HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Dec 24, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #676 of 3,724
I figure I should throw you guys a bone instead of keeping everything to myself.
tongue.gif

As it turns out, incidentally my CD-based system almost exactly approximates the electronics of the Pico: the Arcam FMJ CD33 (CD player) has a quartet of Wolfson WM8740 DACs per channel and upsamples to 24/192 (beyond the 24/96 rate of the Pico) using the same ASRC, the Analog Devices AD1896. From the analog outputs are my VH Audio Spectrum Ag interconnects, going into the HeadAmp AE-2, which from all accounts has near the same amplification stage of the Pico, including the AD8397 op-amp. (And then my Signal Cable Silver Res Reference power cord on the CDP.)

So essentially the Pico is basically the core of my CD-based system, which of course means I have the rare opportunity to find out how CD compares to lossless digital.

I've ripped a few of my reference CD tracks to FLAC with Foobar2000 for playback. Headphones being used are my SAA Equinox-recabled K701.

The results when comparing the same track on the Pico in its FLAC format versus being played back on my CD system aren't surprising at all. The sound through the Pico is nearly identical to the CD-based system in every aspect of sound quality. I repeat though: nearly identical. They are not the same and the CD system sounds noticeably better in various aspects. For some people these differences might be subtle but I find them not that subtle, I was able to discern the differences on my first listen and repeated listens confirmed them even more.

The Pico is also completely silent at all volume levels when at rest, when using my Klipsch IMAGE, which also arrived yesterday.

In other words, the Pico sounds a lot like my Arcam/AE-2 combo and indeed gets very close. The price difference between these systems? The Pico w/ DAC is $500. The Arcam/AE-2 combo is $2,800. Take from that what you will.

This is all I'll write about the Pico for now, I will not be writing any actual sonic impressions until my full review on StereoMojo.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #677 of 3,724
Okay, I've read so many reviews on this thing I've confused myself, so I'll just ask...is the Pico a relaxed, warmer sounding amp/DAC, or is it more analytical?
I'm very torn between one of these, and the Predator. If it helps, I like to listen to Sinatra...but I also like to listen to electronic music and like the really low bass.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #678 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grr! Delivered but I foolishly had it sent to my office where I won't be til Thursday.

Nice to hear that it beats out an imod/sr-71 combo, but not terribly surprising.

You better hope nobody in your company's mail room is reading this thread
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #679 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other words, the Pico sounds a lot like my Arcam/AE-2 combo and indeed gets very close. The price difference between these systems? The Pico w/ DAC is $500. The Arcam/AE-2 combo is $2,800. Take from that what you will.

Impressive indeed, I knew the final version would be something very special after hearing that early beta back in July.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #680 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I've read so many reviews on this thing I've confused myself, so I'll just ask...is the Pico a relaxed, warmer sounding amp/DAC, or is it more analytical?
I'm very torn between one of these, and the Predator. If it helps, I like to listen to Sinatra...but I also like to listen to electronic music and like the really low bass.

More analytical than relaxed/warm, but not hyper-analytical. The DAC implementation is probably unbeatable at the ~1k price point. Nothing comes close to it portable or non-portable.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #681 of 3,724
I also had my Pico shipped to my office and of course it arrived at the post office Sunday morning. Since our mail room picks up daily, I took the chance that it would be in our company bin and made the long drive in heavy knucklehead traffic. Was well worth the risk and the drive. See below . . .

Thank. You. Justin.

Under the iMod Nano
pico1jf3.jpg

pico2io0.jpg

Hooked up to my desktop; sound via Foobar2K, Apple lossless files. USB DAC recognition was fast and easy.

pico3jn9.jpg

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #684 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ripped a few of my reference CD tracks to FLAC with Foobar2000 for playback.

Asr, did you use ASIO (ASIO4ALL) for playback?

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #686 of 3,724
Mine just arrived. Almost hugged and kissed the mailman
biggrin.gif

It has a nice solid feel and if my memory serves right, it is slightly bigger than my Xin Supermini.

I let it charge a little bit before hooking up to my Iriver.

Thank so much, Justin

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #687 of 3,724
Dec 24, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #688 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And why does your company office have a joystick?
smily_headphones1.gif

Ha; this is actually my home surfing/gaming rig. The joystick for my office rig stays in my desk. I'll be trying out COD4 shortly with the Pico providing the sounds of death and destruction .

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic question:
Have you ever compared the iMod nano to a 4G or 5G iMod? If so, how does it compare?
On topic question:
How is the amp section on initial impressions?
Thanks!

Nope on any other iMods; just the INanie. Just now starting to listen to amp as well as USB. Initial impressions on amp are very positive; this does not sound like a portable by any standard.

What I was aiming for in dynamic gear (have since gone higher end electrostatic) was a compact portable system suitable for travel, casual listening at work, etc. I overshot this mark considerably; I might, along with HF-1s, have my dynamic rig needs covered.

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #690 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Duh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would one of you lucky people with a new Pico please post a few quick dimensions? I'd greatly appreciate it!

If you check out the first post, Justin put the dimensions in that post...it think it's just before the impression section. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back