Headphones for classical music, unamped
Jan 30, 2011 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ShanDo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

for a few reasons, I had to sold mine HD595+amp, which I liked.

Now I need headphones for classical music, which are kind of more durable (not extreme use, but I travel little bit more now), are closed or semiopen (I would prefer lower sound leakage and better insulation than opened HD595), and which can be driven by laptop without loosing high amount of sound quality. I do not plan to buy amp right now, this solution would be more temporary (maybe for a year or so).

I will buy them in Germany, so pls give advice for models available in EU. Price range is arround 100 €, can be up to 120€ maybe. No problem to buy used one on ebay or amazon, also older models not in production anymore.

So far I was thinking of AKG K271S, 240 (should sound good, but 600 ohm does not look that drivable), or some new AKG 242 HD or 272 HD. Of course Shure 840, but price is too high, maybe 440?

Thanks for advice.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Hey everyone,

for a few reasons, I had to sold mine HD595+amp, which I liked.

Now I need headphones for classical music, which are kind of more durable (not extreme use, but I travel little bit more now), are closed or semiopen (I would prefer lower sound leakage and better insulation than opened HD595), and which can be driven by laptop without loosing high amount of sound quality. I do not plan to buy amp right now, this solution would be more temporary (maybe for a year or so).

I will buy them in Germany, so pls give advice for models available in EU. Price range is arround 100 €, can be up to 120€ maybe. No problem to buy used one on ebay or amazon, also older models not in production anymore.

So far I was thinking of AKG K271S, 240 (should sound good, but 600 ohm does not look that drivable), or some new AKG 242 HD or 272 HD. Of course Shure 840, but price is too high, maybe 440?

Thanks for advice.

The K-271MKll, and the GMP 8.35 D Monitor are a great option.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 6
You'll need to save up a little more to get something decent. IMO. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 6
for their price, i like the beyerdynamics dt231s. i imagine they don't scale up pretty much, but without an amp for that money you could do much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back