Headphone Amp Advice
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sandstorm810

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I'm looking to upgrade my headphone setup. Right now I've got a set of AKG K171 Mkii 'phones (which are 55 ohm) going straight from my computer. I use the FiiO E6 for my iPod. I am looking for a headphone amp (sub $300) to improve my setup. I've had my sights set on the Schiit Asgard for a while now, but am also considering the tube amps Little Dot MK II or MK III. My question is: which amp would be a good match with my current headphones (also good for any future headphones I may decide to purchase)? Also are there any other choices under $300 worth considering? Also I own the HRT MusicStreamer II, and use it with my stereo, but plan to use this in combination with the amp I get.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Do you find a significant improvement when going from computer to iPod/E6?  I only ask because I find very little difference (other than volume) between my Icon HDP and my mobo DAC/amp. 

If you don't really need an amp to improve the SQ or to increase the volume of your computer sound, I'm not sure you'd see that much difference between the E6 and a slightly more expensive amp.  You might expand your listening pleasure more spending the $300 on a second pair of headphones - especially if you can go with something open.

Having said that, I will admit that there are times I appreciate being able to crank up the volume; max dB on both the HD598s and K550s is ok but not great coming unamped from the PC.

And if you're thinking about a tube amp, you might look at Project Sunrise II.  I'm about to start building one both for the project fun and to see how much difference a tube makes. 
smile.gif
  Great kit that's also available assembled.

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi,

I'm looking to upgrade my headphone setup. Right now I've got a set of AKG K171 Mkii 'phones (which are 55 ohm) going straight from my computer. I use the FiiO E6 for my iPod. I am looking for a headphone amp (sub $300) to improve my setup. I've had my sights set on the Schiit Asgard for a while now, but am also considering the tube amps Little Dot MK II or MK III. My question is: which amp would be a good match with my current headphones (also good for any future headphones I may decide to purchase)? Also are there any other choices under $300 worth considering? Also I own the HRT MusicStreamer II, and use it with my stereo, but plan to use this in combination with the amp I get.

I think your over spending for a headphone amplifier for your current headphone.
Get the SMSL SAP-100 headphone amplifier, sold on eBay, $65.
The Musicstreamer II should make a good DAC.
Put the rest of the cash in the bank (or Trade Union)
In Sept, Oct, Nov. headphone prices will come down (at least on some models) on headphones and maybe some nicer amps.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I appreciate the replies! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Well... I understand that I may be overspending a bit on an amp for my current AKG's. But like I indicated in the original post, I want something that will be good for better headphones in the future. And since I already own a really nice DAC (HRT MSII), I want something that'd pair up nicely with that.

The Project Sunrise II looks pretty good, and I dig the idea of having a tube pre-amp at my disposal. The Little Dot amps also have a line-out for pre-amp use, I noticed.

Another thing: I mainly use headphones for general music listening but also plan to use them more for audio mixing purposes. So SQ is very important to me.

With this all being said, the specs on the SMSL SAP-100 look really impressive for that price...

I'll continue doing some research. I'm open to more suggestions.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I appreciate the replies! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Well... I understand that I may be overspending a bit on an amp for my current AKG's. But like I indicated in the original post, I want something that will be good for better headphones in the future. And since I already own a really nice DAC (HRT MSII), I want something that'd pair up nicely with that.
The Project Sunrise II looks pretty good, and I dig the idea of having a tube pre-amp at my disposal. The Little Dot amps also have a line-out for pre-amp use, I noticed.
Another thing: I mainly use headphones for general music listening but also plan to use them more for audio mixing purposes. So SQ is very important to me.
With this all being said, the specs on the SMSL SAP-100 look really impressive for that price...
I'll continue doing some research. I'm open to more suggestions.

I've never used the SMSL SAP-100, but It has a great price.
Tubes are nice, but tubes are good for high Ohm headphones because tubes provide lots voltage.
Low Ohm headphones like current, not voltage, which solid state amplifiers are better at.
Solid state can work fine with high Ohm headphones.
And Hybrid try to be both (like some Little Dots)
You could end up buying low Ohm headphones like the Denon AH-D2000, which is only 25-Ohms.
Or you could buy Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones.
So you might consider figuring out which headphones you might buy before spending a lot on an Amps. (my two cents).

I've also had the itch to get the Project Sunrise amp.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I've also had the itch to get the Project Sunrise amp.

I have the Gen 1 Project Sunrise and I personally find it to be a great bang-for-the-buck addition.  I get a nice warmth on my DT880 600ohms and I can definitely hear a difference on my Grado 60i though I can't quite put my finger on it.  It's cleaner than running the latter right off my iPod (even with the FIIO E6 or similar) or laptop but as it doesn't need a lot of juice to run, it's hard for me to objectively nail down the changes the Sunrise gives relative to, say, running it straight off my EMU 0404 USB DAC's solid state headphone amp.  It's definitely in your budget and, hey, who doesn't want a glowing tube on their desk? 

I'm now itching to try the Sunrise II or the higher powered Horizon with the 600ohms.  Though the Schiit lineup seems to be gaining pluses in this area too. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Oh, forgot to mention, Jeremy at Project Sunrise is an awesome and knowledgable guy. If you have specific questions with regard to building kits or just matching your headphones to his settings, he'll get you a solid response I'm sure. 

As someone who just got into a tube amp on a whim, that was a big deal. Learned a lot just in our eBay shipping convo that I wouldn't have gotten by buying somewhere else.  FWIW. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back