Headphones for bassheads.
Jan 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #46 of 51

Quote:

People have had different experiences I guess. For example, head-fi user wind has had positive experience with the PRO550's (assumingly same as dj1 pro) and said they had very fuffilling bass; whereas when i listened to them, the bass was very weak. Hes was running unamped out of a cowon, i was running unamped out of an onboard card/iphone.In regards to the shures, whats keeping me away from those is both the comfort, and build quality(and coiled cord, not my preference x]). From what Ive been reading about the build, it seems as if the product shouldve been branded as "hasbro".

Those are the reason for your different experiences, onboard sound or iphone as a source will never deliver truly fulfilling bass especially for a Pro550. Cowon especially are known for having amazing bass boost capabilities which is worlds apart what can be said about onboard sound or iphone. You're missing out on a lot as long as those stays as your sources you use.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #47 of 51

Quote:
Quote:

People have had different experiences I guess. For example, head-fi user wind has had positive experience with the PRO550's (assumingly same as dj1 pro) and said they had very fuffilling bass; whereas when i listened to them, the bass was very weak. Hes was running unamped out of a cowon, i was running unamped out of an onboard card/iphone.In regards to the shures, whats keeping me away from those is both the comfort, and build quality(and coiled cord, not my preference x]). From what Ive been reading about the build, it seems as if the product shouldve been branded as "hasbro".

Those are the reason for your different experiences, onboard sound or iphone as a source will never deliver truly fulfilling bass especially for a Pro550. Cowon especially are known for having amazing bass boost capabilities which is worlds apart what can be said about onboard sound or iphone. You're missing out on a lot as long as those stays as your sources you use.

Oh I definitely expect to lose some quality when running off an onboard, but that's why I'm looking for a set of cans that don't require an amp to sound amazing. From what I've heard of the HFI-580, they hold up pretty well in that regard, about 80-85% their potential via onboard, likely due to their low impedance; which is why I'm leaning in that direction.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #48 of 51
Yea I thought I had made that clear when asking at first as well, I am only driving my cans off my Macbook Pro.  Maybe I'd use them off my iPod at some point but as long as my new cans sound bangin coming straight off my Mac I have no issues.  Seems like the 580/DJ1's will do that.  Only other real option is the M50 which sacrifices a little clarity of the Ultrasones for some comfort and more deep tone bass rather than a punch.  At least that's what I've gathered after all the discussion going on.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #50 of 51
My two favorite basshead cans of those I've heard are the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Beyerdynamic DT-770.  Of those I haven't heard, The Denon D5000 is the one that seems most appealing.  None of them are particularly hard to drive, so an E11 is fine. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #51 of 51
Hey I'm also looking to buy a pair of bassy headphones. Was almost set to buy the pro700mk2's but, after even more research I neglected to buy because I heard of how much the vocals are overpowered and mids/highs aren't very good. So any suggestions on a pair I should get? I don't want it to hurt overall SQ too much, and would prefer detachable cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back