Headphone Setup for Gaming/Music for ~$500
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 20
Thanks for the suggestion! The other 2 have suggested the Fidelio X2, do you have any familiarity with these? If so, how do they compare?
I own them both. I can break down their differences for you.

Bass:-
  • X2 has more bass impact than K712 and the bass is boomier so it makes for a lot of fun and explosions sound awesome, however the bass drowns out footsteps and isn't the best for critical listening.
  • K712 has less bass but imo it's the perfect amount. The bass has better detail and texture and it isn't as muddy as the X2's bass. It doesn't drown out or leak into the other frequencies. This is not a headphone for bassheads though.
Mids:-
  • X2 has recessed mids because that's just the nature of a V-shape, vocals can be overpowered by the bass and the treble.
  • K712 has better/clearer vocals since it's more neutral. It hasn't got almost perfect vocals like the HD 600 but it's close enough.
Treble:-
  • X2 has emphasised treble and it brings out some nice detail but again not the best for clarity since the bass is emphasised too.
  • K712 has insane treble detail, it's crystal clear and has lots of clarity without being too bright or harsh.
Soundstage and Imaging:-
  • X2 has the bigger soundstage, this is again another reason why it's so fun. Imaging is great but not the best again because of emphasised bass.
  • K712 has a slightly narrow soundstage but it's still very wide, to call it narrow would be an insult. The soundstage is more controlled and sounds more realistic and accurate and doesn't sound artificial like older K7-- series headphones. Imaging on this is amazing, it's a very analytical headphone so it's great for critical listening. The clarity and detail of the treble combined with the wide soundstage, great imaging and analytical properties make it amazing for competitive gaming as well as immersive.

When I first got the X2 I was like, wow this is endgame and I'll never need anything more than this. Then I got the K712 and I was like pffft, THIS is endgame. There are headphones out there that are a marked improvement over the K712 but I don't need them.......yet.

Used to use my X2s for EVERYTHING on my desk and they were my daily driver and then K712 came and pushed the X2 aside and marked its territory and dominated. Still love my X2 but it now resides in a cupboard (cause it's slightly broken) and the K712 is my daily driver and goto.

And remember:-

No DAC/Amp = X2 is better
DAC/Amp = K712 for days

if you play PC only then I highly recommend the O2+ODAC and K712.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 20
if you play PC only then I highly recommend the O2+ODAC and K712.
Alright, thanks. Why do you recommend the JDS Labs O2+ODAC over the Schiit Stack? They are basically priced the same (if I go with the Modi Uber, which I want so that I can add Powered Speakers), so I just wanted to know which you find better so I make the best possible purchase. I saw the O2+ODAC previously, but disregarded it because I want to connect speakers, but after you recommended them, I went to the website again and found that you can customize them and add an RCA rear output for like $17, so that's good. Your help is really appreciated!

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 20
Alright, thanks. Why do you recommend the JDS Labs O2+ODAC over the Schiit Stack? They are basically priced the same (if I go with the Modi Uber, which I want so that I can add Powered Speakers), so I just wanted to know which you find better so I make the best possible purchase. I saw the O2+ODAC previously, but disregarded it because I want to connect speakers, but after you recommended them, I went to the website again and found that you can customize them and add an RCA rear output for like $17, so that's good. Your help is really appreciated!
I recommended the O2+ODAC because the amp is more than enough for a K712 and the DAC is extremely high quality and chances are it's all you'll ever need. You can add an RCA output to the O2+ODAC but I think that's only a line-out and not a pre-out so I don't know if that's a good match for powered speakers since it will just send a fixed voltage signal.

The Schiit Stack however does have a pre-amp RCA output so that will work with powered speakers no problem.

How much are you willing to spend on a dedicated DAC and Amp?

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 20
You can add an RCA output to the O2+ODAC but I think that's only a line-out and not a pre-out so I don't know if that's a good match for powered speakers since it will just send a fixed voltage signal.
Alright then, speakers are not my priority anyway, and I'm happy with how they sound, so forget that...

How much are you willing to spend on a dedicated DAC and Amp?
Well I am basically around the top of my budget... I was looking to spend about $500, and it's come up to ~$590-650 when you factor in all the shipping costs, depending on whether I get the Schiit Stack or the O2+ODAC. I'm going to take your word for it and go with the AKG K712 Pro, as I found it for €233 (~$270) and free shipping on Amazon.de, which is more practical for me, as I go to Germany quite often, so I can get it next month then... That leaves ideally $230 for an amp, however with all things considered, it will probably be about $100 over my budget with shipping. If possible, is there a good Amp+DAC combo for less than the O2+ODAC that will drive the K712s and sound good? If not, I guess the Objective2+ODAC is what I'm going with...

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 20
Well I am basically around the top of my budget... I was looking to spend about $500, and it's come up to ~$590-650 when you factor in all the shipping costs, depending on whether I get the Schiit Stack or the O2+ODAC. I'm going to take your word for it and go with the AKG K712 Pro, as I found it for €233 (~$270) and free shipping on Amazon.de, which is more practical for me, as I go to Germany quite often, so I can get it next month then... That leaves ideally $230 for an amp, however with all things considered, it will probably be about $100 over my budget with shipping. If possible, is there a good Amp+DAC combo for less than the O2+ODAC that will drive the K712s and sound good? If not, I guess the Objective2+ODAC is what I'm going with...
Probably the Schiit Fulla 2. It's a lot less than the O2+ODAC and it will drive the K712 easily. Very good sounding DAC and a solid Amp. Nice small form factor with USB and Analog inputs and it also has line-out and pre-outs for powered speakers.

I'd personally go for the O2+ODAC because it's just a benchmark in sound quality and I doubt you'll ever need more than it. However if you really don't want to pay the extra then go with the Fulla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back