smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #78 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You lost me there.
biggrin.gif

Oh, all right.
smily_headphones1.gif
What I meant is, that they will never sound like a good open headphone. But considering all the padding in the cup that should absorb a lot of the sound and doesn't leave much room for a resonating chamber, you would expect them to be almost claustrophobic. And they certainly aren't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people use the 48 as studio monitors, but they are mainly reference monitors.. & if you think popularity equals better, hell, Bose & skullcandy must be the best headphones ever..
happy_face1.gif
No, I haven't done extensive research on comparing the two.. It would be useless.. The 48 is designed to be uncolored, flat, & dead neutral.. The 48 will always be more accurate in terms of instruments & vocals.. They were made for that purpose.. I could study both for hrs it wouldn't matter.. The 501 is made to sound more pleasing, forgiving, & fun.. & depending on the listener, that can be a flaw or a plus.

Totally agree, I have two K500's, which aren't that different from the K501 (just better
biggrin.gif
) and yes, they have subtle colouration that makes them a very different listening experience to the DT-48. It's definitely more pleasing and more forgiving. For a relaxing listen, between the two I would always choose the K500.

As to studio-use, they certainly use them in the radio studio according to the movies. Here's a still from the Richard Curtis movie "The Boat that Rocked" (it was interesting to come across this in the newspaper this morning):

the_boat_that_rocked_movie_image_philip_seymour_hoffman.jpg

That's actually a good idea, putting a wingnut on them...

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #79 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to studio-use, they certainly use them in the radio studio according to the movies. Here's a still from the Richard Curtis movie "The Boat that Rocked" (it was interesting to come across this in the newspaper this morning):

the_boat_that_rocked_movie_image_philip_seymour_hoffman.jpg

That's actually a good idea, putting a wingnut on them...

Nice find

--

Here is the DT48 S at abbey road studio 1967.
That's paul mccartney's Rickenbacker guitar in the pic.

AYNIL-studio-02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back