Headphone noob seeking help!
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ch00b1f13

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi, this is my first post here but a lot of recent searches have led me to this forum. I currently have a bit of a dilemma in my headphone life. Basically, around 9 months ago I purchased a pair of Bose QC15. (Do not flame me for this, i do admit they are not worth their $300 price tag and that I did make a mistake.) Now, I am looking to step forward into the audiophile world and purchase a new set of cans.

I've narrowed it down to two headphones but any suggestions are more than welcomed. The two headphones I have narrowed it down to are;

Sennheiser HD 595  and

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms)

Most of my music will be played through an mp3 player and i listen to mostly hip hop and rap. I am mainly looking for sound quality and comfort and I am wondering which will be better for my needs.

My budget is about $230, and i have found the HD 595 for $130 and DT 770 Pro for around $200. I just want to know which one I should pull the trigger on, or if these headphones will be well suited for me.

Thank you!

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 22
boy...   where to begin.

you've chosen two headphones that are very different. 
so, your decision may be made simpler if we just acknowledge those differences.

the dt770/80 is closed.  isolates fairly well.  bass heavy, with slightly recessed midrange.
treble is extended and somewhat bright.

the hd595 is open.  does not isolate.  bass light, with very forward midrange.  slightly laid back presentation to music.
treble is rolled off.  presentation is slightly dark as a result.

both are full size, over the ear, and are comfortable. 
however, the hd595 will be easier to drive with an ipod than the dt770.  the dt770 could still benefit from some amplification...

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 22
How about cutting down on all the bumping!? Original thread and two bumps in one (1) hour is ridiculous!
angry_face.gif

Behave well and you will get help.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 22
To the OP, it can take awhile for members to get through all the threads. A lot of us check in on threads with few or no posts. I don't like to see threads go unanswered, so I try to either answer or give some direction. But I can't be here all day and neither can most members.

Anyhow, I've listened to both of those, but am not crazy about either. However, a lot of people with your tastes seem to like Ultrasones and Denons. You might want to read up on those.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 22
Sorry abbot the bumping kr, and Uncle Erik which models of the ultrasones and denons can you recommend for someone playing music with through an iPad and the genres of music I have listed? :)

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 22
No problem - don't take the criticism the wrong way and I hope you stay around and get into the conversation here.

I'm not too up on the Ultrasone models, but the Denon D2000 is in your price range and it seems like something you'd enjoy.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 22
It sounds like you are in a hurry?
Since you already have something to listen to, perhaps you could invest a little time into finding various dealers and doing some listening before you buy?
Just a thought, as this is what I am currently doing to build my first dedicated headphone system... lots of consideration up front, so that I can meet my short and long term listening goals.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back