Headphone Sightings 2
Dec 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #10,411 of 12,415
Weird one sided coiled wire iem on the train, other than that, the usual wave of a jays

Update: a pair of momentums and a pair of se215SPE

Second update: when meeting a fellow headfier, he mentioned he saw a CIEM. Other than that, I've been seeing plenty se425s lately, looks like after the a jays wave and the se215 wave, se425s might just be the next big wave of iem sightings

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #10,412 of 12,415
Nothing really interesting, but noticed my friend uses Sennheiser HD-25-1 II. He uses them both as home and portable cans. Yesterday we talked abit about headphones and it got him intrigued in investing in a dac/amp and another pair of cans 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #10,414 of 12,415
All I see at my college* are ATH-M50s and one guy with a Shure SRH440/840. I sold someone my Klipsch Image One for $30 and by how he acted after I let him test listen to it, I'm pretty sure he thought he was ripping me off.

*minus the waves of Beats

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #10,415 of 12,415
I don't know why, but RPI has recently been on a major Grado kick, starting about four weeks before first semester ended. I've seen a ton of Grados on campus, as well as ATH M50, some Beats, cheaper Sony cans, the X-Factor Sony, some V-Moda and a few others. I'm looking forward to seeing what people are gonna use next semester.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #10,416 of 12,415
I think it's similar to how at work you don't wanna have super expensive headphones sitting on your desk waiting to get sat on or stolen. At uni I'd rather have walked around with my old HD280Pros which are replaceable, and relative inexpensive while still giving good isolation for studying and still sounding a lot better than most really cheap headphones. Even if you've got really nice headphones at home you might not want to walk around wearing them.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #10,417 of 12,415
I think it's similar to how at work you don't wanna have super expensive headphones sitting on your desk waiting to get sat on or stolen. At uni I'd rather have walked around with my old HD280Pros which are replaceable, and relative inexpensive while still giving good isolation for studying and still sounding a lot better than most really cheap headphones. Even if you've got really nice headphones at home you might not want to walk around wearing them.
You could always buy a lower-end IEM and keep 'em in its case in your pocket.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #10,418 of 12,415
You could always buy a lower-end IEM and keep 'em in its case in your pocket.

There certainly are some good ones out there nowadays in the <$50 range. I'm quite impressed with the Sennheiser CX275 and IE4s I bought recently for very little. The power handling of the IE4s is especially impressive, but the clean sound of the CX275s for lower listening volumes is just as impressive. Either are a match for moderate listening levels compared to most cheap over the ear 'phones.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10,419 of 12,415
There certainly are some good ones out there nowadays in the <$50 range. I'm quite impressed with the Sennheiser CX275 and IE4s I bought recently for very little. The power handling of the IE4s is especially impressive, but the clean sound of the CX275s for lower listening volumes is just as impressive. Either are a match for moderate listening levels compared to most cheap over the ear 'phones.
Some Shure SE215s are $100 off of Amazon. Sure, (get it?) it's a bit higher, but worth it.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #10,422 of 12,415
Is your son an audiophile?

More of a basshead really. He appreciates good cans etc, but I knew the ie4s had good power and decent bass, so that was my primary concern. I was more impressed than I expected to be. For me though, I prefer the cleaner, if lower power handling, of the cx275s I picked up, plus they have a mic so I can use them for conference calls as well. But I can tell the bass doesn't go very low on the cx275s compared to the ie4s.

Of course he knows enough to hate Beats, so I guess I did something right...

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #10,423 of 12,415
More of a basshead really. He appreciates good cans etc, but I knew the ie4s had good power and decent bass, so that was my primary concern. I was more impressed than I expected to be. For me though, I prefer the cleaner, if lower power handling, of the cx275s I picked up, plus they have a mic so I can use them for conference calls as well. But I can tell the bass doesn't go very low on the cx275s compared to the ie4s.

Of course he knows enough to hate Beats, so I guess I did something right...
I can't call myself a basshead, but I need my bass/sub-bass. I prefer a signature of mostly bass/sub-bass, then a forward mid, then slowly lowering into the treble, so basically it's a steady decline in the upper mids. Still like treble, but nothing too bright.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #10,424 of 12,415
I can't call myself a basshead, but I need my bass/sub-bass. I prefer a signature of mostly bass/sub-bass, then a forward mid, then slowly lowering into the treble, so basically it's a steady decline in the upper mids. Still like treble, but nothing too bright.

That's actually pretty close to what I like. I find I have to EQ my DT 770s up a bit over 1k though, they just lack a bit too much up in that range.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #10,425 of 12,415
Dr. Who "Hide": AKG @ 00:50
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13ftoy_s7e09-hide_shortfilms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back