HeadAmp Pico Slim Portable Amplifier
Aug 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #256 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no 'race'. If anyone is racing, it's not me. I announced details of the Pico Slim and a few days later other products surfaced in response. There is a lot of work that has been/will be put into the Pico Slim that others do not have to deal with because they chose easier paths. I have a tendency to make things difficult and expensive for myself. In this case, it was wanting to use what I felt was the best and most complete digital volume control chip available when it's not "plug-n-play". And using a proper, safely designed USB charger, instead of just considering the USB port to be "free power" and this also led to the ability to update the Pico Slim's software by USB. There is some other stuff too that will not be revealed until a production unit is in my hands.

I love your attention to every single detail. Everything about PICO screams quality. Take as much time as you like, I'm waiting patiently for the pre-order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #258 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be worth the wait, trust me. I had the opportunity to listen to an early prototype and even then it was nothing short of fantastic.

if i am looking for transparency and speed, would pico slim satisfy me?
atsmile.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #259 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i am looking for transparency and speed, would pico slim satisfy me?
atsmile.gif

In my opinion, yes.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #261 of 1,103
Justin - Are you about to release pico slim with DAC also? Like Pico Slim DAC/Amp combo?

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #262 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justin - Are you about to release pico slim with DAC also? Like Pico Slim DAC/Amp combo?

Yes, please...
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #264 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no 'race'. If anyone is racing, it's not me. I announced details of the Pico Slim and a few days later other products surfaced in response. There is a lot of work that has been/will be put into the Pico Slim that others do not have to deal with because they chose easier paths. I have a tendency to make things difficult and expensive for myself. In this case, it was wanting to use what I felt was the best and most complete digital volume control chip available when it's not "plug-n-play". And using a proper, safely designed USB charger, instead of just considering the USB port to be "free power" and this also led to the ability to update the Pico Slim's software by USB. There is some other stuff too that will not be revealed until a production unit is in my hands.

I regret that I was unable to hear the Pico Slim at the NorCal meet. Very much looking forward to it.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #265 of 1,103
I am thinking if it will be affordable I am in....but I doubt this will be under 300...

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #266 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking if it will be affordable I am in....but I doubt this will be under 300...

Who knows but Justin, but maybe during the introduction period the price would be low enough.
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #267 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be worth the wait, trust me. I had the opportunity to listen to an early prototype and even then it was nothing short of fantastic.

Nate, which IEMs or headphones did you try?

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #268 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm pretty sure I tried it with everything that I had on hand:

Ety ER4Ps, both with and without the S cable
Livewires (the original model)
Senn 650s
HF-1s (woodied)

I ran it through a pretty good gamut of headphones and came away very impressed. This was a very early prototype though and I know that Justin has made improvements since then.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #269 of 1,103
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried it with my FreQShows and it was outstanding. The volume control was the best I've used of the new digital volume controls on portable amps. It was quiet, the adjustment as you raised the volume was smooth as if there were no steps and the sound was even on both channels from the moment you hear sound as you raise the volume. I did not find the Shadow's volume control to be as smooth. I also don't recall that the same came from as black a background. I also prefer having the volume knob on the Slim to the lever (not sure what to call it) on the Shadow. In terms of the amps themselves, I preferred the Pico Slim to the Shadow for essentially the same reasons I preferred the Pico Amp/DAC ot the Predator. To me it has a more refined sound. I am really looking forward to the Slim.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #270 of 1,103
Mike, you're simply killing me with all that talk. I want one NOW. Oh well
tongue.gif
alm:

I'm glad to hear the Slim works well with full size headphones as well. I've cleared out my portable amp inventory save for the Mini^3 in anticipation of the Slim. I'll sell that, too, once I get a new portable.

I've also got my eyes set on the Pico amp/DAC as I find myself using my notebook as a source more often. I've been on the Team HeadAmp bandwagon as of late, having picked up riceboy's GS-1 from veloaudio. It's helping me to forget my longing for the Beta22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back