Headphones for Classical music
Jul 31, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #16 of 108
Am I right in thinking that the soundstage is extremely narrow though? If so not really good for orchestral pieces?

Yes, but somehow it still does an excellent job. I have had to hold on to the 600 specifically because it does this genre so well. Just hits it outta the park every time.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 108
The Audio-Technica ATH-R70X are from Japan, and maybe there is a good price on them in Thailand. They are amazingly comfortable, spacious and natural. My other set is Grado SR325, and the ATH-R70X have replaced them for everything but the most guitar-centered rock.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 108
HD600 is an amazing headphone both in sound comfort if you can swing the price. the closest thing i have listened to classical is Metallicas S&M album and Lindsey Sterling so i dont think i can give you an opinion on your specific genres.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #23 of 108
I have had and sold the HD600: it's a very good headphone, and if the wide soundstage is not a priority it is an excellent choice. For me, anyway, if not for the wide soundstage of the Hifiman XS, I would choose Austrian Audio Hi-X65 over the HD600. I kept the X65 because the sense of detail and tightness is above any other HP I own (including the XS). I also prefer the X65 soundstage and sense of depth to those of HD600. HD600 and X65 have emphasis on different regions of the high registry: I was bothered more by the slight 3K peak of the HD600 than by the peaks in the high registry of the X65, but this is of course a personal assessment. And moreover, for classical I prefer the HD650 to the HD600 (I still own the 650).
I actually think that all these headphones (and probably the Sundara) can be excellent for classical, and one can prefer the one over the other purely for personal and taste reasons.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #24 of 108
Am I right in thinking that the soundstage is extremely narrow though? If so not really good for orchestral pieces?
I wouldn't call it extremely narrow, it's the tonality of the HD600 that makes them so great for classical. They are a neutral headphone with a slight emphasis on the mids which is great for classical. The only negative with the HD600 is the lack of sub-bass which is not needed for classical anyway.

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 108
I wouldn't call it extremely narrow, it's the tonality of the HD600 that makes them so great for classical. They are a neutral headphone with a slight emphasis on the mids which is great for classical. The only negative with the HD600 is the lack of sub-bass which is not needed for classical anyway.
Thank you. Would the soundstage be narrower than my 325x for example?

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #28 of 108
Let me bring in a wild card. My favorite pair for classical music: Philips Fidelio X3.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 108
Thanks. Can you explain why they are so suited to classical music please?

The 600 has a very fast driver that is capable of conveying a nimble transient response. So the perception is that instruments on the stage aren't pushed in to the background or missed entirely (unlike imo w the 650/6xx). The 600 also is the timbre and tonal king. So strings sound unbelievable and instruments in general sound extremely realistic. These are the specific things that make the 600 a winner w classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back