Headphone Recommendation (Over the Ear)
Oct 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MrMathias

New Head-Fier
Hello, everybody.  I just signed up for the head-fi forums, so forgive me if this is the wrong section of the forum that I am posting this thread in.  Anyways...

My birthday is coming up in about a month, and I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend some great over the ear headphones to me.

Basically, I've gone through so many pairs of headphones it's not even funny.  I always end up screwing with the cord too much and fraying the wire, thus blowing out the speaker for one of my ears unless I tilt the cord around until it's in a  VERY specific spot with which I can listen with both ears.  It's a bad habit, to say the least.

I'm looking for headphones that pretty much:

1.  Are SUPER resilient or have a detachable cord so I could replace it with ease if it broke

2.  Do not leak audio much

3.  At least muffle outside noise (I ride a bus to my school pretty much everyday, and it's a 55 minute long ride, so I always like to listen to a podcast or something)

4.  Have good audio quality (well, that's kind of a given, hehe)

Thanks for your help on this situation, guys.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Check out Sennheiser's HD280's. That'll give you the bass you want in your music. I'm personally about to buy some AKG K271 MKII's which I have found to be some quite magnificent headphones but they seem to not have much bass or really degrade when not amped properly (which in your case were you to purchase the AKGs if you so chose would cost around another $100 or so as well as carrying another case around the size of an ipod). With $150, you can't really enter Audiophile headphones unless your getting some open designed ones which allow other people to hear your music and you to hear others which would only frustrate you to no end on a bus. What I do recommend, are some in ear monitors. Basically really nice ipod earphones to put it brutally. I own a pair of UE Superfi 3's which aren't made anymore but are fantastic and an introductory pair. I needed them for drumming. Here's an amazon link for em. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-SuperFi-Studio--ear/dp/B000K2PDNM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317971366&sr=1-7 these however might fit your bill much more nicely http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XC they'll sound great on your music and you won't be able to here any one else. Those are my two cents.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 12
I feel like I might end up getting the 280s, because I love Sennheiser headphones; it's just that the audio cord broke too damn easily.  It says that these headphones have an easily replaceable cord, so that's good.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 12
You could also check out the Aiaiai TMA-1. I personally haven't tried them, so you'll just have to look them up for impressions.

Awesome avatar btw. I have been following mega64 since 2007
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 12
A used or good deal on Amazon pair of Sennheiser HD25-1-II's.  Bulletproof, replaceable steel cable, light, portable, in your budget, great sound, outstanding isolation, sound just fine out of a personal audio device.  What's not to like!

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 12
Superlux HD-668B, semi-open headphone, closed enough that you can hear your music, but also allows you to hear what is going on around you.
If you keep the volume reasonable, should bother anyone around you.
Comes with two detachable cables, a 3' and 10'.
Over $25 cheaper the the Senn HD-280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back