Headphone similar to HD598 but with more bass?
Oct 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 20
I use mine with an old Panasonic Portable CD player with the bass boost on - far better SQ than my iPod and gives a nice bass boost that does not affect the mids/vocals etc, or with my home receiver.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 20
i would advice you to use an equalizer, these headphone's drivers are capable of delivering a good amount of bass without distorting
boost ~60hz and below

other headphone would be the DT990, but then the vocals may not be foward as these

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
i would advice you to use an equalizer, these headphone's drivers are capable of delivering a good amount of bass without distorting
boost ~60hz and below

other headphone would be the DT990, but then the vocals may not be foward as these

Is there maybe a program I can download in my computer which has a big EQ option? I would prefer one in which I can manipulate a lot of things like bass, mids, treble, etc.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Definitely capable of good bass the 598. One day not long ago I put a small piece of electrical tape on each grill just big enough to cover the Senn logo and man does it tighten the sound up just a bit to go wow, including bass. Easiest most reversable mod and I love it.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Is there maybe a program I can download in my computer which has a big EQ option? I would prefer one in which I can manipulate a lot of things like bass, mids, treble, etc.

winamp + equalizer plugin by nevi 
it can do this

50 band goodness, +20db until -60db

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Definitely capable of good bass the 598. One day not long ago I put a small piece of electrical tape on each grill just big enough to cover the Senn logo and man does it tighten the sound up just a bit to go wow, including bass. Easiest most reversable mod and I love it.

i did try using duct tape to tape up the rear section of the earcups (inside the earcup, at the edge closer to the back of your head) i used a 1cm x 2cm piece, it increased the bass by a good amount, however it reduced clarity and soundstage, so i decided to use the eq and ditch the tape (note im using the similar HD558, but not the HD598)

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 20
Uh Darth Beyers much? Well, if Larry still made deep opens that is....

Sounds like you want a fun can. I have the 558s without the foam in the cups they are quite capable of decent bass but I think your real issue might be the neutrality of the headphone. So look to Beyer, Sony, Ultrasone, Hi-Fi Man for that and stay away from Sennheiser imo.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 20
I had an idea and I think that it works. 

Since sound with stereo speakers changes when you increase the distance bw the two, I thought it might be interesting to mod the earpads a bit. So I took the earpads off and rolled a bit of weatherstripping just under the rim of the pads. This goes under the pad itself and effectively pushed/plumped them up about twice the size of the original. Result? It sounds bigger. I was playing Borderlands 2 in the Caustic Caverns area which is a big set of caves with huge heavy footed monsters. Big time bass festival. Anyway the 558s were certainly punchier than before. Gunshots had more kick and they really rumbled more. Seems a bit like the effect the Jmoney pads had on the denons. Plus, what material you put behind the driver seems to really effect the sound signature. I am thinking of making a doughnut ring out of the weather stripping and see what that sounds like. Kind of like the FOStex mods, I think the 558/598 can really change sound signature quite a bit with similar mod techniques.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 20
I have the HE-400s and I can say I feel like they are the HD598s but pumped up by 10 levels of awesome epic SQ. That being said they are heavy and need velour pads... and they are 399:wink:

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 20
hifiman he-500
The most realistic sound I've ever heard. Very smooth and the weights on the frequency is just right !!! Unlike the thick dark muddy 650 or overly airy and thin sounding K701. This one is just right, and with great great bass quality.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Is there a headphone that has the fantastic sound stage and forward mids of the HD598 but with more bass? The lack of bass will be a big problem for me...

What source(s) (like DAC & amp) are you plugging the headphones into?
Have you tried using Foobar2000 for music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back