Headphone Newbie: Help me choose a good pair of around 100, preferably under, but it's okay if above
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

64Days

New Head-Fier
 Sound quality is the most important, along with durability, comfort and style.

I listen to many types of music, everything from MGMT and Foster the People, Deadmau5, Classified, Justice, Immortal Technique, all the way to orchestral and piano styling pieces. The music will be played mainly from my laptop and Desire HD (Phone). I don't need headphones with a overpowering bass but I don't want one where all music sounds kind of boring, it needs to have some life. I will probably also end up using these to watch movies and shows on my laptop.

Portability isn't a huge problem as long as they can go in a backpack without being destroyed (Durability comes in here) and can be worn around my head or neck comfortably while on the go. Because they are partly for on the go I can't do open cans for it leaks too much sound to those nearby (If I understand correctly)

I guess I also want a pair with a reasonable volume so if I'm walking with them around my neck I could still play music audibly if I wished, but other than that I do not listen to my music especially loud.

I've been doing a bit of research and pricing, and found that the Sennheiser HD 448s were good sound quality and design mostly but were lacking in base according to many reviews? I found a pair from an authorized reseller that's 95 after shipping, is it worth it?

I also read about the Audio Technicas ATH M50s and heard nothing but great things about them, but after shipping the cheapest I saw is around $135, I live in Canada but I have a PO Box across the border (I'm in a border city) but it ends up costing an extra $10 to pick it up with the fees for holding my stuff and gas and bridge crossing, plus some of my time, so sometimes it's easier just to ship it here. If any of you know of a good price for the M50s or have anything to say about them please do tell!

Also: I would also prefer a pair of headphones with a clean nice style, for example I really enjoy the looks of the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Thanks for the help :). I know its a big request and I apoligize for that, but I'm hoping you guys can provide some good advice.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

The HD448's are cheaply built. They sound good, but man are they flimsy. I wouldn't call them durable at all. I'd avoid that line. If you want a closed sennheiser look at the pro series, like HD 280 PRO and HD 380 PRO.

The M50 is a good headphone, neutral, it clamps pretty well, very isolated, swivels and folds, very portable, easy to transport with and quite durable. An alternative is the Shure 840. You could also check out the Ultrasone DJ1.

Very best,

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the answer! 

I'm a bit hesitant after hearing about the 448s, and so I think that is gonna be out of the question.

I keep hearing better and better things about this M50, and it's becoming more and more tempting to buy, when I find a good deal I will probably end up getting this if I already haven't got a pair.

I checked out the other two you suggested and they both got excellent reviews especially on sound clarity and quality, so Im also going to be looking further into these headphones, and I have a feeling it will be a fight between these and the m50s in the end.

If anybody has any other input on any of these phones are any other suggestions please tell!

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Spent quite a bit of time today searching through the headphones you suggested and others and decided I'm most likely to go with the ATH - M50s at this point. I do have several concerns though and it would be nice if someone answered these:

- I've been reading that the bass on these are excellent, but I want to know if the rest of the sound of them is as good, and not muddled out by the bass? (Of course this is me coming from listening to my music from out of earphones that came with my phone and out of my laptop, so Im sure any good sound would be a massive upgrade)

- I've also read the fit is VERY tight and may be uncomfortable to people with larger heads. Are they at all adjustable? Although my head isn't that big, with the added bit of volume from my hair I'm somewhat afraid they me a bit tad tight?

Thanks in advance for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back