Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,752 of 12,302
Just listening to it now, sounds more epic and bigger like their oder stuff. cool. 

Keeping with the theme of this thread: Man I love these primes with symphonic!

Lol, stop it about the Primes! You're rubbing it in because they're hard to find. :)

I'm still waiting for a good deal in the classifieds.

I'm selling my X2s to fund a new amp or the Primes.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,753 of 12,302
Lol, stop it about the Primes! You're rubbing it in because they're hard to find. :)

I'm still waiting for a good deal in the classifieds.

I'm selling my X2s to fund a new amp or the Primes.

I am absolutely amazed at the sound of the cayin c5 for harder to drive headphones. No need to spend any more to get into the amp game.

Sorry about the prime, I will stop lol.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,755 of 12,302
I am absolutely amazed at the sound of the cayin c5 for harder to drive headphones. No need to spend any more to get into the amp game.

Sorry about the prime, I will stop lol.

I have an Oppo HA-2 strapped to a Galaxy S4 at the moment. I love the Oppo, but I'm not sure if it has the juice for higher-to-drive headphones.

So far, it's done extremely well with the AKG K7XX, the Hifiman He400i and the Beyerdynamic T70.

I believe the Alpha Dog variants are all a bit harder to drive, however.

I just posted in the Oppo thread to see if anyone is driving some of the higher-end headphones I listed.

As a rule, I'm trying to stay away from power-hungry beasts and don't want to start spending tons on multiple amps.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,756 of 12,302
Thank you for the advice in this thread, ordered some 400is as an open upgrade to Mad Dogs during the New Year's sale based on the recommendations here so waiting to try those out.

Regarding fine music this year, in no particular order:

Sulphur Aeon - Gateway To The Antisphere (Van Records bandcamp: https://sulphuraeon-vanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/gateway-to-the-antisphere) 

Gloryhammer - Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards; perfect parody/tribute to its style. If you were looking for something a little more serious in the same vein this year's Midnight album works as well.

Botanist - EP2: Hammer Of Botany Always different and always a treat. Artist bandcamp: https://verdant-realm-botanist.bandcamp.com/album/ep2-hammer-of-botany

Bonus honorable mention for a re-issue: Tengger Cavalry's Blood Sacrifice Shaman. Artist bandcamp: https://tenggercavalry.bandcamp.com/album/blood-sacrifice-shaman-2015

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #3,760 of 12,302
I finally pulled the trigger on the Yamaha Eph-100 from Amazon. This will be the second time I've owned them.

This time, I have a much better source, and understand better what I like in a headphone. Even though it's baddy, it's quite fast, and never sibilant.

I will have to EQ down the bass a bit, and pump up the treble.

It's a shame Yamaha didn't iterate and improve on that design.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #3,763 of 12,302
Been listening to a loaner oppo pm3. They are actually pretty good for metal. Fast, tight, detailed. Limited treble extension, but I don't like it too bright myself. They are not exciting, but they are flat neutral with good representation of what is actually recorded. Size wise they are perfect for out and about, very easy to drive. I am enjoying them a fair amount actually.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3,764 of 12,302
I've been creeping around, but very busy w/ an accounting class for my MBA program. I'm a very good student, but I'm terrible at accounting.

I just swapped on my Focus-A pads for my HE-400i. I like the improved bass, but it nerfs the treble a bit. They also feel a bit closed in.

I'll try to play some destiny with them tomorrow to see how I feel about the pad swap.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #3,765 of 12,302
Been listening to a loaner oppo pm3. They are actually pretty good for metal. Fast, tight, detailed. Limited treble extension, but I don't like it too bright myself. They are not exciting, but they are flat neutral with good representation of what is actually recorded. Size wise they are perfect for out and about, very easy to drive. I am enjoying them a fair amount actually.

I do confirm, that oppo pm3 are good for metal. I've just been listening metal in them since morning for 5 hours. Very good. They have all the advantages of multi-layer planar bass and being closed they are pretty punchy (as opposed to the majority of open planar cans).
excellent combination.

The topic starter should try and evaluate them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back