Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #331 of 12,295
  He sure does love the words, lush, velvety, yummy, and luxurious to describe his stuff. He even labeled the LCDX as a youthful sounding headphones.. 

I'm too lazy to bother going back and reading what he said, but I think he also mentioned that it's more relevant to a young audience due to its higher sensitivity. With this in mind, I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the LCD-X and AKG K812 straight out of an iPod!

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #332 of 12,295

I'm too lazy to bother going back and reading what he said, but I think he also mentioned that it's more relevant to a young audience due to its higher sensitivity. With this in mind, I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the LCD-X and AKG K812 straight out of an iPod!

I'm sure he was hinting at the increased bass and less of a treble roll off than the LCD3. 

Here's the quote:
The LCD-X is a great alternative to the LCD-3 above for audio pros and youthful headphone enthusiasts. Their efficiency and low impedance make them play well with any gear you plug them into, and their potent bass and smooth sound make them ideal for all manner of contemporary music.
The planar magnetic driver and aluminum housing used in these headphones make them fairly large and heavy. I find it fairly comfortable at home, but it's not a headphone for walking around, and may be a bit warm in hot, humid climates. The included transport case is excellent.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #333 of 12,295
  I'm sure he was hinting at the increased bass and less of a treble roll off than the LCD3. 

Here's the quote:
The LCD-X is a great alternative to the LCD-3 above for audio pros and youthful headphone enthusiasts. Their efficiency and low impedance make them play well with any gear you plug them into, and their potent bass and smooth sound make them ideal for all manner of contemporary music.
The planar magnetic driver and aluminum housing used in these headphones make them fairly large and heavy. I find it fairly comfortable at home, but it's not a headphone for walking around, and may be a bit warm in hot, humid climates. The included transport case is excellent.

"potent bass and smooth sound" is pretty ambiguous, at any rate. I mean, that more or less applies to all Audeze models. (I want to hear the LCD-3F more than the others!) And wouldn't treble roll-off be something that many people want for bright modern recordings?

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #334 of 12,295

"potent bass and smooth sound" is pretty ambiguous, at any rate. I mean, that more or less applies to all Audeze models. (I want to hear the LCD-3F more than the others!) And wouldn't treble roll-off be something that many people want for bright modern recordings?

If it's properly and well recorded it's not bright.

The Audeze house sound is a thick lush sound that tends to have rolled off high end to some extend. The LCD-X(XC) is the least sounding Audeze house sound in their lineup. If anyone has ever gotten sibilance out of an LCD-X they must have been using EQ + an extremely bright/dac + bright source + pure silver cables. Listening to the LCD-X's for over a month now with my Schiit Lyr2/Uberfrost + Magni/Modi with thousands of different sounds ranging from grunge to metal to everything in between I have never once thought it was too bright in any shape.

In my opinion the LCD-X is extremely transparent and the definition of the term. If the song is bassy then the headphones are bassy, If it's bright, the track sounds bright. If it was recorded with a microphone in a tin can then that's what it sounds like. They are very telling yet forgiving in the right way. What you put in is what you get out moreso than any other headphones I've ever heard. They might be considered relaxed vs some of the more fun sounding cans out there because I can wear them all day at work and that night without ever wanting to take them off due to audible fatigue, of which I got quite often with the TH600's. Also being that they are very comfortable sounding I do tend to get more wow moments out of them than any other headphone I've tried, owned or probably ever will own. 

Don't want to step on toes. I just love the LCD-X and I will defend them to my grave. :p

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #335 of 12,295
  If it's properly and well recorded it's not bright.

The Audeze house sound is a thick lush sound that tends to have rolled off high end to some extend. The LCD-X(XC) is the least sounding Audeze house sound in their lineup. If anyone has ever gotten sibilance out of an LCD-X they must have been using EQ + an extremely bright/dac + bright source + pure silver cables. Listening to the LCD-X's for over a month now with my Schiit Lyr2/Uberfrost + Magni/Modi with thousands of different sounds ranging from grunge to metal to everything in between I have never once thought it was too bright in any shape.

In my opinion the LCD-X is extremely transparent and the definition of the term. If the song is bassy then the headphones are bassy, If it's bright, the track sounds bright. If it was recorded with a microphone in a tin can then that's what it sounds like. They are very telling yet forgiving in the right way. What you put in is what you get out moreso than any other headphones I've ever heard. They might be considered relaxed vs some of the more fun sounding cans out there because I can wear them all day at work and that night without ever wanting to take them off due to audible fatigue, of which I got quite often with the TH600's. Also being that they are very comfortable sounding I do tend to get more wow moments out of them than any other headphone I've tried, owned or probably ever will own. 

Don't want to step on toes. I just love the LCD-X and I will defend them to my grave. :p

No, I meant that for modern recordings that are bright, some people would want headphones with a treble roll-off.

The LCD-X is undoubtedly a great headphone. It's just that, when it comes to transparency and/or neutrality, it doesn't really seem to compare to the Orpheus, SR-009, SR-007, K812, HD 800, etc. (I do want all the headphones we're talking about, though. The reason I'm most interested in the LCD-3F when it comes to Audeze is precisely because of its colorations.)

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #336 of 12,295
Is anyone under the impression that Black, Death & Thrash should be listened on headphones with small soundstage? I remember the tight soundstage on my old 325is giving a much better Burzum experience than on my MSPro. Somehow these genres just become a tad less extreme on headphones with big soundstage :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #337 of 12,295
Is anyone under the impression that Black, Death & Thrash should be listened on headphones with small soundstage? I remember the tight soundstage on my old 325is giving a much better Burzum experience than on my MSPro. Somehow these genres just become a tad less extreme on headphones with big soundstage :frowning2:

Agreed!

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #338 of 12,295

Absolutely agree on Thrash and I would add Doom and Grindcore to metal subgenres, that benefit from small sounstage. Not so sure about Black and Death, too much subsubgenres here...

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #340 of 12,295
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #342 of 12,295

Death, Thrash and Doom, yeah I think so. I like it to sound thick and focused. For Black Metal I think it depends on what type. If it's your traditional Burzum(good Burzum)/Darkthrone/Bathory stuff then I'd agree. For more transcendental, shoegaze-y or folk black metal (ie Wolves in the Throne Room, Falls of Rauros, Ulver, Imperium Dekadenz), I like a wider, more enveloping soundstage.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #343 of 12,295
I have to ask: With modern Metal being 99% low dynamic range poorly produced works, do the diminishing returns hit us much sooner? Are the top headphones like the HE-560, LCD-2/x/3, and TH900 worth it for metal, or are the production values too low to really matter?

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #344 of 12,295
I have to ask: With modern Metal being 99% low dynamic range poorly produced works, do the diminishing returns hit us much sooner? Are the top headphones like the HE-560, LCD-2/x/3, and TH900 worth it for metal, or are the production values too low to really matter?

I would certainly say that it makes finding the appropriate sound signature and PRAT more important than acheiving some of the technicalities you pay out the wazoo for on high-end cans. I certainly favor my Beyer DT990s over much, much more expensive cans I have, in order to get the experience I want for metal.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #345 of 12,295
  Any thoughts on amping the Shures?

I definitely feel like I need to do the headband mod to reduce the weight a bit, this thing slides all over the place.

For amping - beware of flat "professional" sounding devices, 840 tend to be boring (I have such experience on E-MU 0404 + 840).
I by accident applied “break the headband” mod to them, trying to reduce pressure on ears. Well, I can’t sell them now, by I can listen them with much more comfort ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back