Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 25, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #7,306 of 9,899
It's just a general question for me now. In a month I'm going to audition the SR009 and if I like it, knowing when I can get a BHSE might influence me decision to buy the SR009 or not.

Assuming you were to order the BHSE and in getting it you'd be using the stock Mullard's that come with it, then IMO 009's aren't the best Earspeaker's to be used, 007mk1's would be the better Earspeaker's to get, however if you were to get hold of some NOS Mullard's then IMO the 009's take some bettering.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7,307 of 9,899

I noticed Justin likes to reply in the thread, probably because he can reach us all that way.
It's just a general question for me now. In a month I'm going to audition the SR009 and if I like it, knowing when I can get a BHSE might influence me decision to buy the SR009 or not.

Judging by past batches, it would be extremely optimistic to assume you can get delivery a year from now. It's an excellent sounding amp but if I were starting on Stax I sure as hell wouldn't start by placing a BHSE order. I get the waiting-for-a-work-of-art thing, but that's not for me when excellent alternatives are available. I'd order a 009 and then snap up the nicest KGST / KGDT / KGSShv / Carbon I could get my hands on within a few weeks of searching, and enjoy.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #7,309 of 9,899
The Carbon will be available from Birgir. And it's not going to take a year. My T2 is barely taking a year.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #7,311 of 9,899
Birgir doesn't build to order though, so when one does become available, anyone wanting it would have to have the money.

I take it none of you have taken a look at his page recently :wink:.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #7,312 of 9,899
Birgir doesn't build to order though, so when one does become available, anyone wanting it would have to have the money.

The difference is really the 1/4 deposit and not having to wait more than a week for an amp. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #7,313 of 9,899
The difference is really the 1/4 deposit and not having to wait more than a week for an amp. 

When I ordered the BHSE I didn't have the money to pay in full, so paying the quarter deposit was the only way I could go, but the wait time allowed me to save the rest, which some other potential buyers might have to do that, with KGSSHV carbons built by Birgir or anyone else, they probably can't.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #7,314 of 9,899
When I ordered the BHSE I didn't have the money to pay in full, so paying the quarter deposit was the only way I could go, but the wait time allowed me to save the rest, which some other potential buyers might have to do that, with KGSSHV carbons built by Birgir or anyone else, they probably can't.

Right. The point was there being other alternatives. Another way to go will be commissioning a Carbon. Whatever works for you.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #7,315 of 9,899
Right. The point was there being other alternatives. Another way to go will be commissioning a Carbon. Whatever works for you.

Yes there are alternatives, and even though I have a BHSE, I'm getting a KGSSHV Carbon when I've the spare money. Now if Justin was to start building Carbons, then I could do the same as I did with the BHSE, either that or save and hope to have the money when Birgir had one available.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #7,317 of 9,899
Order it now. Back off whenever you want. It's that simple 
redface.gif

Ali

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #7,319 of 9,899
Pretty sure the only possibilities are choosing from various colours, low/high bias, rk50/dact, and mains voltage.

Thanks, that what I was thinking. Plus tube choice, PSVANE has been mentioned a lot.
The bias should be chosen according to the phones you want to use with it I guess?
What would that be for the 009 and how should the second output be set? Or are there more possibilities for one kind of cans? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back