HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Aug 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #271 of 1,103
I am looking forward to the pico slim, especially since losing my pico amp / dac. I may still buy another pico amp / dac, because it was the best portable for work with ipod or computer and it's small size is great.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #276 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a prototype of the enclosure in today.

It's very different from the rendering in the first post, but how? This is one of the 'surprises' I said was still to come. More later..

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one piece then: it makes the original enclosure look THICK. I did say the specifications were subject to change.

I'm hoping you've got the input on the back with the USB, and output on the front with the volume control. That way a Nano with 90 degree low-profile dock (like the Punnisher LOD) will not block the headphone out or volume control - and then the Pico DAC-only can use a dual 90 degree mini-mini to connect to the Slim without blocking the headphone out or volume as well. Fingers crossed...

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #278 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping you've got the input on the back with the USB, and output on the front with the volume control. That way a Nano with 90 degree low-profile dock (like the Punnisher LOD) will not block the headphone out or volume control - and then the Pico DAC-only can use a dual 90 degree mini-mini to connect to the Slim without blocking the headphone out or volume as well. Fingers crossed...

that would be similar design like the shadow?
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #279 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would be similar design like the shadow?
frown.gif

No. Just a similar jack location, but nothing else of the design would be similar.

Think about it - let's say you have a 6-12" USB run from laptop to Pico DAC-only like I do, and you run some RCA interconnects off the back of the desk to a full size amp (in my case Amphora).

Next you also set a portable amp next to or on top of the Pico DAC-only to connect via the 1/8" jack - but to connect the amp to the DAC with a typical portable 90 degree mini-mini (like my ALO cryo silver x) means that the amp's headphone jack and volume are facing AWAY from you. If you rotate the whole thing 180 degrees you now have the headphone jack and volume facing you, but you also have the RCA jacks facing you with these big RCA cables all over your desktop now. To avoid that means instead of using your current nice short $100-150 cryo silver x mini-mini interconnect, that you have to build a new longer 9-12" long mini-mini just to run from the back of the Pico DAC-only to the front of the Pico Slim.

And, with a 3G or 4G Nano and a punnisher 90 degree low profile LOD, the LOD will either hit the volume knob or cover the headphone jack or input jack if all of them are on the same side. I can't use my slim iBasso T4 amp because the LOD covers the headphone jack, and if I flip the amp over the input on the amp is too offset to stack the Nano and amp on top of each other with velcro.

Just because Shadow uses that layout doesn't mean it's a bad thing (based on yoru sad smiley face). The Shadow sounds great, and reminds me a lot of the P-51 Mustang. I liked the sound of the Pico Slim with my ES3X because it was richer than my Pico, but just as smooth.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #280 of 1,103
i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it.........................

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #281 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbaroude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it,i want it.........................

Tooooo much, magic bus.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #283 of 1,103
I've been saving this photo. For the enclosure of the Pico Slim, I'm going in a new direction.

Instead of an extrusion, which is not perfect (lower quality alloy, not great tolerances, needs to be thicker, screws must be put on the front/back of box)....I'm having the enclosures for the Pico Slim machined out of a solid block of aluminum. This is the most precise and highest quality way to make an enclosure. The result: an extremely thin, smooth block barely thicker than a pencil. It can just slide right between 2 fingers.

Another advantage of this is how easy it is to replace the internal battery. Just remove the 4 screws on the bottom, the battery will be sitting right there, unplug it and insert a new one.

Here is a photo of what it is. Right now, the holes are being put in the front/back and then it's being sent to be anodized and laser engraved. So in about 2 weeks I'll have photos of a finished Pico Slim box.

It's only 0.37" thick -- extremely thin. I would estimate around 60-70% the thickness of competing amps, and it is 77% the thickness of an iPhone. Anyone who already has a regular Pico and knows how small it is can better judge the photo below.

picoslim.jpg

More in about 2 weeks

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #285 of 1,103
That's unreal. And I thought the T4 was tiny.
Would be great if Justin would at least acknowledge my pm's about the possibillity of having a protoype unit available for the Danish head-fi meet in October but so far my pm's have been ignored. Guess he is just too busy developing to answer messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back