Headphones for Classical Musics...
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

qwer9108

New Head-Fier
Hello people,

Classical music is only genre I listen to. (played cello for 9 years!)

LOVE string instrumental music like orchestra and chamber. Piano and cello solos too.

Have researched about 2 weeks to buy my first headphones..

Read many recommendations for AKG-K501... and Senn 650(?).

How about Senn hd 800?? Would it be better than both of them in classical music?

Any Suggestions plz!!

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 26
Classical? Can't go past the HD650 for classical. Very true to the sound of acoustic instruments without being in any way over-etched or harsh. If you want to be onstage again with the musicians hearing every chair squeak and bow click, try the HD800, but if you want to hear the orchestra from a reasonable concert hall distance get the HD650.  

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 26
although I found the HD650 to be a better suited can for me (way better), classical was the only thing the K501 did better then the Senns. Although I kept the 650's and sold the 501, if it were only about classical music, I'd choose 501.

I'm sure HD800 does better in that genre, but that's another league.

OP, I think there's a 501 at the FS forum at the moment...

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 26
If you are open to the cost of the HD800 but haven't taken amping into consideration yet, I'd say go for the K501 or HD650 used and spend the rest of your budget on amping them. The K501 and HD650 both have to be better than the HD800 if they are amped and the 800 is not. And I don't know if you want to spend the $$$ for the 800 and what it would take to amp them.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 26
[size=10pt]I listen to 70-80% classical (Early Music, Tudor, Elizabethan, Baroque, mostly) and while I can not comment on the HD800, I find the Denon AH-D7000 to be perfect for my tastes and synergy with my rig and sources. It's got the solidity and sonority to reproduce the resonances of the cello or double bass, but also has the crisp highs to produce the 'air' which gives the instruments life and presence.[/size]

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
If you are open to the cost of the HD800 but haven't taken amping into consideration yet, I'd say go for the K501 or HD650 used and spend the rest of your budget on amping them. The K501 and HD650 both have to be better than the HD800 if they are amped and the 800 is not. And I don't know if you want to spend the $$$ for the 800 and what it would take to amp them.

You know, I know this is an attitude shared by many here but I think it's worthwhile sharing an opposing view. I don't hear amps. I've never heard them. All amps, be they above a certain quality level and providing sufficient power for the purpose, sound the same to me, whether dedicated or integrated or whatever. People keep talking about how much difference amps make but I just don't hear it, and I know others who don't either. I recabled my 650s and that I could hear, but amps...neh. So while I'm not saying those who hear a difference are imagining it, I think it's worthwhile pointing out that there's a school of thought that says that unless an amp is running into distortion its effect will be negligible. 

Don't want to start a big debate here. I'm just questioning whether this advice not to buy such-&-such headphone unless you're prepared to spend $500 on an amp is equally relevant to every listener. I'm more than happy with a quality integrated.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:Originally Posted by pp312 

"You know, I know this is an attitude shared by many here but I think it's worthwhile sharing an opposing view. I don't hear amps. I've never heard them. All amps, be they above a certain quality level and providing sufficient power for the purpose, sound the same to me, whether dedicated or integrated or whatever. People keep talking about how much difference amps make but I just don't hear it, and I know others who don't either. I recabled my 650s and that I could hear, but amps...neh. So while I'm not saying those who hear a difference are imagining it, I think it's worthwhile pointing out that there's a school of thought that says that unless an amp is running into distortion its effect will be negligible. 
Don't want to start a big debate here. I'm just questioning whether this advice not to buy such-&-such headphone unless you're prepared to spend $500 on an amp is equally relevant to every listener. I'm more than happy with a quality integrated."

I'm going to strongly disagree with you. You opened up the discussion so a debate it will be. I have owned and listened to a good deal of amps. Just this past Saturday there were at least 8 top amps at the South Jersey meet that Frank I and myself threw. Not to mention the other amps that were there. From the Gilmore Lite on up all the amps sounded different. Some were OTL tube amps, some were transformer coupled, there were different designs of solid state amps. Discrete, MOSFET, opamps, different tubes, differing architectures and implementations. No, I have to say that all amps above a certain price point not only do they not have to sound alike, they just don't. If you can't hear the differences, more power to you. To say that there isn't audible differences though is an incorrect assumption.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
I'm going to strongly disagree with you. You opened up the discussion so a debate it will be. I have owned and listened to a good deal of amps. Just this past Saturday there were at least 8 top amps at the South Jersey meet that Frank I and myself threw. Not to mention the other amps that were there. From the Gilmore Lite on up all the amps sounded different. Some were OTL tube amps, some were transformer coupled, there were different designs of solid state amps. Discrete, MOSFET, opamps, different tubes, differing architectures and implementations. No, I have to say that all amps above a certain price point not only do they not have to sound alike, they just don't. If you can't hear the differences, more power to you. To say that there isn't audible differences though is an incorrect assumption.

My personal experiences mirror Ross's comments. I have 3 amps right here beside me (OTL WA2, transformer coupled MAD tube amp and SS Concerto) and all three sound quite different to me....sadly I guess is what my poor wallet would say.

To the OP, my vote would be:

HD800 or T1 (in that order for classical) + a very nice tube amp.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 26
Thank you guys so much.... really...

I actually was searching frantically for AKG-K501 for few days, and nope. no luck at all.

If I can buy it from someone, I would go with 501, but it seems almost impossible.

So, based on the recommendations, I think I should go with HD 800!

What amps are you guys using with 800 for classical music??

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:Originally Posted by qwer9108 

"Thank you guys so much.... really...
I actually was searching frantically for AKG-K501 for few days, and nope. no luck at all.
If I can buy it from someone, I would go with 501, but it seems almost impossible.
What amps are you guys using with 800 for classical music??"

I think many of our sigs tell the story. I'm using both the b22/s22 and the Woo WA6SE. Both are amazing in their own rights. It just depends on if you prefer solid state or tubes.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Thank you guys so much.... really...

What amps are you guys using with 800 for classical music??

I'm using all three of my amps (WA2, MAD Ear+HD, Concerto...in that order).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back