Headphones for large heads
Aug 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

melina

New Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend headphones that are comfortable for those with big heads? I don't really have any price point in mind, but it seems incredibly difficult to find headphones (particularly of the closed-back variety) that don't give you migraines after long term wear.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I have a pretty big head and have the same problem.  I just received the Sony MA900 and they are about as comfortable as you can get in full-size headphones.  Clamping isn't a concern though I still get a little annoyed by the cups pushing down on my earlobes.  I slightly preferred the sound of the Sennheiser 598 but my head felt like it was in a clamp after a few minutes of listening.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 11
How big is big? Do you know your hat size? I'm a 7 & ¾, and I've never really had a problem fitting anything on my head that I've tried at meets, shows, dealers etc. I've owned and worn extensively Grado SR80s, PS500s and Sennheiser HD800s, and haven't really had major issues with any of them. I think I experience a slightly higher clamping force that an average headed person, but it's nothing I've ever found uncomfortable.  I assume by long term wear you mean long listening sessions?  How long are we talking?

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 11
As someone with not only a large head and having gone through too many headphones in my collection, here are those you can consider.

Closed back - Denon AH-D2000, AKG K550, MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Open back - Audeze LCD2 (also fit table with extra long yoke), Sennheiser HD600/650/700/800, Philips X1, and ANY Grados.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 11
As someone with not only a large head and having gone through too many headphones in my collection, here are those you can consider.

Closed back - Denon AH-D2000, AKG K550, MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Open back - Audeze LCD2 (also fit table with extra long yoke), Sennheiser HD600/650/700/800, Philips X1, and ANY Grados.

I have a relatively small head, and I can't get a good fit with the AKG K550. Even in the lowest(smallest) position they are to wide/loose for my head. So I guess they must fit a person with a large head.

The LCD-2 on the other hand, is almost in the outer(largest) position on my head. But perhaps the headband is flexible enough to also fit a person with a large head.

The Grados I have tried might fit a large head, but personally I wouldn't find them comfortable for +3 hours of use.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't have a large head, but do own a pair of koss esp-950's which have to be comfortable for any size head. The ear pads are huge and the headband expands to a very big size.

Anyway...just a suggestion from a medium sized head guy.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 11
So there are no Head-Fiers with large heads?
Me! Extreme hammerhead with head width 18cm. 99.9% or so, according to this: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Human_head#/Anthropometry

I have found the Sennheiser HD600 series way too clampy. Grados have worked wonderfully, though the pads end up squished more on top, since they have to do the splits to get across my head. But no comfort issues. My other pair are Denon AH-D5000, and they are big enough to be very comfortable. And IEMs always work!

Aside from that, I don't know. Let's resurrect the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back