Headphone Review: DT48 VS K501 .....
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ummmmmmm.. Not sure.. I'll just send you the 48a.. If you don't like it we can trade. Oh, I got it for 225.00. Which is fair.. Less then I paid for 2 of my regular 48.

Ok, that's cool too!

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #48 of 80
It's hidden in a safe because the only way Beyerdynamic can make more is by cloning the original from time to time. This also explains their relative rarity and obscurity, despite having been cloned since the 40s. And everyone knows a clone of a clone isn't as good.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hidden in a safe because the only way Beyerdynamic can make more is by cloning the original from time to time. This also explains their relative rarity and obscurity, despite having been cloned since the 40s. And everyone knows a clone of a clone isn't as good.

Very true. Is it normal to hide the first headphone that a company makes?

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #50 of 80
Quote:

In case anyone wondered. I read that a Beyer engineer said that the original DT48 is hidden in a safe.. (forgot the location)

In the Batcave!
biggrin.gif

geom_tol, if you are reading this per chance, do you still have your DT48s?

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #51 of 80
imo the k501 requires an amp. They sound very weak without one, almost lifeless. With my CTH tube amp, they had decent bass and sound stage was very 3 dimensional, never flat. They sounded more coherent then hd600, especially with GE 5814a triple mica tube: classical and jazz was great. The mids are amazing with these phones. I already miss them as these were my pair (reviewed) and bought another one yesterday.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo the k501 requires an amp. They sound very weak without one, almost lifeless. With my CTH tube amp, they had decent bass and sound stage was very 3 dimensional, never flat. They sounded more coherent then hd600, especially with GE 5814a triple mica tube: classical and jazz was great. The mids are amazing with these phones. I already miss them as these were my pair (reviewed) and bought another one yesterday.

definitely. just a word to readers to take the op's k501 impressions with a grain of salt. i haven't heard the dt48's and don't know how amp dependent they are, but the akg's are definitely very demanding amp-wise.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #54 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo the k501 requires an amp. They sound very weak without one, almost lifeless. With my CTH tube amp, they had decent bass and sound stage was very 3 dimensional, never flat. They sounded more coherent then hd600, especially with GE 5814a triple mica tube: classical and jazz was great. The mids are amazing with these phones..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely. just a word to readers to take the op's k501 impressions with a grain of salt. i haven't heard the dt48's and don't know how amp dependent they are, but the akg's are definitely very demanding amp-wise.

I would disagree , at most an amp is going to give you that last 10% with the k501. The bass is fine with my setup, maybe even too much if one was looking for total neutrality.

Anyway my review really didn't say anything bad about the K501, in fact I recommend it to anyone , it is just not as detailed, resolving or transparent as the DT48.
That is not a flaw in the k501 as much as it is a testament to how detailed and transparent the DT48 are, it was unfair to compare them really.

DT48 vs K1000 sounds like a more interesting review as far as I'm concerned.
smile.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #55 of 80
Although I general agree with your assessment of the K501, I have to disagree with the claim that it has too much bass if one's looking for neutrality.

The K501 is most certainly lean in terms of its bass output although its quality can still be improved somewhat.

Question: Is the DT48 open sounding?

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #56 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True to a point.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #57 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I general agree with your assessment of the K501, I have to disagree with the claim that it has too much bass if one's looking for neutrality.

The K501 is most certainly lean in terms of its bass output although its quality can still be improved somewhat.

Question: Is the DT48 open sounding?

Open sounding for a closed headphone?

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

If that Juli@ really has an output impedance of 100ohm, that will really warp the frequency response of the K501. (Which I think was designed for 0 ohm, certainly the K500 sound best that way.) However, a 100 ohm would be close to the 120 ohm output the DT-48 was designed for.

And I really have to disagree adanac061, a good amp is more than just the last 10%. And the AKG's really need a good amp to shine.

Very nice comparison nonetheless! However, I actually feel that almost no other headphone can be realistically compared to the DT-48, because so few other headphones were made to be this flat and neutral. The DT-48 really is an oddball that's in it's own special category.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Open sounding for a closed headphone?

Yea, how is it compared to the W5000(which sounds pretty dang open)?

I wanna get a feel of how the DT48 is like compared to headphones that I know well.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #60 of 80
Quote:

Yea, how is it compared to the W5000(which sounds pretty dang open)?

I wanna get a feel of how the DT48 is like compared to headphones that I know well.

Never heard the W5000. The 48a sounds very closed in and clausterphobic. In comparison, the 48e is like opening a window with the breeze hitting your face. The 48e sounds pretty open to me, but my closed headphone experience is limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back