Headphone Sightings 2
Jun 28, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #4,651 of 12,415
Well, disappointing day for me.

Instead of the usual Audio Technica and/or Sennheiser sightings, I saw greeted by two Tours on the bus, a Solo HD on the streets (worn by a "businessman" with shades 0.0), a Solo HD Red in school and my newbie audiophile friend arrived in school with yet another Solo HD Red. (Thankfully, he bought a fake...)

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #4,652 of 12,415
Saw two pairs of Tours in one bus. I wonder how well their ears put up with the harsh as hell treble.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #4,657 of 12,415
Saw an HD25 on an ad at Walmart. Weird.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4,658 of 12,415
GENERIC METAL NERD TIME

I've grown out of the band for the most part, but Metallica's working on a new album with Lou Reed, with this picture on their site:

I was wondering if someone could tell me what headphones James is wearing?(he's the one on the left for those that don't know)

There's more pics of this up on their site. Rob(the guy in the front of the picture, James is on the left)'s wearing what looks to be different 'phones so can anyone ID those? They're in a much better shot.

Metallica_LouReed_hh6.jpg

Lars(the drummer) seems to be wearing the same 'phones as James.

Metallica_LouReed_wide4.jpg

If I had to say, James and Lars are probably wearing some good headphones for mids, with Rob wearing good bass 'phones.

Also, they aren't M50's but Metallica does typically use some Audio-Technica gear, mostly mics and stuff. Dunno if they use AT headphones or not(OR ELSE I WOULDN'T BE POSTING THIS RIGHT)

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4,659 of 12,415
Saw a pair of K81DJ's at work.  Also, met a worker at a Bose store that was a legit audiophile with Sennheiser HD 650s.  He saw me with my HD 595's and knew he couldn't sell me on sound quality so tried to sell me on noise cancellation.  Wasn't looking at buying noise cancelling headphones or anything, but the experience was rather mind blowing (meeting an audiophile at a Bose store that is.)

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4,660 of 12,415

Quote:
Saw a pair of K81DJ's at work.  Also, met a worker at a Bose store that was a legit audiophile with Sennheiser HD 650s.  He saw me with my HD 595's and knew he couldn't sell me on sound quality so tried to sell me on noise cancellation.  Wasn't looking at buying noise cancelling headphones or anything, but the experience was rather mind blowing (meeting an audiophile at a Bose store that is.)

We all have to work somewhere :|

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #4,661 of 12,415
Maybe this doesn't necessarily count as a sighting because I went to a headphone shop, but hear me out.
This weekend I spent about an hour and a half in of one of the big headphone emporiums that we have here in Seoul, South Korea. From 'beats' to MS-2s to AT-w5000x, to the HD-800 they've got it, and all available to audition with your own portable sources or cds too! Unfortunately, the beyerdynamic and denon lines they have in stock are extremely lacking, there's no wooden grados, and the nicest amp in the shop is probably the Creek OBH-21 SE (not to get down on it but it's far from summit). I've been back a few times just to get headtime with the HD-800, and I've made a few important future purchase decisions there, probably auditioned 20 pairs of phones in 6 or 7 trips.
Anyway, usually I've got my eyes closed, and I'm not really paying attention to the other customers (or their cowons) but when I went this weekend I was just sitting with the HD-800s and my audition cds (a chesky reference disc and a personal mix), and watching the register to see what went out the door. I was pretty curious what kind of stuff they were selling. In the hour and a half I was there I watched the same routine play out SIX DIFFERENT TIMES almost as if it were orchestrated.
1.) A group of teenage Korean boys would come in and have a short discussion with the shopkeeper.
2.) The shopkeeper would come back from the wall where all the sets hang (except the HD-800 which has a big metal display stand), with Shure SRH-840s, AT-M50s, Sony MDR-V6, Creative Aurvana Live!s, and Monster Beats Solos.
3.) The korean guys would all crowd around the one kid who had come to buy (usually they would bring an envelope full of cash, so I'm guessing it's gift money, which is a traditional thing here) and chat excitedly and take turns auditioning the pairs.
4.) Invariably however, they all ended up buying the beats solos.
Now my Korean comprehension isn't really adequate to understand the whole transaction (I only got here 6 months ago with no prior language training) but I can't imagine the guys are coming in and saying anything other than, "I want ones with loud bass that shut out all outside noise."
Now this was pretty disheartening to watch, especially since it seemed like the shopkeepers were presenting them with some really great sounding alternatives especially considering the price, but the most depressing part was probably the 349,000won (about $350) price tag. These kids were getting them at MSRP! Aside from those six transactions, there was a girl who came in for some junky earbuds, and a girl who came in for those colorful "mix style" headphones with the 5 point stars on the cups (yuck).

TL;DR Whippersnappers in Seoul South Korea flock to buy beats solos at exorbitant rates.

P.S. I almost forgot, on the subway after the headphone shop I thought I saw a girl with denon ah-d1001s, but when I got closer it turned out they were ah-p372s...so close yet so far. I noticed another pair of those denons in white at the next station.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #4,663 of 12,415

Quote:
I saw a guy take off his Beats Studio on the bus, and there was an audible SNAP

Oh god, I had to hide myself laughing. When I looked back up, the look on that guy's face... XD priceless.

I feel so sadistic.

I actually lol(ed) at your post....
I can't imagine how he would have felt
redface.gif
Then again I wouldn't have to because I didn't buy beats
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #4,664 of 12,415
A kindred soul in Korea? We should meet; I've never come across the store you mentioned.
I'm not surprised headphone prices are so steep in Korea. Hi-fi audio is hardly Korea's forte and has a relatively small audience (these aren't the only reasons); hell, I saw the B&W fetch 540,000 won/500 USD (preposterously higher than the MSRP in the US).
Although you may be surprised, only young teens seem to find Beats endearing; the internet is brimming with ridicule for the Beats line (if I had to translate the general consensus: Beats are fashion accessories that just happen to have headphone functionality). 

Quote:
Maybe this doesn't necessarily count as a sighting because I went to a headphone shop, but hear me out.
This weekend I spent about an hour and a half in of one of the big headphone emporiums that we have here in Seoul, South Korea. From 'beats' to MS-2s to AT-w5000x, to the HD-800 they've got it, and all available to audition with your own portable sources or cds too! Unfortunately, the beyerdynamic and denon lines they have in stock are extremely lacking, there's no wooden grados, and the nicest amp in the shop is probably the Creek OBH-21 SE (not to get down on it but it's far from summit). I've been back a few times just to get headtime with the HD-800, and I've made a few important future purchase decisions there, probably auditioned 20 pairs of phones in 6 or 7 trips.
Anyway, usually I've got my eyes closed, and I'm not really paying attention to the other customers (or their cowons) but when I went this weekend I was just sitting with the HD-800s and my audition cds (a chesky reference disc and a personal mix), and watching the register to see what went out the door. I was pretty curious what kind of stuff they were selling. In the hour and a half I was there I watched the same routine play out SIX DIFFERENT TIMES almost as if it were orchestrated.
1.) A group of teenage Korean boys would come in and have a short discussion with the shopkeeper.
2.) The shopkeeper would come back from the wall where all the sets hang (except the HD-800 which has a big metal display stand), with Shure SRH-840s, AT-M50s, Sony MDR-V6, Creative Aurvana Live!s, and Monster Beats Solos.
3.) The korean guys would all crowd around the one kid who had come to buy (usually they would bring an envelope full of cash, so I'm guessing it's gift money, which is a traditional thing here) and chat excitedly and take turns auditioning the pairs.
4.) Invariably however, they all ended up buying the beats solos.
Now my Korean comprehension isn't really adequate to understand the whole transaction (I only got here 6 months ago with no prior language training) but I can't imagine the guys are coming in and saying anything other than, "I want ones with loud bass that shut out all outside noise."
Now this was pretty disheartening to watch, especially since it seemed like the shopkeepers were presenting them with some really great sounding alternatives especially considering the price, but the most depressing part was probably the 349,000won (about $350) price tag. These kids were getting them at MSRP! Aside from those six transactions, there was a girl who came in for some junky earbuds, and a girl who came in for those colorful "mix style" headphones with the 5 point stars on the cups (yuck).

TL;DR Whippersnappers in Seoul South Korea flock to buy beats solos at exorbitant rates.

P.S. I almost forgot, on the subway after the headphone shop I thought I saw a girl with denon ah-d1001s, but when I got closer it turned out they were ah-p372s...so close yet so far. I noticed another pair of those denons in white at the next station.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4,665 of 12,415

Quote:

Wait he had H650's with them? That's awesome. And yeah, we all need to get the money for our nice things somewhere. And Bose pays pretty decently right?

Quote:
I saw a guy take off his Beats Studio on the bus, and there was an audible SNAP

Oh god, I had to hide myself laughing. When I looked back up, the look on that guy's face... XD priceless.

I feel so sadistic.

Aw...that's miserable, but I'd laugh unjustifiably hard at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back