Headphone pick (narrowed down models)
Dec 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

platformerbg

New Head-Fier
 So basically I have decided to buy a new set of headphones. Here are the models I have in mind (after looking for 7 hours)
Sennheiser HD 598
Akg K550
AKG K-271 MKII
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2 (with M50 buds)
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM

We are talking about clear sound, somewhat good isolation and comfort. I don't have particular music tastes but I would say that I mostly listen to rock, pop, what I don't listen to is jazz and r&b. I also accept other recommendation for headphones as long as they don't cost more than 140 pounds (english currency which is around 200 $ but please look in uk, de, fr websites for price reference). I intend to use the headphones for portable devices (mainly music) and watching movies, also for home use (I have a fairly good sound card on my desktop) and for my laptop when I travel, I guess pretty much ordinary daily usage as one might describe it. Keep in mind I have almost zero to none experience with high quality headphones so any help would be appreciated I also don't mind if other models are recommended.

Edit: Plan on using the phone with this little guy: FiiO E06

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
AKG K167. done.
smily_headphones1.gif

They look and have perfect specs. I am almost certain that they are what I need. Too bad that I will have to order them from the USA, the price in the UK is crazy.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
How are the AKG K167s? For the price, I haven't read much about them.

I saw a lot of possitive review for them and they seem to offer the natural music I was searching for. They also seem to have a pretty good sound isolation and the cans, design is perfect for my taste. I am not going to rush into buying them but I feel pretty confident about their capabilities.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:
 I saw a lot of possitive review for them and they seem to offer the natural music I was searching for. They also seem to have a pretty good sound isolation and the cans, design is perfect for my taste. I am not going to rush into buying them but I feel pretty confident about their capabilities.

How do you think they compare to the Audio Technica ATH-M50

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I just got the M-50's so next headphone purchase will be way more high-end

I guess m50's is something that everyone likes. I don't want them since I am searching for something a bit better in terms of sound, the 167 seems also to be a newer model so that must explain the lack of any reviews whatsoever, hope I don't get dissapointed.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
  I guess m50's is something that everyone likes. I don't want them since I am searching for something a bit better in terms of sound, the 167 seems also to be a newer model so that must explain the lack of any reviews whatsoever, hope I don't get dissapointed.

I really really want the Audio Technica 2000x's I think that will be my next purchase, either that or CIEMs.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 28
I'd easily recommend the DT770's. I'm very interested in that Beyer line, probably going to go for DT990's myself, as I already own a pair of closed backs. The M50's are, however, also very good.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 28
Here is something to keep in mind. The M50 can be modded quite easily and you can get better sound out of it by doing so. The K167s are far better though. The bass boost feature allows you to choose just the right amount of bass for the music you listen to. If you wait until mid January and stock pile another 150 bucks (350-300 total), you can get the K267 which is going to be slightly better. From what I have read of the K167 is that it is like a 1 size fits all audiophile headphone where as the m50 is for bass lovers who don't have a lot of audio gear and just want a simple pair of headphones. The more audio gear you have, the easier it will be to customize the sound which is where something like the ath 900x will be good, and even greater still, the specs on the K167 blow the 900x out of the water.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
 So basically I have decided to buy a new set of headphones. Here are the models I have in mind (after looking for 7 hours)
Sennheiser HD 598
Akg K550
AKG K-271 MKII
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2 (with M50 buds)
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset - 80 OHM

We are talking about clear sound, somewhat good isolation and comfort. I don't have particular music tastes but I would say that I mostly listen to rock, pop, what I don't listen to is jazz and r&b. I also accept other recommendation for headphones as long as they don't cost more than 140 pounds (english currency which is around 200 $ but please look in uk, de, fr websites for price reference). I intend to use the headphones for portable devices (mainly music) and watching movies, also for home use (I have a fairly good sound card on my desktop) and for my laptop when I travel, I guess pretty much ordinary daily usage as one might describe it. Keep in mind I have almost zero to none experience with high quality headphones so any help would be appreciated I also don't mind if other models are recommended.

Edit: Plan on using the phone with this little guy: FiiO E06

AKG K550/551, DT770 or K167s. Personally I LOVE my buddies dt770 so I can recommend them very highly. Skip on the 598s as they dont have any isolation. Skip the m50. I find them just ok and uncomfortable. 

cheers

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 28
 Yeah going for k 167 hope that the postage from the USA is not that much. The difference in price is 60-70 pounds which is 1/2 of the product (USA) I would prefer waiting 4-8 weeks than buying at the crazy price in the UK.
 Thanks for all your help guys :) will talk about my headphones when I receive them as they are pretty unknown (I guess) at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back