Headphones for Classical music
Aug 22, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #61 of 108
I have a K612 and for me is one of the best headphones for the price category. It is very neutral, highs are not intrusive, and the 2K (typical AKG) peak is not as noticeable as in K701/K702. I can imagine why someone could find them 'boring' but this is not my judgement: they are neutral and the soundstage is excellent (not too wide, not too narrow). HD560S is neutral as well but the soundstage gives me a sense of fake dimension (The 'mid', voices in particular, has a somehow blurred image since they are not clearly centered ); perceived highs, in the specific unit of the HD560S I have tried, are above those of the K612: perfectly fine and not aggressive at all, but I find the K612 even more neutral in this regard. Moreover on crinacle's website you can see two samples of the HD560s with different levels on the highs, so there could be some (not irrelevant) unit variation. I stay with my opinion that if you stretch your budget a bit, the Hifiman Edition XS is the best of all the mentioned headphones (in my opinion including HD600 and HD650, and I have/have had both).
I have had and sold the Beyer, too: I agree, highs too elevated.
Thanks again. I did read that Crinacle rates the K612 as having a ‘dead neutral tuning and is a great all rounder’. Might be an option as long as they have the timbre, detail and separation that I’d like.
I’ve just looked online and the best price I can see for the Edition XS is £345, so it’s a possibility. Why would you rate it as the most suitable to my needs please? Thanks

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #62 of 108
I own and have owned many headphones. I listen mostly to classical. The AKG712 and the Beyer T1V2 are my choice. Believe me I have many other headphones and those 2 are my main choices. The Beyer DT1990 is my third choice. I have several amps but I always go back to tubes for those headphones. Just personal preference. My Auralic Taurus is a close second choice (for solid state). Just something about tubes seems to bring out the natural tone in classical music. I more often than not use my Cayin tube amp. Notice the far less expensive AKG712 is up there as a top choice for classical regardless of price.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #63 of 108
I own and have owned many headphones. I listen mostly to classical. The AKG712 and the Beyer T1V2 are my choice. Believe me I have many other headphones and those 2 are my main choices. The Beyer DT1990 is my third choice. I have several amps but I always go back to tubes for those headphones. Just personal preference. My Auralic Taurus is a close second choice (for solid state). Just something about tubes seems to bring out the natural tone in classical music. I more often than not use my Cayin tube amp. Notice the far less expensive AKG712 is up there as a top choice for classical regardless of price.
Thank you for the reply. I do really like the idea of the AKG K792. But as previously mentioned I do have a mild case of tinnitus in my right ear. So I want to try not to aggravate it if possible but still use headphones.
Can you tell me how ‘bright’ the 702 is please?
I want, if possible, to keep the natural timbre, detail retrieval and instrument separation but not have something overly bright that may cause me hearing issues in the future

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #64 of 108
Thanks again. I did read that Crinacle rates the K612 as having a ‘dead neutral tuning and is a great all rounder’. Might be an option as long as they have the timbre, detail and separation that I’d like.
I’ve just looked online and the best price I can see for the Edition XS is £345, so it’s a possibility. Why would you rate it as the most suitable to my needs please? Thanks
Edition XS has a neutral tuning, very good timbre and resolution, wide soundstage that sound dimensional but not fake. Highs are not offensive at all, for me they are just right: if your tinnitus is triggered by high or medium high frequencies I think that the XS could be well suited. I have not listened at the K712 mentioned above, but it is known for its excellent soundstage and warm tonality, and could be suited as well. Truth is that any of the mentioned headphones could be a good choice, and no one can say which one you will perceive as the better suited for your tastes. I understand that this may not be an option where you live, but it would be ideal to order 2 or 3 models, try them and keep just the one that you like the most.
However, I liked the Edition XS so much that I just ordered an Arya Stealth!

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #65 of 108
Edition XS has a neutral tuning, very good timbre and resolution, wide soundstage that sound dimensional but not fake. Highs are not offensive at all, for me they are just right: if your tinnitus is triggered by high or medium high frequencies I think that the XS could be well suited. I have not listened at the K712 mentioned above, but it is known for its excellent soundstage and warm tonality, and could be suited as well. Truth is that any of the mentioned headphones could be a good choice, and no one can say which one you will perceive as the better suited for your tastes. I understand that this may not be an option where you live, but it would be ideal to order 2 or 3 models, try them and keep just the one that you like the most.
However, I liked the Edition XS so much that I just ordered an Arya Stealth!
Thank you. I’m once again thinking about getting the R70X. Been speaking with a friend who has HD600, R70X, Sundara and Ananda. Although the Ananda is probably the better option, but more expensive, he rates the R70X above the other two. And feels that they would be an excellent option.

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #66 of 108
HIfiman HE1000 V2 is what I use now with full satisfaction for the classical music. There may be better ones for the piano, but I HE1000 works very well.
I have had HD650, replaced by Ananda, then Arya SE, and now by HE1000. Along with the upgrade, I gained more sound image texture, materialization, and wider stage.
These transition to me was very straight forward.
I still own HD650, and Anada for backups. All made me happy in their play yard.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #67 of 108
I generally use the Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen (out of your budget) and K712 for orchestral works. If it's sonata (solo or with piano where stage and separation aren't AS important) I use my HD600. Opera is not quite a strong suit for me as Im an instrumentalist and generally don't focus in on the voices. My guess would be the HD600 would be just fine as the orchestra is just background but don't quote me. I have a ton of planars (some that are higher end all the way up to the Arya Stealth) but i tend to avoid planar drivers for classical. You don't really need the extension and the timbre is generally much more natural to me on dynamic driver headphones. But generally, yeah.....classical music lovers tend to opt for AKG, Grado, Sennheiser 6 series.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #68 of 108
we're quite similar (except i have the T1 1st gen but also love the K712). I also tend to go straight for my Feliks Audio Espressivo Mk2 tube amp as well

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #69 of 108
I generally use the Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen (out of your budget) and K712 for orchestral works. If it's sonata (solo or with piano where stage and separation aren't AS important) I use my HD600. Opera is not quite a strong suit for me as Im an instrumentalist and generally don't focus in on the voices. My guess would be the HD600 would be just fine as the orchestra is just background but don't quote me. I have a ton of planars (some that are higher end all the way up to the Arya Stealth) but i tend to avoid planar drivers for classical. You don't really need the extension and the timbre is generally much more natural to me on dynamic driver headphones. But generally, yeah.....classical music lovers tend to opt for AKG, Grado, Sennheiser 6 series.
Appreciate your reply. Thank you. I listen to mainly classical now with some Classic Rock, Prog Rock and acoustic Americana thrown in.
With classical it can be anywhere from full orchestral symphonies to Baroque, chamber music, string quartets and solo instrument albums (cello, piano, guitar etc).
I would imagine that the HD600 would be better with the smaller ensemble, more intimate staging? Or will it handle the full symphonic works well and give me the detail and instrument separation that I like please?
I’m genuinely edging towards the 600

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #70 of 108
Aug 23, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #71 of 108
Appreciate your reply. Thank you. I listen to mainly classical now with some Classic Rock, Prog Rock and acoustic Americana thrown in.
With classical it can be anywhere from full orchestral symphonies to Baroque, chamber music, string quartets and solo instrument albums (cello, piano, guitar etc).
I would imagine that the HD600 would be better with the smaller ensemble, more intimate staging? Or will it handle the full symphonic works well and give me the detail and instrument separation that I like please?
I used to think that HD600 is incapable of handling full symphonic pieces. Tonight I compared the HD800s to the HD600 listening to Bruckner’s 4th and I preferred the HD600 again. It sounds closer to the sound of the concert hall IMO. However, I used mscaler+Dave+HPA4 for this comparison. The HD800 and HD600 are both excellent in their own way, but I think HD600 is more accurate and natural sounding while HD 800 has more air.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #73 of 108
I used to think that HD600 is incapable of handling full symphonic pieces. Tonight I compared the HD800s to the HD600 listening to Bruckner’s 4th and I preferred the HD600 again. It sounds closer to the sound of the concert hall IMO. However, I used mscaler+Dave+HPA4 for this comparison. The HD800 and HD600 are both excellent in their own way, but I think HD600 is more accurate and natural sounding while HD 800 has more air.
This is where my confusion comes in. I’ve been informed in other places that of my two options, the Sundara handles classical including full symphonies much better than the HD600, which is better with more intimate pieces. But in your experience the HD600 handles it just fine.
Also I have been told that my cheap little set up (IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack), is not really good enough for the HD600 but would suit the Sundara better. So is the reason that you find that the HD600 is good with full orchestral music because your system is far better? Interesting

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #74 of 108
no no....the HD600 are quite capable, the stage is just right there. From a timbre perspective they are one of the most natural sounding headphones ever made.....their mids are magical. It's just that it's EASIER to identify the separation and detail with the T1 and K712 since those have much more air. It's all really personal preference. For me, I like to read music sheets for orchestral scores while i listen so I really do need to be able to QUICKLY just focus in on certain sections as I read s the other 2 suit my needs more. Given you are also throwing in Classic rock/prog in with classical the HD6 series might be the way to go. Don't know how important bass is to you but if it is and you do decide the HD6 route, I'd look at the HD660s or pad swap the 600

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #75 of 108
no no....the HD600 are quite capable, the stage is just right there. From a timbre perspective they are one of the most natural sounding headphones ever made.....their mids are magical. It's just that it's EASIER to identify the separation and detail with the T1 and K712 since those have much more air. It's all really personal preference. For me, I like to read music sheets for orchestral scores while i listen so I really do need to be able to QUICKLY just focus in on certain sections as I read s the other 2 suit my needs more. Given you are also throwing in Classic rock/prog in with classical the HD6 series might be the way to go. Don't know how important bass is to you but if it is and you do decide the HD6 route, I'd look at the HD660s or pad swap the 600
Oh it’s awesome that you are reading scores whilst listening! I have only recently learned to read music, but only for playing guitar purposes.
So if only listening to say full symphonies, is the separation and detail good enough, or can the HD600 get muddled in faster, full orchestral sections? Because this is the issue I find at times with my Grado. And I want to avoid that.
The bass response is not so important to me especially as you know in classical. But looking at a comparison of FR graphs the HD600 seems to be very similar to my Grado in that respect and I find it ample for my taste in Classic Rock and Prog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back