Headphone Recommendation Please!
Oct 12, 2011 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

omaplata

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here. I'm not really well versed in headphones, so I'm having trouble choosing a budget headphone setup for use at work. I was hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction.

The criteria I would like to meet are as follows:

1) 75 bucks or less (may stretch this a little is it's REALLY worth it)
2) There people that sit 7 feet away from me, and I don't want to disturb them at normal listening volumes
3) Primarily used for music, specifically blues, jazz, bluegrass, and some rock using programs like Pandora, Spotify, etc. Also may see some MP3's via ipod listening on occasion.
4) I bias slightly towards enhanced treble(versus enhanced bass) since my hearing is very slightly deficient in the treble region, although this isn't a large concern
5) May plug in to my keyboard infrequently to play when people are asleep

Having done some searching around here, it seems that the Samson SR850 and the Panasonic HTF600 are well regarded and in my price range. My fear is that they are "semi-open" and that they will be too loud for my neighbors(I don't have a clear concept of how audible different designs will be to the people around me). I also like the Grado SR60i, however it seems these are fully open and would really annoy my neighbors(although they sure look cool).

In any case, I'm curious if someone could give me a suggestion or two that might fit my criteria. I also would be curious to know how well my neighbors will really be able to hear my music using open, semi open, and closed designs.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Take a chance and live dangerously 

Let's get this right :-

You love blues, jazz, bluegrass, some rock, not only that you're a treblehead.

Get the SR60i and listen at low volumes. Everything else is just a sonic compromise.

I work with someone who listens to his 225i all day at low volumes, I never hear 'boo' from
the guy.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the response. My office is pretty quiet and the last thing i want to do is disturb someone. How audible will these be from 7 feet away if i keep the volume reasonable? Are there alternatives that are worth considering that may leak less noise? How. Ig of a sonic tradeoff would i be making going from an open to semi open or even closed? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the response. My office is pretty quiet and the last thing i want to do is disturb someone. How audible will these be from 7 feet away if i keep the volume reasonable? Are there alternatives that are worth considering that may leak less noise? How. Ig of a sonic tradeoff would i be making going from an open to semi open or even closed? Thanks!

In my opinion, for most genres (including yours) excluding electronic which benefits from a closed 'club-like'
sound ~ open is always superior to closed cans. The sound is more speaker like.

If you look at the top of the crop headphones ~ you'll notice this is pretty much the standard across
all manufacturers barring Audio Technica and Denon who persist with closed flagships.

The hard part is guessing 'how loud' you like to listen to your music..

Ok, just tested my SR80i's for you ~ played a track at the lowest volume and stood back five feet from
them.

I can't hear a thing.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Best closed headphone with a little treble bump would probably be the srh440. Not sure how good the comfort would be though, I think most people eventually end up getting some srh840 pads for it.

Vs the Grados, the Shures should give you better sound quality, but the Grados will be more fun sounding. Up to you!

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
The hard part is guessing 'how loud' you like to listen to your music..

Ok, just tested my SR80i's for you ~ played a track at the lowest volume and stood back five feet from
them.

I can't hear a thing.

Lowest volume on what? I not a loud music listener...I listen to the radio in the car at just loud enough that you'd want to turn it down if you were going to talk to someone without elevating your voice.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Please, do yourself a favor and don't get Grados if you don't want to disturb people. They sound great, are affordable, and are built like tanks, but they are as much a pair of speakers as they are headphones. 100% open and people around you will hear music at about 80% the volume you're hearing it.

My recommendation would be KRK KNS 6400 or Sennheiser HD280. Both lean a bit towards treble, the KRK moreso than the Senn. Both are around $80 new. They're both closed, too, so no one will hear anything but a quiet whisper at even loud volumes.

Actually, I'd really recommend the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S at just $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Step-Monitor/dp/B004MMEI8W/

And a pair of velour pads for them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2/

I know they're only $30 ($50), but they're supposed to be a real gem from what I've been reading around here. Phrases of "the best headphones I've ever bought for under $100" bandied about and whatnot. I have them on the way here and I'm very excited.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Well, I had a chance to try some Grado SR80i's, the Sennheiser HD280, and a few others.

I think the Grados sounded most appealing, but they just had too much noise leakage for my office(and I assume the same goes for the SR60i). They would be a cool set for my house, but I need to go a different route for work. The Sennheisers sounded ok, but didn't sound 80 dollars amazing to me. I only had a minute or so to listen to each one so not much time or variety, but it gave me an idea.

The Samson SR850 and the Panasonic HTF600 are still on the table and attractively priced, but I've read these have leakage issues as well(and the Panasonics look a little silly...not that it matters a whole lot, but maybe a little). Leakage is difficult to quantify from a review, and I haven't located a place to try either of them. These also seem to be very bassy, and perhaps not as suitable for jazz.

I should also note that I'd have to get creative at work to equalize any set, because based on the nature of my work our computer security is very tight and I can't get programs on it very easily.

I guess I'm back at the drawing board lol.

Thanks all for the help thusfar.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 11
It's an old headphone, but historically one of the best - Sony MDR-V6.  Music, Radio, and TV studios still use them in high volume.  They're a great first set in your adventure into audiophile headphones.  You can find them for about $75 at most places.  At B&H Photo in New York, you can actually order them with a house brand accessory - velour ear pads.  These days, they're knocked for having a very low bass thump and a pronounced upper-midrange, but IMHO, they walk all over Bose and Beats at a much lower price.  The important thing (besides the low price) is that they're totally closed.

Some of these guys are giving you good advice - any open or semi-open headphone is going to disturb your neighbors.  Grados leak sound like a sieve and they're my favorite headphones.  Sennheisers are the same.  In fact, I've never heard a more noisy headphone in my life than Senn HD800's.  I swear those things push more sound out beyond the ears than in the ears.  It's very distracting being in a room with someone listening to one of those - even in noise and a party atmosphere.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Well, I had a chance to try some Grado SR80i's, the Sennheiser HD280, and a few others.

I think the Grados sounded most appealing, but they just had too much noise leakage for my office(and I assume the same goes for the SR60i). They would be a cool set for my house, but I need to go a different route for work. The Sennheisers sounded ok, but didn't sound 80 dollars amazing to me. I only had a minute or so to listen to each one so not much time or variety, but it gave me an idea.

The Samson SR850 and the Panasonic HTF600 are still on the table and attractively priced, but I've read these have leakage issues as well(and the Panasonics look a little silly...not that it matters a whole lot, but maybe a little). Leakage is difficult to quantify from a review, and I haven't located a place to try either of them. These also seem to be very bassy, and perhaps not as suitable for jazz.

I should also note that I'd have to get creative at work to equalize any set, because based on the nature of my work our computer security is very tight and I can't get programs on it very easily.

I guess I'm back at the drawing board lol.

Thanks all for the help thusfar.

Them the brakes. There is a very good reason why John Grado will not touch a closed design ~ it's a sonic compromise.

Have you thought about a noise canceller?

Jude Mansilla (Mr Head-Fi, the guy who runs this joint) reviewed the Sennheiser PXC310 awhile back and thought the
sound quality was not too bad for a closed model, doubly so given that it should be dead silent, both ways, in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back