Headphones for field audio recording...
Jan 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ocelittle

New Head-Fier
Hey ya'll, new poster...

I shoot interviews via LAV mics, I shoot scripted dialogue via Shotgun mics. Anything really.

I'm just looking for something with good isolation so I can hear what is being recorded, without being influenced by what is happening outside the headphones.

Anyone have a good suggestion...? I'm looking to spend between 50-100.

Let me know!

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 14
I use a PCM-D50 to collect sound (hey, some people randomly shoot photos with $3000+ cameras) and I use Sennheiser HD215 as monitors. Cheap (below $100), light, durable, comfortable; sounds clean, balanced and detailed enough for field ops, IMO.
Or, the Sony MDR-7506. This thing was a rage a while ago.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 14
The MDR's are nice, the production company I used to work for used them. I didn't find them terribly comfortable, though. Fine in short bursts, but really uncomfortable after awhile.

The poster who ripped me off, olimoronio, told me that those Maxxell DH...something's are really nice. And they're cheap.

Are they a good option?

(EDIT) That PCM-D50 is great. I used it on a shoot once, I have the Zoom H4n, and it's pretty decent.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 14
The HD280 Pro might not hold up in the long run. Reports say that the headband cracks if you have a somewhat-large head and the clamping seems to be quite strong, but that's how you get isolation with this phone.

EDIT: H4n has quite a few nice features. Mmm integrated XLR.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 14
There are also the option for 8.35D German Mastero's :). That's a product my friend reccomended when I was designing a studio (still to be fulfilled)

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 14
I've heard that Senn HD-25s are the industry standard (not just as a marketing term) for reporting, live casting, etc.  I see them a lot on TV too.  They supposedly have very good isolation, even more than many over-ear cans, and have very nice SQ.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I've heard that Senn HD-25s are the industry standard (not just as a marketing term) for reporting, live casting, etc.  I see them a lot on TV too.  They supposedly have very good isolation, even more than many over-ear cans, and have very nice SQ.

I don't think that is available below $100...

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 14
+1 for HD-25's. I was recently watching behind-the-scenes footage of the movie "Salt" and the sound guys were using HD-25's. Made me happy. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back