerg tested both pads and posted results in the OP of the HE560 thread (fittingly, under the "measurements" subhead). http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,735 of 12,313
It's the most noticeable change. Actually, just rechecked measurements, and the boost is really closer to 3khz-5khz. As for other changes, the Focus-A also has slightly less treble around 9-10khz, but a little more air up around 16khz... in practice, I've found these changes to be less noticeable. Essentially, the FP has a little more edge and treble emphasis, while the FPA has a little more body to it. Preference is subjective.

If you're interested in comparing measurements, Jerg tested both pads and posted results in the OP of the HE560 thread (fittingly, under the "measurements" subhead). http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread

Great, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back