Headphone Review: DT48 VS K501 .....
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

adanac061

1000+ Head-Fier
Disclaimer:
It should be noted that the following review was done using the Juli@ soundcard as the source un-amped.
The Juli@ uses JRC 4580 opamps and can drive the K501 to loud levels , but it is not an optimal setup.
The k501's are generally said to require an amp to shine their best.

--------
In the vast and daunting selection of headphones available in the world , the DT48 and K501 are relatively similar in overall tone and sound, we are not comparing apples to oranges here but granny smith to golden delicious .

I'm not a golden eared audiophile. I'm not the fancy wine drinking, Cuban cigar smoking guy who fluently knows all the fancy audiophile terms.

This a meat and potatoes kind of review. no extraneous storytelling here.
I am not going to attempt to extrapolate any theories for the reader, only provide a basic break down of what I hear different between the two headphones , and in my opinion what is good and bad about these headphones.

Part (A)

Comfort

K501 totally dominates, no contest.

I can't lie the Dt48, as it comes stock, has a vice grip. I managed to stretch mine a little and adjust some nuts and bolts , but it still comes nowhere near the comfort of the k501.

Tone Sweep

At reasonable listening levels.

The 501 bass: Totally drops off at 37hz .. starts to roll off at 70hz , but still quite audible at 50hz.

The DT48e bass: Totally drops off at 42hz, it is not as loud as the k501 at 50hz ... starts to roll off around 80hz.

K501 Highs... I can hear test tones up to 15,300 hz on this headphone.

Dt48 Highs: I can hear up to 16,000 hz on this headphone.

---

Music Test 1 - Roxanne by The Police.

DT48 E

Both stings voice and the guitar have quite distinct reverb, especially in the right earcup.

symbols / high hat is heard clearly, I have a sense of it's texture I can feel the metal being hit .

Their is no impact from the bass guitar. but the notes are heard in their entirety.

The Drums are very fast and snappy, they sound realistic.

K501:

The reverb is only slightly... barely heard.
I'd only know that it was there because i just heard it clearly on the Dt48.

Bass guitar has some impact, high hat has a splashy sound to it , doesn't sound like metal being hit.

I asked my friend who used to play drums to listen to this song on both headphones i asked him specifically to listen for the drums cymbals and hi hats...he remarked that the DT48 sounded more realistic and clearer by far. I would agree with that contention.

Music Test 2

At this point I break out the Chesky - The Ultimate Demonstration Disk.

This disc has been used in reviews many times on Head-Fi, it is a standard reference disc.

Track 3) Spanish Harlem.

The K501 plays this song beautifully, the sound is airy and the singer and instruments have their own space in the room with room to breathe.

The Dt48 on the other hand has a compressed sound stage, and sounds a little heavier with more weight to the singer and instruments.

The k501 picks up most of the reverb heard from the room as it should do, but the Dt48 picks up more and also picks up people moving around in the background , people shuffling ect..

The shaker can be heard clearly on both headphones , and the tone strength of each shake changes on both headphones.

The DT48 seems to give me a better sense of the environment.
The singer and instruments are palpable.

The k501 put the singer in a huge stadium like room, but the Dt48 put her in a 20 x 20 room.

I'm sure the real room was closer to the Dt48's presentation.

Overall the K501 gives a more FUN presentation , where the Dt48 gives a more REAL presentation.

Last test:

Track 9) Grandmas Hands...

This is Just a short song song by a man with some backup singers.
It is used to test mid-range purity.

I've listened to this song many times with the Dt48 before and know exactly how it sounds using that headphone.. so I jumped straight to the k501 first.

It kind shocked of me, not in a good way.

The singers voice sounded less real and detailed than the Dt48.
The K501 made him too airy and light , where as the Dt48 gave him the "chesty" sound that you are supposed to hear.

Also more disturbingly , whereas the Dt48 presents the fingers clicking with a fleshy quality and by that I mean you can hear the skin rubbing, and the impact of bone.

The k501 sounds totally fake , almost sounds like a percussion instrument not a finger clicking.

In conclusion I would say that to my ears on this day using my system , the DT48 has the K501 beat in every area except soundstage and comfort.
And even then the K501 soundstage isn't the best, it is flat and makes music sound larger than real life.

Having said that, the k501 has a certain charm.. it is the kind of headphone I would pick up for fun when I'm not doing critical listening and when listing to binaural recordings. It has light sound that doesn't offend and it is much more forgiving than the Dt48 E.

Thanks for reading.
(Sorry about any grammer / spelling mistakes.)

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome.. But runs from 501 supporters.

Do you mean that K501 would show even less benefits once tested by a "non-supporter"?

To OP: did you perceive midbass hump and smoothed out highs with K501 compared to DT48?

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean that K501 would show even less benefits once tested by a "non-supporter"?

To OP: did you perceive midbass hump and smoothed out highs with K501 compared to DT48?

YES.

edit*
The K501 has smoothed out highs compared to the DT48.
That is most definitely a fault with the K501.

Whether or not the k501 has a midbass hump, or the Dt48 is rolled off
is open for debate. The k501 is more tuneful in the midbass for sure,
I'l have to listen to some pop / rock / rap
eek.gif
later today and get back to you.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

So, would you recommend I grab a pair?

Of K501's ... sure,.. slightly different variety of the same fruit.

Although I should add, that I will probably be selling/trading off my k501's
very soon because I can't afford to keep both
frown.gif

I've decided to funnel all my pennies into the super Dt48 rig, and see just how good these babies can get.

but if you have the spare cash, I recommend fully.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of K501's ... sure,.. slightly different variety of the same fruit.

Although I should add, that I will probably be selling/trading off my k501's
very soon because I can't afford to keep both
frown.gif

I've decided to funnel all my pennies into the super Dt48 rig, and see just how good these babies can get.

but if you have the spare cash, I recommend fully.

So am I.. I really want to get mine recabled with ASP V3 & future tech connectors.. Balance my 48a.. I want even more detail. I just purchased the 48 silver.. So I will sell off 2-3 of my cans..

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 80
Great review! Honestly, I haven't noticed the K-501's rolled off highs in comparison to the DT48, but I'll listen for it. I haven't really done a direct comparison of the two - after getting the DT48, it has dominated the acoustic/vocal listening I do. I still get out the RS-1 for rock and mix things up with the HD-600 and HD-650. The K-1000 and HP-2 come out on special occasions.

Also, thanks for the recommendation of the Chesky disc. I'll be ordering one.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K501 has rolled off , and smoothed out highs compared to the DT48.
That is most definitely a fault with the K501.

Whether or not the k501 has a midbass hump, or the Dt48 is rolled off
is open for debate. The k501 is more tuneful in the midbass for sure,

I haven't ever heard DT48, just made a guess on two most obvious (to me) K501 faults
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

So, would you recommend I grab a pair?

If you're asking about K501 my answer is no. They're nice, but their sig makes me sad. I'll probably lock out my pair once I get a more neutral full-sized set.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 80
The comments on the K501 by the OP are spot on IMO.

There are obvious shortcomings in the K501 such as having large gaps in its 2Dish soundstage, dryness, lacking weight, a little thin on the mids...etc

However, given the price of the K501, I find it to be a very strong performer.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 80
Very good review, interesting read for sure, I'm quite curious about both phones you tested.
I wonder how the K240DF compares to the DT48 and K501, they seem to be very similar kinds of bests.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 80
I agree with everything you said about the K501 including the soundstage, everything sounds far away, so there is no 3D layering.

BUT

do you seriously think the K501 has rolled off highs? Do you mean because there is a valley in the Frequency response after the huge peak, when you would prefer the whole treble region to be a peak? Or do you just mean that in comparison to the DT48, it has rolled off highs. Either way, it's kind of a scary statement
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 80
There is some peak in the lower treble on the K501 that makes the treble seem gently rolled off at the top. I never bothered to see if it just seemed that way because of the peak or if it actually was rolled off when I still had mine. It is a good thing to know that the DT48 seems to have more apparent upper treble, though.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is some peak in the lower treble on the K501 that makes the treble seem gently rolled off at the top. I never bothered to see if it just seemed that way because of the peak or if it actually was rolled off when I still had mine. It is a good thing to know that the DT48 seems to have more apparent upper treble, though.

The lower treble emphasis of the K501 bothers me the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back