Headphones for ALTERNATIVE ROCK.
Jul 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SANYA

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones (and) to listen to alternative rock and trance.
[size=small]Like:    [/size]
[size=small]Linkin Park, Papa Roach , Korn , 30 Seconds to Mars,Thousand Foot Krutch[/size]
[size=small]Ferry Corsten, Armin.[/size]
I have  Audio Technica ATH-ES55 , but they are weak and do not clean bass.
Advise please headphones with excellent bass and sound in his ears which would be comfortable and not hot.
Budget up to $ 130 and $ 200.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

Well, instantly, I would suggest the Grado SR225i. It's great for music like that. If you simply are a basshead though and want more bass, take a look at the AudioTechnica Pro700MK2 or BeyerDyanmic DT770 Pro 80 or Ultrasone HFI 580.

I would get the Ultrasone HFI 580 or the Grado SR225i myself.

Are you looking for portability? Do you have amplification already or does the headphone need to be able to drive without a dedicated amp?

Very best,

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 9
In your price range, I would whole-heartedly agree with the Grado.  If you want something more comfortable, and with more bass extension, you could also checkout the Denon AH-D1100.  The Denon AH-D2000 used would also fit your price range.  Either way, you can put all your money into the headphones, as neither absolutely needs an amp.  

Quote:
Heya,

Well, instantly, I would suggest the Grado SR225i

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 9
You might also look into the med-fi range of Sennheiser: the HD555 and the HD595/598
They do however need an amp. You can get some entry level amps for around $50, but that would mean you'd be overstretching your budget.

Without an amp the HD 25-1 II is what comes to my mind. I will receive one of those tomorrow, and I'll use it with my iPod unamped when I'm going on vacation.
I can give you my impression tomorrow.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 9
The Ultrasone HFI-780 or 580, or the Denon D2000. Out of those three I would choose the HFI-780 for your music.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Shure SRH750 DJ.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 9
For rock/alt, I would DEFINITELY recommend the Grado 2251, or 325i, if you can fork out that much (you would be happy with it if you did). I find my Turbine Pro Coppers handle most rock genres well, especially Muse (my favourite artist). Besides that The Ultrasone HFI-580s do really well with rock.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 9
So I received the HD 25-1 II's. I find that they are pretty detailed, especially in the mid-range. Good for vocals and acoustic.
On the other hand, the bass is quite lacking as most people said. It just misses that 'slam' that I do feel when listening to can such as the HD 650 currently sitting on my head. As a result I would avoid when listening to bass heavy genres such as much of the electronic music.
Most rock, on the other hand, would do quite fine with these cans.

I have tried this can both with and without an amp, and I can tell for sure that there is a difference. But it's not a huge difference. It would be worth it to buy/build a sub $60 amp for this can, but it's not essential to enjoy it.

On one final note: the comfort. This is mainly why I bought this can, because I found that IEM's can get quite uncomfortable after wearing them for multiple hours. Full size cans are simply more comfortable, and by god this thing is comfortable, despite it's large clamping force.

In my opinion this is an ideal portable can. Whether it's an ideal can for at home: I don't now. Although it is definitely a serious competitor when you would not use an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back