Headphones + amp/dac for a basshead
Aug 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pauly94

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm planning to spend some money on a decent pair of headphones and amp/dac. I'm a complete newb when it comes to audio. I've looked around on the internet but have not found a clear answer. I'm currently looking at the asus xonar essence one + hd 650s. How will electronic bass music sound on that? I will also play videogames with them. My budget is around the same price as the setup I suggested, I don't really want to spend more than that.

Thanks!

I have also looked at the ultrasone pro 900 but everyone is talking about the kees mod but i don't feel like taking apart something I know nothing about because I'm scared I might break it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hey,

I'm planning to spend some money on a decent pair of headphones and amp/dac. I'm a complete newb when it comes to audio. I've looked around on the internet but have not found a clear answer. I'm currently looking at the Asus Xonar Essence One + HD 650s. How will electronic bass music sound on that? I will also play video games with them. My budget is around the same price as the setup I suggested, I don't really want to spend more than that.

Thanks!

I have also looked at the ultrasone pro 900 but everyone is talking about the kees mod but i don't feel like taking apart something I know nothing about because I'm scared I might break it.

Videogames, PC? xBox? PS3?

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 9
hd650 is not basshead's headphone.. though they do have some nice quality lows, but not bassheavy at all. for gaming though, it has a nice imaging and soundstage, but might need a little more juice to drive it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 9
If you are basshead stay away from HD650. You can try Pro900 but they have very unusual highs signature which some people like while others hate, also consider D600

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 9
If you want an open headphone for a basshead, I think you should think about the Beyerdynamic DT990. 
If you want to go closed, the PRO900 is not a bad choice but as mentioned already, it has very harsh highs that some people find excessive (myself included).
II hear that the Focal Spirit One has very good bass, so this can be an alternative when it comes to closed headphones.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
If you want an open headphone for a basshead, I think you should think about the Beyerdynamic DT990. 

Confirmed they have amazing bass for an open. But you have to realise that open-headphone bass is different (or at least for the beyers) it's more of a natural and strong low-end bass, but not overly direct or in-your-face. Punchiness is nice, but i've been too spoiled by D2000's to accept it forever. I sold the d2k's a long while back, and am returning the DT990's (600ohm) for some D5K's. Bass nirvana there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back