Headphone + Earbud recommendations
Apr 14, 2011 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DayofCalm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I just joined the Head-Fi forums, but I've been reading up for a a little while now. I'm slowly finding myself becoming an audiophile whether or not I want to :/.
Anyway, I'm looking into buying my first legitimately decent pair of headphones. The quandary I find myself in is as follows:
Assume a budget of $200-$400. I'm looking to buy both a pair of headphones and a pair of earbuds. I've been learning how to DJ to some extent recently, and since I'm heading off to school soon, I think this could definitely be something I'd like to continue. However, I'm also fairly active, and quite frankly have just always been satisfied with the general feel and results of earbuds. To the point, I've only ever really used anything as good as V-Moda Bass Freqs ("as good as" is a relative term, heh) but I would be interested in getting something slightly higher-end. I listen primarily to electronica music ("techno", as it is often labeled), so something bass-heavy would be reasonable. Given the budget, and that I'm looking into one of each type, my current ideas are as follows:

Earbuds:
Monster Turbines (~$100). I've heard good things about the bass and the general feel. People say they're a little heavy, but the tip variety would seem like it might account for that reasonably well.
Monster Turbines Pro Gold/Copper(varies, but generally ~$250). Basically a better version of the originals from what I understand. Not sure that it'd be wise to spend the majority of my budget on the earbuds, however. People tend to appear very satisfied with the quality here, though.
Klipsch Image s4 (~$75). Once again, I've seen good reviews about the audio range of these buds. People generally seem to like Klipsch a little better than Monster, but that might be company bias. Unsure.
Sennheiser CX 300-II (~$75). Couldn't find quite as much on these, but Sennheiser seems to be a favorite across the board and they seemed comparable to the turbines at a lower price.
Sennheiser IE8 (~$270). Almost unanimously seem the favorite of the listed earbuds (although some would argue the Turbines Pro), but very pricey given the budget. Doesn't leave too much room for the actual headphones.

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (~$200). As above, people seem to like Sennheiser, but opinions about both the 280s and 380s seemed a little divided. Curious for input.
Sennheiser HD 558 (~$250). Quality is reputedly good, bass is reputedly warm but not overpowering.

I'm really open to other suggestions (it's late, and I can't find the slip where I wrote down all of them anyway, so I'm just going from memory and Google). Things to remember include: potential for DJing, and electronica music (thus, need strong bass).

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks, and I look forward to future posting on Head-Fi. Whatever I end up getting, I'll probably offer my opinions on.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. 

If you need details and good bass, take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580's. 
(in not an iem user, i cant comment on them)

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. The ultrasone hfi-580s look to be very conducive to my desires, although I'm not as certain about the triple fi's. Anyone had experience with turbines that would care to share?

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. The ultrasone hfi-580s look to be very conducive to my desires, although I'm not as certain about the triple fi's. Anyone had experience with turbines that would care to share?

Ultrasone cans and Fischer DBA-02 for IEMs.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 15
So it seems like Ultrasone is the consensus on the headphones. Which begs the new question, which are the best for the price? The HFI-580s (~$150) seem nice, but the HFI 680s (~$150), pro 550s (~$150) and the DJ1 Pro's (~$180) seem comparable. Alternatively, is it worth spending more on something like the HFI 2400s (~$250) then skimping on the buds?

Input is appreciated! I have literally no experience with Ultrasone or the various models, so anything really helps. I'll look for other threads on it too, though, it's just nice to receive testimony directly on occasion.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 15
So it seems like Ultrasone is the consensus on the headphones. Which begs the new question, which are the best for the price? The HFI-580s (~$150) seem nice, but the HFI 680s (~$150), pro 550s (~$150) and the DJ1 Pro's (~$180) seem comparable. Alternatively, is it worth spending more on something like the HFI 2400s (~$250) then skimping on the buds?

Input is appreciated! I have literally no experience with Ultrasone or the various models, so anything really helps. I'll look for other threads on it too, though, it's just nice to receive testimony directly on occasion.

I only have experience with the Pro 750, and I loved them. I'd say you'd be safe with the Pro 550, but then again I haven't heard a single bad thing about Ultrasones...so you'd probably be good with any of their closed offerings.

Also, I would say try to get equal sound quality between the 2 so it only matters on situation between the 2. Don't get the point where you say 'Well, my headphones sound better, but the buds are easier to carry.'

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 15
The HFI 580 is the easiest to drive.  680 needs an amp and so does the pro series.  680 suppose to have the least bass of the HFIs, still bassy but more balanced.

PRO 550 and DJ1 PRO are the same like 580 and DJ1.  have a search for the reviews of 580 vs Pro 550.  think better off getting the 580 instead of the pro 550.

2400 is the open ultrasone.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 15
Not completely set on the Fischer DBA-02 yet, but definitely enticed. Gonna shop around a tad, but keeping that in mind.
Sounds like pretty much all the Ultrasones are good for what I'm shooting for. Didn't realize the 2400s were open though :p
I appreciate the help guys! I'll let you know if I make my decision, but I might have more questions before I do, haha. Is the first delve into good headphones always supposed to be such a big thing? xD Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Went ahead and ordered the HFI-580s and Monster Turbines (I figured the turbines are at least worth a shot; if I'm not happy, I'll probably look into the Fischer DBA-02 next).
Now comes the waiting! Ugh can't wait for them to get here, hah. Thanks for the suggestions all, I'll give my input on the gear shortly after arrival!

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 15
nice one.  hope you like them.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back