Headphone Sightings 2
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #9,751 of 12,415
  Actually saw a guy with a pair of M100s on the bus to campus in Milwaukee last week. There is also another guy who brings his schiit modi and magni to the campus library. :D

I am getting jealous after all reading this thread! Went out almost everyday but nothing much is showing up lately :frowning2: probably audiophiles here in my country are all on leave 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #9,752 of 12,415

I am getting jealous after all reading this thread! Went out almost everyday but nothing much is showing up lately :frowning2: probably audiophiles here in my country are all on leave 
rolleyes.gif

Oh this was a rarity. After 4 years at this university, I have probably only seen maybe 5 head-fi worthy sightings. You just have to swim through the sea of Beats to find them. :D

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #9,753 of 12,415

Oh this was a rarity. After 4 years at this university, I have probably only seen maybe 5 head-fi worthy sightings. You just have to swim through the sea of Beats to find them. :D

but...but.. there's 0 headphone on the street! But I can tell how many of them likes Beats 
ph34r.gif
 almost all of my classmates likes it but there are a few who do not! 

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #9,754 of 12,415

Quote:
Alas, I was not the daddy, but I am a father of a daughter on the Peninsula who will someday sport high-end cans in high school (rule: no crappy cans allowed in this family! And stay away from non-audiophile boys!). Unfortunately, she's only 22 months right now, so that day will be quite a while away, but I can't wait to pass on to her my L3000s (giving me an excuse to get the L10,000s that'll be out by then!).

My daughter is about 3 years younger than yours, lives on the Peninsula, and is the great granddaughter of the great Dr. Oskar Heil. She shall inherit all of his vintage audio equipment and the stories behind them. Like her great granpappy's ESS Mark 1 cans, in original box from 1976.

Your daughter is 3 years younger than 22 months? So she's not even conceived? 
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #9,757 of 12,415
He also invented the "air-motion transformer" audio speaker technology [6] made famous by the amt1 speaker of ESS in the early 1970s.[7]

The amt diaphragm is made of a mylar ribbon, bonded with conductive aluminum strips. It is equivalent in surface area to a conventional seven-inch cone type mid-range driver, but is accordion-folded down to a compact one and a half inch grouping for point-source dispersion. The low-mass diaphragm is suspended within a dipole magnetic field concentrating an intense field around said diaphragm. When signal current passes through the aluminum strips, the ensuing bellows-like motion of the folded pleats moves air five times faster than with a conventional cone driver. This rapid acceleration of air-motion is claimed to provide enhanced sound reproduction, including high dynamic range and over a broad frequency range.
*quoted from wiki
You, my friend, are the grandson of a great contributor to audio engineering

By this you mean that I am married to the grandaughter of a great contributor to audio engineering, and my current awesome audio setup. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #9,759 of 12,415
  Actually saw a guy with a pair of M100s on the bus to campus in Milwaukee last week. There is also another guy who brings his schiit modi and magni to the campus library. :D

I'd think that Milwaukee's audiophiles would sport Koss more often than not; the only reason I ever bought an ESP950 was because I happened to be driving through Milwaukee one day when I still lived in Green Bay.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #9,764 of 12,415
  Plus, I'm new to this, so do I hit "Reply" or do I hit "Quote" and then "reply"? Man computers are hard (note: I'm an IT guy). 

"Quote" is reply with quote, no need to hit reply again. "Multi" is reply with multiple quotes. With Multi you need to hit reply after you're done selecting all the posts to quote. "Reply" is just reply with no quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back