Headphone and amp question
Aug 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Petden

New Head-Fier
I have been doing some reading on this forum recently and just decided to join and ask a few questions and see what people think. I am looking to get a new pair of headphones, they have to be over the ear, as on ear is very uncomfortable for me. I was talking to a buddy and he mentioned that his Grado 325's are the best investment that he has made. At this point I decided to do some research and see what was available and came across the Denon 2k's. Both of these seem very good price/value.

I will using them for mainly gaming and music, with the genre of music being anything from rap to classical. Recently I just purchased some Audioengine A5+ for use as computer speakers with a simple gefen dac to allow the output on the pc go from optical to stereo. I dont need any special footstep booster or any tech like that. I just want high quality sound, that is very balance. Also through my reading I see people saying that most of these headphones would see a noticeable increase in performance from proper amplification. 

My question is around the $300 price range for the headphones  and maybe <$150 for the amp what would be the cheapest amp that would work well. I am open to other suggestions if anyone has any. I have heard some decent reviews for the Fiio products as well. How is the Fiio E9 compared to the Audioengine N22 amp.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 7
The d2k is a good starter if you like bass. It's built from the bottom up. Also, it's discontinued and going for much more than it was just a few months ago. 

You could like at something like the Beyer dt990 plus the fiio e17. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I have been doing some reading on this forum recently and just decided to join and ask a few questions and see what people think. I am looking to get a new pair of headphones, they have to be over the ear, as on ear is very uncomfortable for me. I was talking to a buddy and he mentioned that his Grado 325's are the best investment that he has made. At this point I decided to do some research and see what was available and came across the Denon 2k's. Both of these seem very good price/value.

I will using them for mainly gaming and music, with the genre of music being anything from rap to classical. Recently I just purchased some Audioengine A5+ for use as computer speakers with a simple gefen dac to allow the output on the pc go from optical to stereo. I dont need any special footstep booster or any tech like that. I just want high quality sound, that is very balance. Also through my reading I see people saying that most of these headphones would see a noticeable increase in performance from proper amplification. 

My question is around the $300 price range for the headphones  and maybe <$150 for the amp what would be the cheapest amp that would work well. I am open to other suggestions if anyone has any. I have heard some decent reviews for the Fiio products as well. How is the Fiio E9 compared to the Audioengine N22 amp.

Heya,

With that budget, I would just put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with a Fiio E10 DAC/AMP.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Some interesting replies. I found http://baybloorradio.com/index.php and they seem to have some products but they dont have any hifiman. I am in canada so I'm not entirely sure where I could get the products without incurring huge duty taxes and shipping fees. If anyone knows reputable canadian retailers that I could take a look at that would be great too.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

With that budget, I would just put you on a Hifiman HE-400 with a Fiio E10 DAC/AMP.

Very best,

I actually thought about the he400 but that e10 is just barely getting by. But I concede...it is a better setup.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back