Headphones for a Mac
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #16 of 33
The DT880 has a bit less bass and a bit more detail than the 770. I personally prefer the sound of the 770. I haven't heard the 272, unfortunately, so I can't comment.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
so I have deciding between 3

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones (250 ohms)
Denon AHD2000

with
HeadRoom Total BitHead

Personally, I'd go with the D2000 though I admittedly haven't heard the other two. They have good bass when amped more than neutral a slight recessed midrange and a bit of a bump in the highs. I find them to sound very good and they are a great modding platform. Check out the link in my sig and Lawton Audio's website.

If detail, neutrality, or soundstage is your priority FWIR the DT880 would be a good option though I don't know how they would pair with the Bithead.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 33
Well, at the Apple Store, they pair all their iPods with the Bose On-Ear Headphones, probably because of the close synergy between the Nano and the BOEH.

[He says, snickering as he slips away . . . . ]

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 33

[size=medium]
I'd recommend Apogee Duet for any Mac user.
The Duet is doing very well for Headphone amp and DAC for that price.
regular_smile .gif

If you love bass,try DT990 600 ohm (about $230 on Amazon) ,or Denon D2000.
[/size]

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #23 of 33
Your taste in music is similar to mine. Here are my picks, from high to low.:

1. Denon D5000 
2. Shure SRH840
3. Beyerdynamics DT770
4. Beyerdynamics DT880

Not so much an M50. 

Btw, I've tried all of these

Just some samples of what I listen to: Eminem, Nine Inch Nails, Jack Johnson, Michael Jackson, Sublime, Green Day, Breaking Benjamin, and Drowning Pool. 

I hardly ever amp my headphones. I wouldn't suggest a pocket amplifier because the impact on the sound quality is so low that it's not worth the money, in my opinion. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 33

Quote:

I'd recommend Apogee Duet for any Mac user.
The Duet is doing very well for Headphone amp and DAC for that price.
regular_smile .gif

If you love bass,try DT990 600 ohm (about $230 on Amazon) ,or Denon D2000.

I use a Duet for my pro rig, because the converters are excellent and the preamps are about as good as you'll find in a portable unit.  Buying a duet for the dac and headphone amp section alone is a huge waste of money; I'd suggest going with something like the Carat Emerald or Hifiman EF2a.  I would also cast my vote for the Denon D2000 among those three.  Best balance of bass impact, imaging and detail imho.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #25 of 33
Just a suggestion.

For the budget minded and still seeking for good isolation, good sound-stage and sonic representation is the Sennheiser HD201.  Very good sounding and very easy to drive using either the ipod, iphone, and or the laptop computer such as the Macbook Pro or other mobile computer system.

Sony has a few offerings only I don't prefer the sound it produces.

AKG has a few portable offerings but one in particular is the P99 and through Amazon, the price is around $70.00 USD and provides excellent sound-stage presentation with good dynamic and stereo fidelity.  Isolation is on par with the Sennheiser HD201.

Get feedback from others here in the forum to see if which one may be right for you.  The headphones that I have mentioned are circumaural which means the headphones cover the entire ear for the best level of isolation and comfort.

Hope this helps

Have a great week and weekend

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 33
If I was going to spend $600 I'd go for the ATH-W1000x and skip the amp for now, I think they are significantly better than both the A900 (which are pretty dull IMHO) and D2000s (although the D2000 is a pretty safe bet for the money).  The DT880 is good if you're okay with open phones but you will want an amp (I've owned all of these, currently using the ATH-W1000x with an Apogee Duet but it still sounds great straight out of the MBP headphone jack).  I think the ATH-ESW9 is also great and they are much more affordable so you might consider those too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so I have deciding between 3

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones (250 ohms)
Denon AHD2000

with
HeadRoom Total BitHead

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 33
Try and find some second-hand or new (but not fake from Hong Kong sellers on eBay) Audio Technica ESW9s. They are great out of iPods, Macs and the like.  There is also a pair of ESW10JPNs going cheap in the trading forums here. Both are small and sit on, rather than around your ears though, but that makes them usefully portable.  Either are great all-round headphones. Worry about amps, DACs and the like afterwards.  DT880s tend to have piercing highs made worse by poor amplification. D2000s would work though. They do tend to be somewhat boomy, but that might be ok with you.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:
THANK YOU for all your help everyone!

I am going to forget an amp for now.
Is their any difference between AH-D2000 and AH-D5000 except for the wooden housing?

As far as I know it's just the cable and housing.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #30 of 33

Apogee Duet Dac section is not bad at all.
I've owned Lavry DA10,Grace M902 ,Stello DA100 and The Duet is in the same leauge.
Right now I have Ayre QB9 and I have to say QB9 is much better overall but considering Duet's price ,its not a waste of money at all.

Quote:
I use a Duet for my pro rig, because the converters are excellent and the preamps are about as good as you'll find in a portable unit.  Buying a duet for the dac and headphone amp section alone is a huge waste of money; I'd suggest going with something like the Carat Emerald or Hifiman EF2a.  I would also cast my vote for the Denon D2000 among those three.  Best balance of bass impact, imaging and detail imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back