Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #7,321 of 9,899
I've mentioned quite a lot on how the PH tubes have made the 009's sound extremely good, however the downside of those tubes is their lifetime.
However I find the Mullard xf4's which I'm now using make the 009's sound even better than the PH's, and hopefully they'll last a lot longer.

PSVANA are the new Shuguang tubes if I understood correctly?
I haven't delved into this thread yet but if there's any concise tube recommendations people know of I'd be happy with the info.
Aren't the Mullard typically British soundin like their 6SL7 counterparts? I mean, a bit too warm in the mids aka tubey sounding?

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #7,322 of 9,899
I've heard the BHSE a number of times with Holland-made EL34 (xf4/xf5), and though this is a very good sound I think this amp w/ 009 pairing would benefit a lot from the warmth of Mullard EL34 (which I've heard in other amps and is definitely a lush tube). I'm kind of assuming that the Holland EL34 are more neutral, of course, but that's often a safe assumption with anything vs. a vintage Mullard. With 007 Mk I, the Holland'd BHSE is an absolutely dead perfect, all-time great pairing. But the 009 is the superior headphone, hence my minor frustrations with the BHSE/Holland/009 pairing (still the more resolving pairing). The BHSE/Holland/009 is also slightly more resolving than any KGSShv, but I prefer the warmer tonal balance with some of the KGSShv builds.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #7,323 of 9,899
These Holland Metal base are a nice alternative too

. Not quite the lushness or the rich tonality of the Holland brown based DD. However, they have tons more resolution, details, bigger soundstage, and are very clean sounding. Kind of reminds me of listening to speakers, they have such a big sound to them.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7,327 of 9,899

Oh goody, more tube talk for the BHSE. You can never have too much of that :xf_eek:)

PSVANA are the new Shuguang tubes if I understood correctly?

Not quite, Psvane are a disgruntled offshoot from Shuguang. Both continue in parallel and they don't appear to be good friends. Once you've delved into this thread some more, you'll find that the Psvane EL34PHs are one of the best sounding New Production tubes around, and also the Most Unreliable New Production tubes around. They appear to have a new version out now that looks rather smart, but I'm in no rush to try.

Quote: I haven't delved into this thread yet....
You really should try some searching first. An easy-find conclusion doesn't show the variety and different opinions out there.
For posts that have given a concise summary comparison, you could do worse than look for posts by Elphas (right at the beginning), Golfnutz and TheAttorney (me).

Quote:
...But the 009 is the superior headphone, hence my minor frustrations with the BHSE/Holland/009 pairing (still the more resolving pairing). The BHSE/Holland/009 is also slightly more resolving than any KGSShv, but I prefer the warmer tonal balance with some of the KGSShv builds.

Some people reckon the 009/BHSE is an over-bright pairing, and some people don't. I'm firmly in the latter camp. On the basis of owning just one set of XF2 OOs and one set of XF4 DDs, the latter are just plain better with either my 009s or 007s. There is no "minor frustration" about it with DD/BHSE/009. It's possible that my OOs were in less good condition, but I have no way of knowing without spending lots of money on replacements.

These Holland Metal base are a nice alternative too

Look, I've warned you before. You are simply not allowed to make me spend any more money on tubes. I've made it formally illegal for you to do so.
Are these the ones that Psvane based their PH replica on?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #7,328 of 9,899
Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: I haven't delved into this thread yet....

You really should try some searching first. An easy-find conclusion doesn't show the variety and different opinions out there.
For posts that have given a concise summary comparison, you could do worse than look for posts by Elphas (right at the beginning), Golfnutz and TheAttorney (me).

Noted, thanks for the tip, will shorten my reading time quite a bit. I'll check the posts of the three of you for tube info.
I read the full ZD and its tube rolling thread, am halfway the BA and its tube rolling thread but tbh. this thread is a bit too long for an exercise like that.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #7,329 of 9,899
  Some people reckon the 009/BHSE is an over-bright pairing, and some people don't. I'm firmly in the latter camp. On the basis of owning just one set of XF2 OOs and one set of XF4 DDs, the latter are just plain better with either my 009s or 007s. There is no "minor frustration" about it with DD/BHSE/009. It's possible that my OOs were in less good condition, but I have no way of knowing without spending lots of money on replacements.

Look, I've warned you before. You are simply not allowed to make me spend any more money on tubes. I've made it formally illegal for you to do so.
Are these the ones that Psvane based their PH replica on?

The metal base might be about the only thing similar between them, but yes these are supposed to be what they're replicating. Sound wise, not even close (at least w/BHSE).

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #7,330 of 9,899
Does any one know the lead time for the Blue Hawaii SE?
Thanks

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #7,334 of 9,899
I've mentioned quite a lot on how the PH tubes have made the 009's sound extremely good, however the downside of those tubes is their lifetime.
However I find the Mullard xf4's which I'm now using make the 009's sound even better than the PH's, and hopefully they'll last a lot longer.

I should've said in my post above, that it was mentioned about Psvane PH tubes which included their reliability well before I did, in fact it was because of the reliability issue I didn't order any when first hearing about them, but because I was frustrated with how the 009's sounded while using the stock Mullard's with the BHSE, and that Grant Fidelity offered a guarantee, I decided to get some.

It's said that Mullard/Philips xf2 double getter's are regarded as the best sounding EL34's ever made, but because I've had dealing's with WV's, I wanted to get tubes from there, but they only had Mullard xf4's.
The good thing about those xf4's from WV's though, is they were unused and got directly from the Mullard factory in Blackburn.
I've also read on guitar forums that the difference in SQ between different xf's isn't huge.
Anyway I'm very happy with the SQ I'm getting from my 009's using those xf4's, and with them having a black coloured base, to me they look great on my BHSE as well.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #7,335 of 9,899
I actually wonder how this would sound paired up with the HE60s. 
wink_face.gif
 Perhaps it would be a match made in heaven, or something made in hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back