Headphones and bass
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pleb Bass

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone

I have a pair of Skullcrushers (skullcandy of course) and I know that's really a pleb. move, I have no style, there are much better headphones for my money, I have terrible taste, I should get better headphones. 

Ok, that's over with.  So I have become accustomed to the sensation of the vibration that skullcandy markets as "subwoofers in cans" and actually enjoy the feeling, but I want to be a bit more refined/grow up/stop being so pleb.

Now my question- what (non desktop, over-ear) headphones should I get if I want to actually have good sound quality, but not sacrifice so much of the sort of visceral feeling of bass that the vibration produces?

I have read up and come up with stuff like XB700, V-moda M80, Audio Technica ATH500, some gaming headphones not even worth mentioning, and many more, but I'm not sure as to which I should actually buy.

If anyone has some advice or words of wisdom they will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

Look into:

Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone PRO 900
Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer Custom One Pro
M-Audio Q40
AudioTechnica A900X
AudioTechnica PRO700MK2

And instead of looking for a headphone to have ridiculous levels of bass naturally, start with a warm headphone, and simply learn to equalize them properly to enhance bass without distortion, and you'll have a leg up on getting what you want without going through 100+ headphones looking for it.

Very best,

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks a bunch for the response!

I was looking at some of the ones you listed and I saw that the DT770 PRO needs an amp.

I am fairly new at the audiophile/headphone consumer scene, but doesn't needing an amp to sound decent usually entail that it isn't portable?  I kind of want them to be portable so I'm not tied down to my desk.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the response!

I was looking at some of the ones you listed and I saw that the DT770 PRO needs an amp.

I am fairly new at the audiophile/headphone consumer scene, but doesn't needing an amp to sound decent usually entail that it isn't portable?  I kind of want them to be portable so I'm not tied down to my desk.

An amp is not needed. It benefits an amp.

However, it's minimal. You could get away with a Fiio E6 ($20).

Very best,

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Psh, i own a big boi dt 880 pro 250 ohm. One can with sone seriously neatrual,flat line bass... N i love it... But i still love my xb 700 for dub step! But the dt 770 pro 80 ohm is a can i plan on trying myself. Also the, m audio q 40 has great recommendation. My point though... If u want a Bass cannon.... GET ONE

But mal has a good point. Try one of his cans (unless u wanna join me in the xb fart cannon club) i also hear the Ultrasone hifi2400 is nice... If s logic.works with ur ear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back