HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Mar 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #1,711 of 3,724
Jamato8,

Obvious and necessary question...not so obvious answer. I will need a set for home, so large, not portable, and open-back is OK. I will need a more portable, and more isolating (closed?) type for on the road, when others will be bothered, or I will be bothered by others and ambient noise. I am not yet ready for IEMs...

I am rather eclectic in my music, though classical and rap are not my usual choices. I was reading the HFI780 thread, but few mentioned the Pico. Some folks seem to feel Senns (580-600-650?) are not well served by portable amps...I was just wanting suggestions of good matches by actual users of the Pico. I will review suggestions and make my choices as best as I can...Thanks. My Pico is only a few days old...my first amp and first headphones. I am coming from speaker-land with tubes and digital amps and full-range single driver speakers.

t

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #1,713 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by tea-head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, no flames or noob haters ; ). I have tried to find specific recomms. for headphones for the Pico...thread is long and searches did not help much...more long threads...anyway, I could use some suggestions from users of the Pico. Thanks.

t

I just listened to my Pico using a set of ultrasone HFI 780's recabled and modded by ALO using Vampire Cables.Believe me you will not need concert tickets any longer.All I can say is fantastic,a marriage made in paradise.
I believe this will be the last Amp,Headphones you will ever need.
If everyone had a Pico from Justin ,and these headphones there would be peace on earth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #1,714 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by rippingdragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it sound as beautiful as it looks? If so I'm in for a treat in another 7 weeks myself.
biggrin.gif

Believe me The Pico sounds better than any amp I have ever had,or listened to.
This amp must have been inspired by a higher authority if you know what I mean.With the right headphones,and quality music,you will think you are witnessing a live concert made in a magic kingdom.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #1,717 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listened to my Pico using a set of ultrasone HFI 780's recabled and modded by ALO using Vampire Cables.Believe me you will not need concert tickets any longer.All I can say is fantastic,a marriage made in paradise.
I believe this will be the last Amp,Headphones you will ever need.
If everyone had a Pico from Justin ,and these headphones there would be peace on earth.
smily_headphones1.gif

007, I was thinking of going this exact route. I am on the fence as to whether to get the HFI 780's (ALO Modified) or Senn 650 (w/Cardas or ALO). I just got my Pico. You're obviously enthusiastic about the Ultrasones. Did you consider the Senns? Anyone else have an opinion?

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,718 of 3,724
I pre-ordered one via email on 04 Feb 2008,
and your reply was ...
> ..., I've added you to the Pico pre-order list...
but there is not my name on the list.
confused.gif

I reserved ...
one Pico with DAC
Color: Black
USB Cable: 3feet

-----
Shigenobu Tohjima

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #1,719 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shige.T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pre-ordered one via email on 04 Feb 2008,
and your reply was ...
> ..., I've added you to the Pico pre-order list...
but there is not my name on the list.
confused.gif

I reserved ...
one Pico with DAC
Color: Black
USB Cable: 3feet

-----
Shigenobu Tohjima

Thanks for letting me know, there are a few names that got accidentally left off and I'll probably be doing an update of the list / shipping status today or tomorrow. You won't lose your place

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #1,720 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
007, I was thinking of going this exact route. I am on the fence as to whether to get the HFI 780's (ALO Modified) or Senn 650 (w/Cardas or ALO). I just got my Pico. You're obviously enthusiastic about the Ultrasones. Did you consider the Senns? Anyone else have an opinion?

I have stock Senn 650's I haven't even taken them out of the box yet,I got them three months ago.Working 12 to 16 hours a day ,I hardly have time to try them out.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #1,721 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have stock Senn 650's I haven't even taken them out of the box yet,I got them three months ago.Working 12 to 16 hours a day ,I hardly have time to try them out.
biggrin.gif

Believe me, I know what you mean. If you get around to a comparison, at some point, I would be interested in your comments...thanks

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #1,724 of 3,724
Just wanted to say congrats Justin. Been enjoying mine for awhile now and it's really great to see this thread keep going and going - 173 pages! In fact starting house-sitting at the end of the week and fretting not at all having the Pico as my only source/amp for a month. Love it especially with the W5000 and Ed.9.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #1,725 of 3,724
Hey Justin, I have decided to just go with all black amp with dac and 3 foot cable. :) Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back