Headphone Sightings 2
Mar 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6,437 of 12,415
Saw a "thug'd" out gangster wearing what i think were sr60s or sr80s....thought that was an interesting sight to behold =/

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #6,438 of 12,415
When I was studying abroad in Russia recently, I saw a -lot- of Sennheisers. The HD 558/600/650's were most common, from what I remember. Not a single Beats by Dre in sight. The Russians know where it's at.

While I was there, I also bought a pair of HD 205-II's for a classmate whose laptop had broken on him literally the day after we arrived there. I felt really bad so I took the little free time I had to pop into some electronic stores and do some headphone shopping for the poor guy. I found the 205 II's and gifted them to him the day of our last classes and he was ecstatic.

I know they're not the best, but they're certainly better than a lot of other choices. Long story short: I see him where those most everyday and it makes me pretty happy.

Around campus, I usually only see one other guy with some Sennheiser's (I believe they are 449's...never asked him). Otherwise it's all Beats and Skullcandy's. Gag me.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #6,441 of 12,415
If I ever saw someone wearing D7000's I'd say hi to them regardless of if I knew them or not 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,443 of 12,415
Do any of you actually approach people when you see them wearing high-end cans?

I do, but I'm in sales so I have the luxury of it not being an inherently awkward situation. I'm forced to talk to them anyway, so at least if I get to ask them about their headphones I get something out of it too.

It makes my day when someone comes in and mentions having a nice set of phones. In the past few months I have:

- Sold a guy a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter for his vintage AKGs, so we talked about them for a while and how he came to own them.

- Talked to a guy at length about his Grados and how to fix them. He looked seriously depressed that the TRS jack got ripped off of them, so I could tell he was really attached to them. (Although he did tell me had either the 125/225, and it ended up being the SR60, which was a little disappointing. Still better than the alternatives.)

I try to convince people (usually teens, early 20s) all the time to just TRY some different stuff. I don't like making people feel bad about their purchases, because I know I'm very sensitive to that myself, so I just try to politely tell them; "I'm glad you like your Beats. Anything that gets people listening to more music is good in my book. If you're in the market for something new or just want to see what else is out there, I feel like there are much better bang for your buck headphones out there. The Beats are just a little expensive for the sound quality that you get." If necessary I'll compliment the Beats on their style or some of their more useful features, but let the person know that for sheer sound quality, I can show them $75-100 headphones all day long that will dominate Beats.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #6,444 of 12,415
Do any of you actually approach people when you see them wearing high-end cans?
I do, but I'm in sales so I have the luxury of it not being an inherently awkward situation. I'm forced to talk to them anyway, so at least if I get to ask them about their headphones I get something out of it too.
It makes my day when someone comes in and mentions having a nice set of phones. In the past few months I have:
- Sold a guy a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter for his vintage AKGs, so we talked about them for a while and how he came to own them.
- Talked to a guy at length about his Grados and how to fix them. He looked seriously depressed that the TRS jack got ripped off of them, so I could tell he was really attached to them. (Although he did tell me had either the 125/225, and it ended up being the SR60, which was a little disappointing. Still better than the alternatives.)
I try to convince people (usually teens, early 20s) all the time to just TRY some different stuff. I don't like making people feel bad about their purchases, because I know I'm very sensitive to that myself, so I just try to politely tell them; "I'm glad you like your Beats. Anything that gets people listening to more music is good in my book. If you're in the market for something new or just want to see what else is out there, I feel like there are much better bang for your buck headphones out there. The Beats are just a little expensive for the sound quality that you get." If necessary I'll compliment the Beats on their style or some of their more useful features, but let the person know that for sheer sound quality, I can show them $75-100 headphones all day long that will dominate Beats.

I don't usually talk to them but I rarely see them in a situation to talk about them anyway.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #6,445 of 12,415

Quote:
When I was studying abroad in Russia recently, I saw a -lot- of Sennheisers. The HD 558/600/650's were most common, from what I remember. Not a single Beats by Dre in sight. The Russians know where it's at.

While I was there, I also bought a pair of HD 205-II's for a classmate whose laptop had broken on him literally the day after we arrived there. I felt really bad so I took the little free time I had to pop into some electronic stores and do some headphone shopping for the poor guy. I found the 205 II's and gifted them to him the day of our last classes and he was ecstatic.

I know they're not the best, but they're certainly better than a lot of other choices. Long story short: I see him where those most everyday and it makes me pretty happy.

Around campus, I usually only see one other guy with some Sennheiser's (I believe they are 449's...never asked him). Otherwise it's all Beats and Skullcandy's. Gag me.

wait... WHAT?

PORTABLE HD600/650 more popular than beats? Madness, I tell you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #6,446 of 12,415

Quote:
wait... WHAT?

PORTABLE HD600/650 more popular than beats? Madness, I tell you.

Those Russians man, I'm tellin' you.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that Moscow is technically in Asia, but looks/feels/acts like eastern Europe, so Sennheiser is an even more household name there than here.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #6,447 of 12,415

Quote:
Those Russians man, I'm tellin' you.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that Moscow is technically in Asia, but looks/feels/acts like eastern Europe, so Sennheiser is an even more household name there than here.

Technically Moscow is in Europe not Asia. Beats by Dre are more expensive in Russia than in the US. Which makes them even more overpriced.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #6,448 of 12,415
But fully open high.end Sennheisers in public are neither nice for the people commuting next to you, nor will they give you good SQ due to no isolation.
Plus, they are expensive. They have to. Even over here in Germany they are still anything but cheap. Our next door neighbors, AKG, sells cheaper over here in Germany...

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6,450 of 12,415
AKG K550 on some football player. Count me as surprised. Costs a good amount to get around here. Same bloke I saw with some HD25-it's probably. Real nice lookin' headphones in real life though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back