Headphones for bassheads.
Sep 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 51
Not a headphone but an amp. M^3 with Bass Boost and you're set 
beerchug.gif
 Ask someone to build it for you and specify how much bass you want. As Thommohawk said, you may or may not regret it. It's safer to go for a M^3 so you can control the bass with a knob and/or easily swap out different caps. If you do decide you want it less boomy, there's the knob.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 51
Am I the only one hear who actually enjoyed the XB series? Yeah their are higher fidelity headphones on the market but for the price they are pretty nice. I mean if he was asking about the Beats which are lower quality to my ears then the XB series then this would be different. The fact is for this price the XB300/500/700 are all very good at what they do.

Oh and if you looking for a new sound card, the Asus Xonar DG should be released either later this quarter or early next quarter. It will be like the STX but at a $50 price point and it's aimed at the Headphone user market with an onbard amp and the decent asus drivers.

But yeah overall my time with the XB500 was good, I'm not even a basshead and I enjoyed it.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 51
XB series are good.  The XB700 bass makes your ears shakes. Fun headphones.  I don't know if they are the best or the worst, but I do know that they are fun and they do have tremendous bass production.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 51
HFI 580's!! When I crank it on songs with heavy bass it's like having subs sitting on your ears =]

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #21 of 51
Denon AH-D2000 or 1001.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 51
From memory, these are ones to look into (especially if running unamped):

Denon D2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Denon D1100

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #23 of 51
My personal favorite when it comes to bass-heavy headphones is the Pioneer HDJ-1000. Though i haven't heard most of the other headphones that are mentioned in the thread i know from experience the HDJ-1000 is sick. There is 1 issue with it though, its kinda fragile, so u'd really have to look out and handle it with uttermost care.

U can hear the emphasis is on the bass since both the quality and quantity is better/bigger than the rest of the sound.
However this doesnt mean the rest is bad, its just less good than the bass.
A lot of DJ's that i know use or used them. Mainly the ones that spin hardstyle/hardcore music.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 51
As a sidenote, if anyone tells you to go with the HFI-680's or HFI-780's, I'd vote against that. They seem to have an eq more neutral than that of the 580's (not that they aren't great phones). Also, they have smaller drivers.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 51
I'm also looking for something rather bass heavy but I don't want to sacrifice clarity that I get on my Senn HD555's.. looking around the same price range, and I am rather picky about certain things like I REALLY want a coiled cord, and I want something that might end up being good to tinker mixing with on my macbook pro.  Won't be using an amp or anything crazy, and don't want to spend a ton of money obviously.  I was leaning toward the Audio-Technica ATHM50?

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #27 of 51
Ultrasone HFI-580 are excellent choice if you want emphasized bass without sacrificing any detail/clarity.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #28 of 51
DENON - AHD-7000 offer bass emphasis yet have quality in the mids and highs.  They are not cheap.  Good stuff rarely is.

Audeze LCD-2's have the flattest (most accurate) bass response of any headphone I've heard - they are within 1 dB down to 10 Hz, and with very low distortion.  

You can always use EQ to pep up the bass, but be sure the headphones can actually reproduce it and the amp can deliver a little power.  Remember dB's are logarithmic and that a 3 dB boost is TWICE the power, and 10 dB of boost is TEN TIMES the power! (See, there actually IS a use for that math they tried to teach in school)

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #29 of 51
I second the D7000. These can go LOOOOOOOOOW, but maintain the integrity of the mids, and have sparkly highs. A winning combo for sure.

I'm still enthralled by their bass... it's ridiculous to have such awesome bass and yet no smearing.

I just didn't recommend it first because it's expeeeeeensive, lol.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #30 of 51

Quote:
Wait, mixing like DJ mixing or sound production?

DJ mixing.. playing around with Tracktor and DJay, and considering getting an inexpensive controller eventually just to fool around with 

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-580 are excellent choice if you want emphasized bass without sacrificing any detail/clarity.

Yea I seem to be leaning that direction a little now because chances are the 580's still have a lot more bass than my Senn HD555's yet will still be really comfortable and clear.  However I might look at the Ultrasone DJ1's because they are the same as the 580's but with coiled cord I've been told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back