Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #302 of 12,280
  So which is a better deal? K7XX for about 230 Euro with 2 year warranty or K712 for 330 Euro and 3 years?  Mostly will be used for listening to black metal and gaming.

K712 are more interesting sound-wise. I think difference worth extra 100 euro. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #306 of 12,280
Nov 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #307 of 12,280
  that's what I thought, i just find it odd that someone who hasn't heard a K7XX can say the K712 is worth the extra 100 Euros and "more interesting"....

They are identical in specs except for color. I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair for work.

AKG K7XX:
AKG K7XX:

1. Configured by Massdrop
  2. Manufactured by AKG
  3. Open-back construction
  4. Pre-selected dynamic transducers
  5. Flat-wire voice coil
  6. Varimotion two-layer diaphragm
  7. Genuine leather headband
  8. Memory foam earpads with velour covering
  9. Individually tested and numbered
  10. Detachable 9.8 ft (3 m) straight cable with 1/8 in (3.5 mm) jack
  11. Frequency response: 10 to 39,800 Hz
  12. Sensitivity: 105 dB/V
  13. Maximum input power: 200 mW
  14. Rated impedance: 62 Ohms
  15. 8.3 oz (235 g)

AKG 712:

AKG 712:
General
Headphone typeopen
Audio Frequency bandwidth10 to 39800 Hz
Sensitivity headphones105 dB SPL/V
Max. Input Power200 mW
Rated Impedance62 Ohms
Earpads 
Detachable cableyes
Cable Length3 m
Earpads Replaceableyes

Audio Interface
TypeScrew-on Jack Combo (1/4" and 1/8")
GenderMale
Contacts3-pin
Interface FinishGold

Dimensions / Weight
Length113 mm
Width199 mm
Height212 mm
Net Weight235 g

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #308 of 12,280
  So far, I think the Primes aren't optimal for metal across the board, which seems to be the bent of this thread.  They do nothing to enhance low-fi, mediocre recordings.  Some of the charm of our beloved music is the intentionally primitive techniques involved.  The Primes are an absolutely honest presenter, and as such, aren't the most "fun".

I stand by the 400i as the ultimate metal headphone for my ears and tastes. They goose just enough warmth, yet retain exceptional detail across the board.

Thanks for the brief impressions...though I would never go so far as to call any headphone absolutely honest.

They are so new I doubt anyone has listened to them yet.

From what I can guess/tell is they are the chinese made version of the K712. 

The front page of Head-Fi says they are "a joint venture from AKG and Massdrop. Based on the K702 65th Anniversary model".

Here is a review link.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #309 of 12,280
  I just bought a new pair of LCD-2 Fazor...I will let you know soon how they perform with Metal music.

I'll be very curious to read your impressions. From my recent listening at an audio show, I left deciding if I had about $1,000 to spend on a endgame HP, it would be the LCD-2 F or the HE 560. But, I would need more time to really listen. W/ just a few minutes and no metal per se, the LCD-2f left the strongest impression. But the 560 was really nice as well. I intentionally stayed away from the LCD-3 and X...too spendy for me.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #310 of 12,280

Thanks for the brief impressions...though I would never go so far as to call any headphone absolutely honest.

Here is a review link.

Good point, and I tend to get excited.  But in this case, I don't consider 'honest' to be perfect.  I have heard many, many honest speakers over the years, and a handful of headphones.  Honest in the sense that they present the recording without overtly enhancing or diminishing anything.  In the case of the Primes, low-fi seems a bit painful to listen to.  On my Grado 225i's, which I would never refer to as honest, though I love them dearly, low-fi is almost desirable, as their coloration makes things fun and exciting.

The Primes have no problem so far letting me know that something sucks.  They just don't make it a dramatic thing, like the GS1000e's did.  Those headphones had no tact.

And yes, I'm off the deep-end anthropomorphizing headphones 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #311 of 12,280
  Good point, and I tend to get excited.  But in this case, I don't consider 'honest' to be perfect.  I have heard many, many honest speakers over the years, and a handful of headphones.  Honest in the sense that they present the recording without overtly enhancing or diminishing anything.  In the case of the Primes, low-fi seems a bit painful to listen to.  On my Grado 225i's, which I would never refer to as honest, though I love them dearly, low-fi is almost desirable, as their coloration makes things fun and exciting.

The Primes have no problem so far letting me know that something sucks.  They just don't make it a dramatic thing, like the GS1000e's did.  Those headphones had no tact.

And yes, I'm off the deep-end anthropomorphizing headphones 
biggrin.gif

It would be more honest (hehe) if you said relatively honest, since even the most accurate headphones have colorations.

It's interesting how, in the context of resolving audio equipment, some of them are said to make bad recordings sound worse, while others (such as an unbelievably expensive DAC I've researched) reportedly have the opposite effect, as if to bring the best out of the recording. In other words, certain seemingly bad recordings may not be as bad as we think. (Though some are obviously awful.)

Well hey, at least you don't name your pets after headphones!
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #312 of 12,280

I'll be very curious to read your impressions. From my recent listening at an audio show, I left deciding if I had about $1,000 to spend on a endgame HP, it would be the LCD-2 F or the HE 560. But, I would need more time to really listen. W/ just a few minutes and no metal per se, the LCD-2f left the strongest impression. But the 560 was really nice as well. I intentionally stayed away from the LCD-3 and X...too spendy for me.

Alright, I will also compare them with the HE-560.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #313 of 12,280

It would be more honest (hehe) if you said relatively honest, since even the most accurate headphones have colorations.

It's interesting how, in the context of resolving audio equipment, some of them are said to make bad recordings sound worse, while others (such as an unbelievably expensive DAC I've researched) reportedly have the opposite effect, as if to bring the best out of the recording. In other words, certain seemingly bad recordings may not be as bad as we think. (Though some are obviously awful.)

Well hey, at least you don't name your pets after headphones!
tongue.gif

I love Head-fi.  Seriously! 
gs1000.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #314 of 12,280
Since this is a thread about how headphones perform with metal, I will report that the QC15 (Bose QuietComfort 15) ranges from satisfactory to atrocious, depending on the source material. It's at its worst with highly sibilant songs. Shrieking terror, I tell you! Annnd I don't feel like going into any more detail than that. I definitely wouldn't generally recommend them.

I love Head-fi.  Seriously! 
gs1000.gif

Gawd, yes. I spend way too much time on this site.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #315 of 12,280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back