Headphone amp for HD600
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vlad951

New Head-Fier
I've finally decided to upgrade my HD555 headphones to the HD600s, and I was wondering what amplifier should I get to drive them properly. I will be using the computer as the source, and currently I only have an on-board sound card... So should I just get a card like the Xonar Essence ST that already has a headphone amp, or instead, get a separate DAC/amp like the FiiO E7/E9 combo for example?

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser HD 600   300-Ohm
You can get a cheap single tube headphone amplifier off eBay for as cheap as $60 that will work with your 300-Ohm headphones.
You can plug the tube amp. into the stereo mini jack speaker output of your on-board sound card.
My ($90) Indeed 6922EH single tube headphone amp. work just fine with my DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

But I'm sure that $200 Asus Xonar Essence ST would do the job.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I've finally decided to upgrade my HD555 headphones to the HD600s, and I was wondering what amplifier should I get to drive them properly. I will be using the computer as the source, and currently I only have an on-board sound card... So should I just get a card like the Xonar Essence ST that already has a headphone amp, or instead, get a separate DAC/amp like the FiiO E7/E9 combo for example?

Heya,

You should certainly upgrade over onboard sound. That signal coming out of the headphone jack is amplified. So you're sending an amplified signal to yet another amplifier. It might start sounding bad. If you want to keep it inexpensive, the Xonar DG or ST would be a decent start. But really, I'd go discreet unless you're an avid gamer on your computer using the headphones. If gaming a lot, then you need the soundcard with a good amp (Xonar ST, DG, STX, Titanium HD, etc, or go with something like the Astro Mixamp). If just mostly music, go discreet. The E9 is a powerful amp, it will power those HD600's nicely. And the E7 is a very capable little DAC. Great combo. Even lets you use your HD600's portable. For about $100, the E9 is great though, cheap for the amount of power it outputs. I will suggest another combo, the Matrix Cube Dac. And another option is the Maverick TubeMagic D1.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back