Headphone Sightings 2
Nov 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #7,726 of 12,415
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #7,727 of 12,415
The amount of condescension in this thread disturbs me.

I believe we almost never and rarely see high end/good sounding/expensive headphones on the street because they are mainly produced for a niche market, like ourselves. The others however, like the iFrog, Beats, Monster, Sony (the ones sold in retail stores), SkullCandy, etc. are produced for the mass market consumers. These consumers have their own sets of interests, some wear cheap fake beats but spend thousands of dollars in graphics card and computer hardware we barely know. Some wear SkullCandys but they spend hours on end deriving formulas for a phone app coding. These people could look at you and say, "Hah, those kids playing flash games on their 200$ laptops," or "Man that dude should really download (better app) instead of that one he's using for map. The coding is all jumbled".

And if people would look at me like that and have the same condescending tone, I'd be pissed and offended.

So I guess it's only fair if we look at the Beats owners and tell ourselves that they are not within our group of interest. Every hobby, interest, or passion has their own depth. We cannot expect everyone who has headphones to conform with our standards.

That being said, today I saw a pair of red Pioneer HDJ 500. Looking pretty sweet.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #7,728 of 12,415
Quote:
What about it's sound?
biggrin.gif

They sound pretty veiled to me...I have to do some EQ-ing with them. Right now they are on loan to my sister, who actually likes how they sound...

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #7,729 of 12,415
Quote:
So I guess it's only fair if we look at the Beats owners and tell ourselves that they are not within our group of interest. Every hobby, interest, or passion has their own depth. We cannot expect everyone who has headphones to conform with our standards.

Looking back at this thread, yes, there is a lot of nose-snubbing going on here. But it's not fair to say that all such comments are trying to be condescending. More like disappointed, since people aren't able to enjoy their music as fully due to some $2 buds. Are we trying to make ourselves feel better? Not really.

I used to be into high-end gaming pcs a few years ago. My two year old rig is still a beast. But when I see someone playing minecraft on a budget laptop with integrated graphics, I'm not going to laugh at the guy. His interest is obviously not about maxing out framerates on the highest settings. And that's okay, since the games he plays run just as well on his budget laptop as it would on my rig. In fact, if anyone were to laugh, it would be him, since I would be the dummy for spending $2k when a PS3 for $200 can play all the games just fine.

Sound quality, on the other hand, isn't something you can pick and choose. There isn't a certain genre that sounds equally as good on ibuds as it will on a T1. If you listen to any music at all, then it's fair to say you're missing out by convincing yourself that ibuds sound just as good as expensive headphones, or that it isn't worth investing some money for sound quality (what I believed 4 years ago).

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #7,732 of 12,415
my god... went to the mall today, There was an actual Sennheiser Headphone listening center there! at Macarthur Mall in VA.

They had the HD800, HD650, HD598, HD414, Amperior, Momentum, and some of their small street style cans.

oh you know you will not resist getting your ears inbetween them.

I never knew my audiophile dream would come true to getting my ears inbetween the HD800!
oh the sound signature!

i went there, the lady asked me what kind of headphones i was wearing. which was my Grado SR80i's
and then she let me into this sorta cupped mini-room enclosure with acoustic padding to help isolate the loud Mall Shopping center noise.
i see 2 headphones hanging on the wall, the HD650, and the HD800. 2 headphones i've always wanted to listen with! and there is an iPad with a decent selection of high quality music in the middle enclosed in a security case.

i am so happy, now i wish i had a pair of HD800's!

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #7,733 of 12,415
oh and also today after i visited the Sennheiser listening center kiosk at the Macarthur mall.

i saw a guy holding a suitcase and also a pair of Shure SRH240 headphones aswell, he walked quite fast so i didnt want to approach him with headphone talk.

i also got quite a stare-at with my Grado SR80i's

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #7,734 of 12,415
watching the Movie we rented, Bruno (haha i know...)

but at the end when the protagonist finally gets his wish to be with and sing with actual celebrities like Bono.

Snoop dog, Bono, and quite a few have AKG K121's, 2 had Sony MDR-7506's

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #7,735 of 12,415
I saw a female (she looked like a university student) with a pair of Grado RS1's at the library today...
basshead.gif
I wish I could go up and talk to her but I was just walking by and I was in a hurry so too bad... It would have been nice to get a listen to them! I also saw a guy with the Beats Excecutives... which was a disappointment.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7,736 of 12,415
Quote:
I saw a female (she looked like a university student) with a pair of Grado RS1's at the library today...
basshead.gif
I wish I could go up and talk to her but I was just walking by and I was in a hurry so too bad... It would have been nice to get a listen to them! I also saw a guy with the Beats Excecutives... which was a disappointment.

an excellent combination
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #7,737 of 12,415
Saw orange UrbanEars Plattan while walking around the supermarket today. It was a kid, no more than 12 years old. Good for him. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #7,739 of 12,415
Saw a dedicated audiophile store..

They have anything you can imagine.. HD800, Audeze LCD3, AKG K701, even STAX electrostatic stuff.. Complete with all the Cheap-Fi stuff that has been gathering fanbases here in the forums. Properly amped, on display, all ready to be auditioned. Had a lot of fun at the store. :L3000: I think the owners must have been Head-Fiers.. The store was brimming of people.. Never been happier in my life. :D

Good news, the stores here are noticing less people are buying Beats and SkullCandies..

What the hell? Was this in the Philippines? Maybe this can be one of the things i'll be looking forward to when I go visit in December, where was it?

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #7,740 of 12,415
went to local bestbuy. they had:

Aiaiai TMA-1, Sennheiser HD280, HD380pro, HD201-S, your usual over-cherished Beats lineup, Koss DJpro200, etc.

of course i tested all the ones up for demo, they didnt really match my taste but thats in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back