Headphone Review: DT48 VS K501 .....
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 48e sounds pretty open to me, but my closed headphone experience is limited.

I guess the "openness" of the DT-48E is simply average for a closed headphone. (Which is quite a lot actually, considering all the padding of the double pads inside the the cup.) What helps to increase soundstage, if your source is up to it, is that the precision of the DT-48 can resolve all sorts of subtle acoustical cues (especially in music recorded in larger venues) so that the original acoustic is very convincingly recreated.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #62 of 80
Yeah, sound stage can feel bigger or smaller depending on the venue which it was recorded, which is a bit trippy. But the 48a seems to be pre set to sound closed in.. At least thats how my ears interpret it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the "openness" of the DT-48E is simply average for a closed headphone. (Which is quite a lot actually, considering all the padding of the double pads inside the the cup.) What helps to increase soundstage, if your source is up to it, is that the precision of the DT-48 can resolve all sorts of subtle acoustical cues (especially in music recorded in larger venues) so that the original acoustic is very convincingly recreated.

You lost me there.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #64 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that Juli@ really has an output impedance of 100ohm, that will really warp the frequency response of the K501. (Which I think was designed for 0 ohm, certainly the K500 sound best that way.) However, a 100 ohm would be close to the 120 ohm output the DT-48 was designed for.

And I really have to disagree adanac061, a good amp is more than just the last 10%. And the AKG's really need a good amp to shine.

Totally true , I agree using The Juli@ is not an optimal situation at all.

But the argument that adding an amp to the k501 changes it's sound
completely, to the point where comparisons using an un-amped k501 are made redundant, ...is misleading.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You lost me there.
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

I didn't expect the W5000 to sound open. I originally planned that to be my next big purchase on the upgrade path after the K501 before I got so deeply involved in planars.

The "double padding" of the DT48E doesn't look like it covers the drivers in any way so I don't see how the pads could make more of a difference in the closed sound than the cup material/volume and how the drivers are mounted to the frame. Distance from the drivers to the ears from the pads actually helps soundstage and air.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

completely, to the point where comparisons using an un-amped k501 are made redundant, ...is misleading.

Adding an amp certainly doesn't change the sound completely, but all aspects improve considerably. From my experience, the K501's clarity and imaging takes a toll with my Onkyo receiver as opposed to my tube amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I didn't expect the W5000 to sound open.

It's more open than any truly open I owned.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #68 of 80
Quote:

tongue.gif

I didn't expect the W5000 to sound open. I originally planned that to be my next big purchase on the upgrade path after the K501 before I got so deeply involved in planars.

The "double padding" of the DT48E doesn't look like it covers the drivers in any way so I don't see how the pads could make more of a difference in the closed sound than the cup material/volume and how the drivers are mounted to the frame. Distance from the drivers to the ears from the pads actually helps soundstage and air.

Why?
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #69 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't go that far as I find the K501 and Lambda to be more open.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #70 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do believe a beefy amp will give the 501 more resolving power and better detail retrieval. Also do a better job and creating a 3d sound stage.. But the flaws won't be fixed. Drums won't automatically sound as realistic as the DT48 along with the other comparisons.. But it's really not fair. The 48 is a reference monitor headphone. Uncolored, flat, and dead neutral. The 501 has some sonic charm to the sound and some colorization, as they were made to sound more fun and pleasing then dead accurate and realistic. But it still makes me feel good that the DT48 'owned' the 501 in most categories, IYO.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #71 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do believe a beefy amp will give the 501 more resolving power and better detail retrieval. Also do a better job and creating a 3d sound stage.. But the flaws won't be fixed. Drums won't automatically sound as realistic as the DT48 along with the other comparisons.. But it's really not fair. The 48 is a reference monitor headphone. Uncolored, flat, and dead neutral. The 501 has some sonic charm to the sound and some colorization, as they were made to sound more fun and pleasing then dead accurate and realistic. But it still makes me feel good that the DT48 'owned' the 501 in most categories, IYO.

I completely agree, and I'm looking forward to hearing some in depth comparisons from people who have more ample equipment than myself ...
smily_headphones1.gif

DT48 VS K1000 ..cough.. uncle eric .. cough ..
wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?
tongue.gif

Hm, I wonder.
floatsmile.png
But wood is for sure much better at taming resonances than thin plastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I also kind of find that statement hard to believe.
tongue.gif
Sounds like it isn't bad at all, though, in terms of closed-in sound. I might still consider it if I ever need good sound from headphones that are at least somewhat isolating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
But the flaws won't be fixed. Drums won't automatically sound as realistic as the DT48 along with the other comparisons.. But it's really not fair. The 48 is a reference monitor headphone. Uncolored, flat, and dead neutral. The 501 has some sonic charm to the sound and some colorization, as they were made to sound more fun and pleasing then dead accurate and realistic.

Have you also compared the K501 and DT48 extensively? How do you know that they were 'made to sound more fun and pleasing'? They were AKG's reference flagship headphone for a long time. And how many people do you actually see using the DT48 as studio headphones? The a version's main purpose is for audiometry and the e version's main purpose is for broadcast and field applications, so also mainly just in the vocal frequency band, while on the go.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #73 of 80
Quote:

Hm, I wonder.
floatsmile.png
But wood is for sure much better at taming resonances than thin plastic.

tongue.gif
Sounds like it isn't bad at all, though, in terms of closed-in sound. I might still consider it if I ever need good sound from headphones that are at least somewhat isolating.

Have you also compared the K501 and DT48 extensively? How do you know that they were 'made to sound more fun and pleasing'? They were AKG's reference flagship headphone for a long time. And how many people do you actually see using the DT48 as studio headphones? The a version's main purpose is for audiometry and the e version's main purpose is for broadcast and field applications, so also mainly just in the vocal frequency band, while on the go.

A lot of people use the 48 as studio monitors, but they are mainly reference monitors.. & if you think popularity equals better, hell, Bose & skullcandy must be the best headphones ever..
happy_face1.gif
No, I haven't done extensive research on comparing the two.. It would be useless.. The 48 is designed to be uncolored, flat, & dead neutral.. The 48 will always be more accurate in terms of instruments & vocals.. They were made for that purpose.. I could study both for hrs it wouldn't matter.. The 501 is made to sound more pleasing, forgiving, & fun.. & depending on the listener, that can be a flaw or a plus.

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

tongue.gif

Sure, take it with the grain of salt as I haven't heard all open phones on the earth, but whatever is in my profile produces smaller or about the same soundstage, K702 might be the only exception in soundstage width, but W5000 beats it in height. And seriously, with all these ports on W5000 and leaking in and out they are not truly closed, more like semi-open.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #75 of 80
how is it compared to electretts cans?(stax lambda) since it has superb detail?

@kool bubba ice
you have two of the same model..
i would like to know if you're thinking to sell one of them?
i'm thinkin of goin vintage without bleeding too much on my wallet..(dont think it's possible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back