Headphone suggestion-Prefferably Bose vs Shure
Jun 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

therock003

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm new and i would like to get your opinions on some quality headphones.First of all i don't like the over the top(head) style headphones,so i guess that's out of the picture.I'm more into ear canal headphones,and so far I've only considered the bose tri-port earphones and the considerably more expensive shure se530.

The first choice is a bearable one with considerable cost,but what's the quality like?While the second ones i hear, are top off the line with great sound and everything.

What do you say?Should i favor one of the ones i mentioned,or should i get something else?Anything in mind?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 22
You aren't likely to find too many endorsements for Bose anything around here. That being said, I'll let someone else tell you about IEMs, as I'm not a huge fan.

Other than that, welcome to head-fi sorry about your wallet.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 22
Why is bose not welcome in here?What about sennheiser or koss?Are they not favorites as well?

BTW isn't IEM same as ehc (ear canal headphones) or am i mistaken?

Will someone please be kind enough to offer me some help,cause i need to order as quickly as possible so i can receive them before i leave for summer vacation,I'm kind of in a haste on this matter.

Thank you.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 22
buy both and then compare them......then you can/will return BOSE as per their 30 day warranty
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 22
I'll make it easy. Between the SE530 and anything from Bose, the SE530 will win hands down, no questions asked. If you're willing to pay for it new (I sure wouldn't be), you'll be happier with that one.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 22
C'mon guys i didn't really compare the two.

Quote:

....so far I've only considered the bose tri-port earphones and the considerably more expensive shure se530.

The first choice is a bearable one with considerable cost,but what's the quality like?....

I was going for bose on ebay and then the shure came up supposedly being the best of the best,and i asked my self,shall i go for the cheap and settle there,or is it worth spending some crazy amount and getting the best.

Will it last or will I at some point later needing some the new latest and greatest thing?Cause i sont mind spending sometimes lots of mine on something but i'' have to be certain that the price will sink in and my purchase will last in the long run and survive the test of time.

What are your thoughts?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 22
for the price of the bose you could get the ue super.fi 5 pro, or the klipsch custom 1, and many more. really, bose may be cheaper than the shure, but that's because they are not in the same range. thats like saying look the grado sr60 are cheaper than the denon 5000, so i should get those. yea, but in the same range. ( and bose do not compare the the sr60s. the sr60s are actually good.)

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Never settle for cheap, lol...and never settle for Bose.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 22
Around the same time last year I saw the Bose... went into some reviews reading and discovered that the Bose is not a choice to consider. You might call it a "show off" product because it's based on fame, not sound.

I went all out on the SE530 even with my student wallet thinking the same as you (it will last in the long run). I had them for a year and am still satisfied. Always rediscovering my 6000 or so tracks every time i listen to each of em. I am now starting to look some full size cans (still with my student wallet).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane
[...]Other than that, welcome to head-fi sorry about your wallet.

enough said.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr.Burns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro, it's better than SE530.

rolleyes.gif

I swear to God, I'm beginning to believe that the TF10 has a secret embedded chip that adds a subliminal message to any music played on them... 'crap on SE530 threads... crap on SE530 threads...'
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 22
Do you guys mean these bad boyz?

Quote:

Also what about these?

Quote:

Which are the ones that take mold of your ears and sculpt them accordingly?

Ok so you got my attention I'm going big,you've now got to convince me, how big am I to go,and with what choice.But the link with the thousand bucks headphones is just not happening so i guess it shall just remain a link,and nothing more...

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 22
Two more questions:

-What's the difference between shure se530 and 530pth?Is it of any importance, that i get the 530pth?

-What features do i have to search for in purchasing headphones?How is isolation described,and what's the impedence specification?

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Ok I'm going to try and shed some light on this for you real quick seeing as previous posts have failed to expand much. First, isolation is measured in decibels, like may things sound. The best isolation is probably the Etymotic ER-4P or 4S with I think 38 DB, but that's more than sufficient. I think UEs have about 26 DB of isolation and for me walking around on the street in pittsburgh, it's fine. Any IEM is probably going to isolate enough for you, and also remember isolation is not so much a product of the IEM but of the tip on it, so if you have different or replaceable tips you can keep out more sound. Double flanges keep out more than single, foams can keep out more than that even etc etc it just depends.

Now it would seem you have a pretty healthy budget so here's some names to look at.

100-200 -- Super.fi 5, Etymotic ER-4P, Shure E4c, Se310, Q-jays
200-300 -- shure se420, westone UM2, Freq, SLeek audio SA6,
300+ triple.fi , shure se530, customs from UE or other companies, may take more time though to get molds etc and fit is not guaranteed.

That isn't the best run down but it should be ok. For products check amazon.com, earphonesolutions.com, soundearphones.com, and headphone.com. There may

Impedance is basically how much power you need to give it for it to sing. I would say look for impedance no higher than ~35 if you are using an ipod or other portable player. Other things matter too so just check the forum before you buy.

the shures are really nice. I have a cheap pair of ultimate ears but they sound pretty good, I'm sure the triple fis are pretty mind blowing. Bose noise cancelling are ok but soo expensive for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back