HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #3,046 of 3,724
Don't worry luis, they don't
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #3,047 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's strange to hear the ESW10JPN's have the weak bass.

Strange indeed - I find the ESW10JPN to be a little more full bodied than the RS-1 unless I switch the RS-1 to flats, but then soundstage and clarity suffers.

I do agree the Pico and Stello DA100 are very similar as a USB DAC (or DAC/Pre-amp) and both very good.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #3,048 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do agree the Pico and Stello DA100 are very similar as a USB DAC (or DAC/Pre-amp) and both very good.

I'm thinking of upgrading my DacMagic to the DA100 Signature....
So, would be great if there's a balanced Pico DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #3,049 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of upgrading my DacMagic to the DA100 Signature....
So, would be great if there's a balanced Pico DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

You've seen my thoughts of the DACMagic in that other thread - those of us at the CO head-fi meet in November thought the Stello DA100 and Apogee mini-DAC were both better than DACMagic. A few Liked the Stello more than the Apogee as it was more relaxed, and the Pico shares that same trait. Unless Justin shares with us whether there will be a balanced Pico, you may have to get the Signature for your Little Dot.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3,050 of 3,724
Hey there. Hope no problems with reply given that im a new member with no posts, but would like to order a PICO with DAC if possible. Just check the edition with DAC is still perfectly ok for other non usb connect portable use like ipod/phone whatever? Cheers and look forward to reply. Oh id like it in black please! Cheers again.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3,051 of 3,724
It is soon going to be confusing to just say "I want Pico with DAC" since we are going to have several options like a Pico Amp only, Pico Amp with Dac and finally the new addition to the line a Pico that only a Dac and no amp.

Since the Dac only option is what I am thinking of getting when I first read design's post, that is the context at which I first read it but after re-reading it, it is clear design wants the Pico Amp with Dac, right!

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #3,052 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by designmaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there. Hope no problems with reply given that im a new member with no posts, but would like to order a PICO with DAC if possible. Just check the edition with DAC is still perfectly ok for other non usb connect portable use like ipod/phone whatever? Cheers and look forward to reply. Oh id like it in black please! Cheers again.

yes it is okay, except the DAC in the Pico amp with Dac is not in use when connected to the ipod/ iphone through the 3.5 mm mini jack in the front, only the amp segment is engaged.

only when the USB connection is used, is the DAC engaged.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3,055 of 3,724
I just got my pico yesterday. Haven't had time to really put it through the paces but initial impression is wonderful. My only frame of reference is coming from the stock WA6 so we are talking about different animals here but I'm really loving my Senn 650s with the Pico. They have more lower bass than with the WA6 with either the Sovtek or the Sophia tubes. This could be all or partly due to my DAC, the Spitfire + Supplier, but I suspect it may be the amps. The clarity, detail, soundstage, and balance are just awesome with Pico + Senn 650s, IMHO. I'm finding myself listening to and loving classical even though that is not my preferred genre. The Pico has me now reaching for the Senns instead of the Ultrasone 750s, but not for everything. For "bass light" tracks I still want the 750s. For "bass heavy" tracks the 750s + Pico can be a little scary, at least to me. Pico seems to have no trouble really driving the Senns.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,057 of 3,724
I'm not sure I agree with that. In tracks where the bass is more present in the source mix I'm finding the Pico can reproduce good strong bass without problems. The same tracks with the Ultrasone 750s can be frightening. In other words, I'm not sure the issue you are talking about is with the Pico's ability or with the 650s tonal balance. You may be right because I haven't heard a lot to compare with. Also would like to say that the Pico + Ultrasone 750s are really great with rock so far. I'm not sure this is the thread to be discussing Pico's sound or not but I couldn't resist chiming in after waiting for it for so many weeks.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #3,059 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by airstream66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my pico yesterday. Haven't had time to really put it through the paces but initial impression is wonderful. My only frame of reference is coming from the stock WA6 so we are talking about different animals here but I'm really loving my Senn 650s with the Pico. They have more lower bass than with the WA6 with either the Sovtek or the Sophia tubes. This could be all or partly due to my DAC, the Spitfire + Supplier, but I suspect it may be the amps. The clarity, detail, soundstage, and balance are just awesome with Pico + Senn 650s, IMHO. I'm finding myself listening to and loving classical even though that is not my preferred genre. The Pico has me now reaching for the Senns instead of the Ultrasone 750s, but not for everything. For "bass light" tracks I still want the 750s. For "bass heavy" tracks the 750s + Pico can be a little scary, at least to me. Pico seems to have no trouble really driving the Senns.

Try feeding the Pico into the WA6 (with Sophia Princess rectifier) as the DAC/Preamp instead of your old DAC, and listen to the HD650 and tell me what you think. :veryevil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back