Headphones for Classical music
Aug 1, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #32 of 108
I assume they are very different to the X2HR?
Yes, they are better balanced and less grainy. To my ears the Fidelio X3 is like a consumer version of the HD650. A bit brighter and with a better sense of soundstage (more evenly spread out).
Their treble (6-8K) can be a bit hot, but to my ears never fatiguing. But because they have a dip in their frequency range between 1 and 2K violins hardly ever grate. This is very welcome with Baroque concerti, played by HIP ensembles with very little or no vibrato. Those long stretched legato lines in adagios and largos, usually very close miked, can sound edgy and fatiguing. Not so with the Fidelio X3s.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #33 of 108
Yes, they are better balanced and less grainy. To my ears the Fidelio X3 is like a consumer version of the HD650. A bit brighter and with a better sense of soundstage (more evenly spread out).
Their treble (6-8K) can be a bit hot, but to my ears never fatiguing. But because they have a dip in their frequency range between 1 and 2K violins hardly ever grate. This is very welcome with Baroque concerti, played by HIP ensembles with very little or no vibrato. Those long stretched legato lines in adagios and largos, usually very close miked, can sound edgy and fatiguing. Not so with the Fidelio X3s.
Thanks again. That’s very interesting re the dip around 1-2k. I can definitely relate to violins in Baroque sometimes getting a little hot. My Grado’s have a bump in that frequency area and so it’s emphasised. I temper it by using G Cushions. To me it means I keep all of the details and staging but cool the treble.
How do the X3 handle technicalities such as detail retrieval and instrument separation please? (Especially in orchestral works)

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #35 of 108
The 600 has a very fast driver that is capable of conveying a nimble transient response. So the perception is that instruments on the stage aren't pushed in to the background or missed entirely (unlike imo w the 650/6xx). The 600 also is the timbre and tonal king. So strings sound unbelievable and instruments in general sound extremely realistic. These are the specific things that make the 600 a winner w classical.
Thanks very much indeed for the explanation. Appreciate it. I’m keeping an open mind right now as to what to buy but with so many recommending them I’d be silly not to consider the 600.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 108
Thanks again. That’s very interesting re the dip around 1-2k. I can definitely relate to violins in Baroque sometimes getting a little hot. My Grado’s have a bump in that frequency area and so it’s emphasised. I temper it by using G Cushions. To me it means I keep all of the details and staging but cool the treble.
How do the X3 handle technicalities such as detail retrieval and instrument separation please? (Especially in orchestral works)
Fidelio X3 is slightly less detailed than the HD650s, but this may well because the mids are not as forward as HD650's. Instrument separation and imaging is better. Large orchestral works like Mahler symphonies, works by Bartok sound fabulous. Smaller ensemble works sound wonderful as well, but not as intimate as the HD650s.

Aug 3, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #37 of 108
I only listen to classical music and I highly recommend the HD 600.

I bought and sold the HD 600/650 more than 3 times in the past ten years, as a young and unseasoned listener I preferred the 701/702 and HD 800 but never felt comfortable with the sound. After a couple hours of listening to K 7XX or HD800 fatigue kicks in.

Recently I listened to a high end set up of M Scaler-> Dave -> Headroom BUDA + PSU unit -> HD 600. I couldn’t believe my ears.

The HD 600 transformed into something else. We didn’t have a balanced cable so it was driven single ended.

I was surprised by the level of transparency, Instruments sounded life like and vivid. I know how that sounds as I attend classical concerts frequently, at least once a month.

The HD 800 was available to compare in balanced mode and the HD 600 sounded better to my ears.

On a low end gear the HD 600 will sound boring, that’s why I sold them in the past. If not driven properly you’ll have a narrow soundstage and a veiled sound.

My main listening set up is Harbeth 40.2 speakers. The HD 600 driven well is the only headphone I know which matches the magical sound of Harbeth.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 108
I only listen to classical music and I highly recommend the HD 600.

I bought and sold the HD 600/650 more than 3 times in the past ten years, as a young and unseasoned listener I preferred the 701/702 and HD 800 but never felt comfortable with the sound. After a couple hours of listening to K 7XX or HD800 fatigue kicks in.

Recently I listened to a high end set up of M Scaler-> Dave -> Headroom BUDA + PSU unit -> HD 600. I couldn’t believe my ears.

The HD 600 transformed into something else. We didn’t have a balanced cable so it was driven single ended.

I was surprised by the level of transparency, Instruments sounded life like and vivid. I know how that sounds as I attend classical concerts frequently, at least once a month.

The HD 800 was available to compare in balanced mode and the HD 600 sounded better to my ears.

On a low end gear the HD 600 will sound boring, that’s why I sold them in the past. If not driven properly you’ll have a narrow soundstage and a veiled sound.

My main listening set up is Harbeth 40.2 speakers. The HD 600 driven well is the only headphone I know which matches the magical sound of Harbeth.
I’m now very very interested in the HD600. It is actually top of my list.
I’ll be driving them with a Zen Dac V2 and a Zen Can, probably balanced. I’m hoping they would comfortably provide enough power and headroom.
I’ve read though that the HD600 doesn’t image particularly well or retrieve so much detail. Would you say that’s inaccurate please? Thanks

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #40 of 108
I’m now very, very interested in the HD600. It is top of my list.
I’ll be driving them with a Zen Dac V2 and a Zen Can, probably balanced. I’m hoping they would comfortably provide enough power and headroom.
I’ve read though that the HD600 doesn’t image particularly well or retrieve so much detail. Would you say that’s inaccurate please? Thanks
The HD 600 doesn’t image as well as high-end headphones, and neither has the same level of detail. However, the imaging and detail are more than decent. In my experience, I have never heard a headphone that combines superb detail and accurate timbre. I have the Susvara, the Utopia and the HD800S and I tried others. I still prefer the HD600 with a wide margin.

If you’re interested you could get a Benchmark Dac1 USB used around $300 on eBay or US audiomart. It’s an excellent dac and amp for the price, It can’t do DSD music though.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #41 of 108
The HD 600 doesn’t image as well as high-end headphones, and neither has the same level of detail. However, the imaging and detail are more than decent. In my experience, I have never heard a headphone that combines superb detail and accurate timbre. I have the Susvara, the Utopia and the HD800S and I tried others. I still prefer the HD600 with a wide margin.

If you’re interested you could get a Benchmark Dac1 USB used around $300 on eBay or US audiomart. It’s an excellent dac and amp for the price, It can’t do DSD music though.
Thank you. I’m just wondering if the HD600 would give me what I’m looking for.
Hopefully as the midrange is so good that will help.
Another that’s been recommended to me is the Hifiman Ananda. There is only £120 difference between the new prices here for Ananda and HD600.
Thank you for the amp and DAC recommendation. I appreciate it. But I literally bought my Zen DAC v2 2 weeks ago and I’ve got a Zen Can arriving tomorrow, so not thinking about changing that side of things for quite a while now.

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #42 of 108
Thank you. I’m just wondering if the HD600 would give me what I’m looking for.
Hopefully as the midrange is so good that will help.
Another that’s been recommended to me is the Hifiman Ananda. There is only £120 difference between the new prices here for Ananda and HD600.
Thank you for the amp and DAC recommendation. I appreciate it. But I literally bought my Zen DAC v2 2 weeks ago and I’ve got a Zen Can arriving tomorrow, so not thinking about changing that side of things for quite a while now.
One thing to keep in mind, the HD600 would be easy to resell if you didn't like them as they're quite popular headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back