Headphones for Classical music
Sep 3, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #91 of 108
Congrats on your new headphone!

I find the HD6 series to be underrated for classical - despite their relative shorrtcomings in the soundstage and imaging departments, their natural tonality and resolution more than make up for it.

I still consider the HD800 to still be the holy grail of headphones for classical music, and in that respect, I think the AKG 702's come closest to replicating their attributes. I can attest that on a proper system, the 702's can almost rival the HD800's sense of detail and soundstage width.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #92 of 108
Quick update. I ended up buying a pair of 6 month old, mint condition Sennheiser HD660S for £215. Included were a pair of Dekoni Hybrid pads which I’m yet to try.
I’ve only had them 4 days yet and so far have listened to 28 albums (mostly classical). I’m using them balanced into my Ifi Zen Dac v2 and Zen Can stack.
Reviews of these seemed to vary between warm,veiled and lacking detail and soundstage to natural, balanced, well detailed and excellent imaging. Right now I’m in the second group. These are not veiled at all. Details are excellent as is imaging. Soundstage although not huge is actually very good. Instrument timbre seems very realistic. It’s engaging and good to listen to. All in all, and it’s early days, I’m really impressed.

Good stuff. I believe the "veiled" criticism really is limited to the 650/Drop 6XX model. Anyhow, enjoy! (oh, you also may want to invest in an ugraded balanced cable as well.....nothing too crazy, more for ease of use and little more volume)

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #93 of 108
Congrats on your new headphone!

I find the HD6 series to be underrated for classical - despite their relative shorrtcomings in the soundstage and imaging departments, their natural tonality and resolution more than make up for it.

I still consider the HD800 to still be the holy grail of headphones for classical music, and in that respect, I think the AKG 702's come closest to replicating their attributes. I can attest that on a proper system, the 702's can almost rival the HD800's sense of detail and soundstage width.
Thank you. I seriously considered the AKG K702 for a long time. But maybe my system wouldn’t bring out its best attributes.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #94 of 108
Good stuff. I believe the "veiled" criticism really is limited to the 650/Drop 6XX model. Anyhow, enjoy! (oh, you also may want to invest in an ugraded balanced cable as well.....nothing too crazy, more for ease of use and little more volume)
Possibly. But there were definitely reviews and comments saying that the 660S is the same in that respect.
As you know I’m fairly new to this hobby but to my ears, these do not sound veiled in the slightest.
Thanks for the advice re the balanced cable. I’m using the provided Sennheiser one at present. I’ll look into a replacement

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #95 of 108
Possibly. But there were definitely reviews and comments saying that the 660S is the same in that respect.
As you know I’m fairly new to this hobby but to my ears, these do not sound veiled in the slightest.
Thanks for the advice re the balanced cable. I’m using the provided Sennheiser one at present. I’ll look into a replacement

yeah, I think it's a little blown out of proportion and really only comes up when someone has a pair of original HD600 to compare and A-B to. I notice it when I switch between my 600 and 6xx but honestly i forget about it if I've been listening to my 6xx a few songs in

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #96 of 108
yeah, I think it's a little blown out of proportion and really only comes up when someone has a pair of original HD600 to compare and A-B to. I notice it when I switch between my 600 and 6xx but honestly i forget about it if I've been listening to my 6xx a few songs in
Yes seems fair. I can only say that I’m enjoying these very much. And that they seem to suit my listening genres very well too.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #98 of 108
How is the DT770 or Custom One Pro for classical? Is it good?

That's a LOT of bass and mid bass for classical IMO. The mids are pretty set back so pianos or voices might suffer. The highs are peaky to me so that could be an issue. I think at the end of the day the bass will really kind of mess up a lot of classical tracks (especially when trying to locate mid and upper imaging and desiring any amount of space or separation)

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #100 of 108
Any good closed back with real isolation in the price range? Is the Rode NTH 100 good for classical?

Honestly? just change one letter. The dt 177x go does a LOT better job (Drop lowered the huge bass shelf and quelled some of the peaky highs, especially around 8K). Sorry, I haven't listened to many closed backs around that price range. Another one that I enjoy (but ONLY on a hybrid tube amp which involves a whole another world of tube rolling) is the Aeon RT Closed which is around $100 more bc it's MUCH more neutral but it still separates and images quite well for it's price.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #101 of 108
Honestly? just change one letter. The dt 177x go does a LOT better job (Drop lowered the huge bass shelf and quelled some of the peaky highs, especially around 8K). Sorry, I haven't listened to many closed backs around that price range. Another one that I enjoy (but ONLY on a hybrid tube amp which involves a whole another world of tube rolling) is the Aeon RT Closed which is around $100 more bc it's MUCH more neutral but it still separates and images quite well for it's price.
thanks! Those are a bit out of my range though.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #102 of 108
thanks! Those are a bit out of my range though.

Oh! Totally forgot.....AKG K371! Those would be great for classical

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #104 of 108
I thought it was too harmanish? Still good without needing to equalize them?

well I actually don't think harman is THAT bad for classical.....it's definitely less severe than the DT1770 which is almost a sharp checkmark (vs a V). It's kinda hard given your price range and closed back requirements. The Rode has no treble which would be horrible for classical, the DT1770 too much bass......Harman curve actually bisects those 2 options rather well. Other closed backs in that range.....don't quote me but I think they'd all mostly be tuned with too high of a bass shelf. Dead neutral is kinda hard to find at that range......it might be the best bet with what's available

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #105 of 108
well I actually don't think harman is THAT bad for classical.....it's definitely less severe than the DT1770 which is almost a sharp checkmark (vs a V). It's kinda hard given your price range and closed back requirements. The Rode has no treble which would be horrible for classical, the DT1770 too much bass......Harman curve actually bisects those 2 options rather well. Other closed backs in that range.....don't quote me but I think they'd all mostly be tuned with too high of a bass shelf. Dead neutral is kinda hard to find at that range......it might be the best bet with what's available
Thanks. Not much choice for me then. The K361 should also be similar to K371 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back