Headphones for a Mac
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

raisin36

New Head-Fier
I have a Macbook Pro and I listen to music a lot on it. I want an excellent pair of headphones that I can use with the Mac.
I started to look at AKG K702, but from all the reading I did I learned that you really just can not plug the headphone in your computer especially to get bass. What is a top-notch headphone that will work excellent with a Macbook Pro?

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 33
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What's your budget? What type of music do you listen to? Should they be portable? Have some isolation?

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 33
what kind of music do you listen to? i suggest the audio technica M50. its is a great al rounder headphones for beginning ppl just getting into audiophile type stuff. I would also invest in a DAC later down the line as on board sound can only go so far.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 33
the highest I would like to go is around in $400. I listen to a lot of different things hip-hop, alternative, singer/songwriter, rock. They do not have to be portable. I would like them to be full-size. Right now I have Koss PRO4AAT. They seem to be flat and really not that much bass.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 33
I'll throw a bunch at you. Try giving that search box up there a try on some of these.

Denon D2000
Audio-Technica A900
DT770/DT880 (32 ohm, since you don't have an amp)
Shure SRH840

I know these are well under your budget, but most of the more expensive ones do much better with an amp, and then there are headphones like the D5000 that IMO aren't worth the money over their cheaper siblings (D2000). If you wanted, you could get a DT770-250 and a small amp, like the Total Bithead DAC/Amp and use that. (A DAC/Amp would greatly improve your quality on any of these headphones, but isn't necessary on the others as much as the 770-250)

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 33
I highly recommend the Headroom Total Bithead, it has enough juice to power very demanding headphones, such as the K701. If you were looking at the K701 and K702 before, the Bithead and K701/2 combo is highly regarded. I think the combo sounds good, but the K701 just isn't my thing. But it is a very good combination for those who like the K701/2, and there are many who do love them. They still wouldn't be my choice for hip hop though. They are a bit bass-light for that. I would recommend the HD600 and total bithead, but that would put you a bit over budget, most likely, unless you could find them used on the FS forum here, on audiogon, or on ebay. I think my choice would be the Beyerdynamic DT770-250 and the Total Bithead, for what you mentioned.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 33
Would you recommend open or closed headphones for me?
The  Sennheiser HD 600 would be more expensive then the Beyerdynamic DT770-250, but if going with the HD600 would sound better then  I may go with that.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 33
For hip hop, I think closed is better, especially if you are at all a basshead. For rock and alternative, I would recommend open headphones more often.  I actually think the 770s are great all around though, while the 600 shines in some areas (I think they especially shine in vocal-heavy music, such as singer-songwriter, folk music, some alternative) they do lack in some areas (I think the transient response in the lower registers could be much better). I don't see any real areas where the DT770 has any major drawbacks.

That being said, I actually think the same could be said for the Audio-Technica A900. That may not be as amp dependent, but the DAC in the bithead is a good upgrade in itself, and the A900 is well priced. Either one would be a good purchase. If you're a basshead, the Beyers would be my choice. If not, I would choose the A900s.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
Would you recommend open or closed headphones for me?
The  Sennheiser HD 600 would be more expensive then the Beyerdynamic DT770-250, but if going with the HD600 would sound better then  I may go with that.

I think one thing you really need to consider is where you are going to be listening to your music. If at home, is it noisy at your house and do you need to worry about disturbing other people? Open headphones tend to leak a lot of noise both in and out. My home is very noisy and I try to buy closed headphones, although I prefer the sound of open headphones, which I own as well just in case the house is empty. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 33
wow I do not know what to get .
I am going to get HeadRoom Total BitHead  because it will help out with really any headphone.
Are A900 older because they to not seem to be on audio-technica.com

Also what do think of iBasso like T3D or T4.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back