Headphones 300$
Sep 18, 2011 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chris9

New Head-Fier
Hello headfiers, I'm new here and this is my firts thread as you can see. At the moment i got a pair of Sennheiser HD 515 hooked up to a regular amp (not a headphone amp) However it's a pioneer vsx 415. After i wanted to get some new audio stuff i discovered this site and now it's my turn to upgrade my audio. I got around 300$ to spend on headphones etc. atm. Would it be smartest to buy a more exspensive headphone and no headphone amp or? Hope you can help me! :) I listen to some pretty chill music like John mayer and so on and some more techno/pop. I was in an electronic store yesterday and listen to some pair of bose headphone, they sounded pretty good, not worth the money thou. 
dt880smile.png

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 13
If your budget is $300, get a pair of easily driven (as in, they do not benefit much from a headphone amp) headphones for that price. Buying a $150 headphone amp for $150 headphones will, in theory, give you $150 worth of "sound quality" for $300 worth of outlay.

A $150 headphone amp will not make $150 headphones sound like $300 headphones (assuming the more expensive headphones are actually direct improvement).

Do some more research and try to figure out what kind of "sound signature" you like. You'll get better recommendations that way :).

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a pair of  AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50  for 170$ is that more bang for the buck then for example HD 598 or HD 600?

Heya,

No.

Contrary to the popularity of the M50, I consider it to be quite over priced for it's actual abilities as a headphone.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 13
I managed to get my Denon ah D2000 for 230$ and they sound great straight out of my ipod touch 4th gen. Worth looking into.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
If your going down to about 200$ which headphones should i look for then?
tongue.gif

Heya,

Where are you buying from or able to buy from? $170 for a M50 is a really bad price. But maybe it's good for where you live or not online, etc. That will dictate what you can get for $200. We can recommend inexpensive headphones all day, but if you can't get them due to location, it becomes pointless.

If you're willing to pay $170 for M50, I'll just say get these Panasonics instead and buy a bunch of CD's to listen to with your saved money. I have both headphones, and I honestly would recommend them over the M50 to anyone for straight up music listening pleasure.

Also, are these for listening at home? On the go? Willing to have open air? Need closed? Give us some criteria.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 13

Hello.   when i said M50 cost 170$ i checked ebay. I live in sweden and audio is pretty exspensive here so I'm thinking about buy from a good seller on ebay or maybe http://www.thomann.de.
The headphones is just going to be used at my computer. So i dont need closed at all:)
Quote:
Heya,

Where are you buying from or able to buy from? $170 for a M50 is a really bad price. But maybe it's good for where you live or not online, etc. That will dictate what you can get for $200. We can recommend inexpensive headphones all day, but if you can't get them due to location, it becomes pointless.

If you're willing to pay $170 for M50, I'll just say get these Panasonics instead and buy a bunch of CD's to listen to with your saved money. I have both headphones, and I honestly would recommend them over the M50 to anyone for straight up music listening pleasure.

Also, are these for listening at home? On the go? Willing to have open air? Need closed? Give us some criteria.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Hello.   when i said M50 cost 170$ i checked ebay. I live in sweden and audio is pretty exspensive here so I'm thinking about buy from a good seller on ebay or maybe http://www.thomann.de.
The headphones is just going to be used at my computer. So i dont need closed at all:)

Heya,

That's what I was afraid of, Sweden, meaning most inexpensive things we recommend are expensive, and most $200 things are $300~400 for you. Puts a bit limit on things. Although, international USPS is only about $40 to ship to Sweden in a flat rate box. Check out the for sale forums maybe too.

These ship from Russia, see if they will ship to you. If so, these are excellent for you.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 13

Thanks alot i'll be checking that out, but wouldn't i need an headphone amp because of the 160 Ohm. Sory for bothering so much :p
Quote:

Heya,

That's what I was afraid of, Sweden, meaning most inexpensive things we recommend are expensive, and most $200 things are $300~400 for you. Puts a bit limit on things. Although, international USPS is only about $40 to ship to Sweden in a flat rate box. Check out the for sale forums maybe too.

These ship from Russia, see if they will ship to you. If so, these are excellent for you.

Very best,

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Thanks alot i'll be checking that out, but wouldn't i need an headphone amp because of the 160 Ohm. Sory for bothering so much :p

Nearly any receiver will power them. Even a 10+ year old sound card will do it. Impedance is a very small picture of how to drive a headphone. The only thing the 160ohm here says is "Don't plug into a phone and expect magical volume levels." Otherwise, you're good.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back