HeadAmp Aristaeus Electrostatic Amp - build thread
Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #61 of 124
Mar 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #63 of 124
my Aristaeus arrived fedex this morning, i'll be home later and try the O2 Mk1 and especially the 009 with it. nice to hear about the build quality being spectacular.

i did not purchase any alternate tubes for the Aristaeus. i did purchase some metal base EL34 Philips for the BHSE when it arrives.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #64 of 124
Changing the power tubes and driver tube of the Balancing Act to Mazda PP5/400 (=Osram PX25) and Tungsol 6SU7GTY
to drive the Sony MDR R10.  The contest is now closer. The Sony MDR R10 has more bass thump but the HE90 has faster
bass and probably more layering.  The midrange of R10 is more organic while the HE90 has more detail.  The soundstage
and treble are comparable.  It will depend on the listener preference now.  I give a little edge to the HE90/Aristaeus combo
but I need the Balancing Act to be modified to optimally use the PX25 or equivalent.  Can't wait for the DIY T2 + SR009 & O2
Here is the pictures of PP5/400 used.  Need more run in of the Aristaeus and the Mazda's.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #65 of 124

Quote:
my Aristaeus arrived fedex this morning, i'll be home later and try the O2 Mk1 and especially the 009 with it. nice to hear about the build quality being spectacular.

i did not purchase any alternate tubes for the Aristaeus. i did purchase some metal base EL34 Philips for the BHSE when it arrives.

ANy chance you and the aristaeus will make an appearance at the Seattle meet on April 14th Mike?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #66 of 124

Quote:
ANy chance you and the aristaeus will make an appearance at the Seattle meet on April 14th Mike?

i think a pretty good chance; i did not know about the meet. i will check it out.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #67 of 124
watched the NCAA BB last night late, so minimal listening so far.....only with the 009's. very nice, low noise floor, great tonal richness but not blunted or rounded. listened to DSD from my server thru the Playback Designs, and this morning i'm listening to vinyl from the NVS-Telos-Ortofon Anna and it is very refined and delicate. no RTR tape yet.

the serial number is 'ARII6'. so 'series 2, number 6'.

only frustration is that the power umbilical is very heavy and stiff, and the amp is very light weight, so orientating both the amp and power supply as i might prefer is not possible. not a big deal as i have lots of space to work with. i agree that the build quality is impeccable.

great job and thanks Justin.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #68 of 124
It might be "ARI 16"

Nice system!  I like the build quality of the umbilical and it's nice to know it'll never get damaged but I prefer floppy cables/cords myself.  I managed to get mine setup in my rack without moving the whole thing though so it's not  a big deal.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #69 of 124

Quote:
It might be "ARI 16"

yes, it might be. although the 2 'II's look like 'i's and not an 'i' and a '1'. maybe Justin can clarify.

Quote:
Nice system! I like the build quality of the umbilical and it's nice to know it'll never get damaged but I prefer floppy cables/cords myself. I managed to get mine setup in my rack without moving the whole thing though so it's not a big deal.
[/quote]

thanks, no doubt the cord is solid. and i can likely mass-load the amp one way or another to get it to stay in one place. the spikes slide easily on my granite shelves and that is part of the issue. at some point i'll likely try some decoupling footers which may make this less an issue....and it's not a big issue now. just the normal system-gear synergy integration process.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #71 of 124
Mine is "ARI 15"  so I think the serial number is 15.
I also had problem hooking the umbilical cord to the Aristaeus and the PSU
because it is very stiff and I had to turn the Aristaeus and the PSU to fit in the umbilical
cord, not the other way around.  However I like its build quality and I know that it will last for
a very long time.  I also like the quality of  Stefan Audio Art umbilical cord that I use with the
Balancing act,  if I have problem at its new place I may try that.  I am using rubber feet to prevent the
movement of the spikes.
I have changed the driver to Mazda 12AX7S and I prefer the Mazda because there is less brightness
I don't say that the JJ 's are too bright but may be bright with some of my genre of music (Chinese female singers) .
I am listening the combo with Pink Floyd "A foot in the dark" with great result.
I will try with the SR009, O2 mkI next week.  However I was informed from one of the recent owner
of Aristaeus who also has HE90, SR009 and O2mkI that the O2mkI also performed very well with the
Aristaeus while the SR009 may be a little bit bright but the Aristaeus perform best with the HE90.
I may try the Sylvania 5751 Gold brand Grey plate with the SR009 (more lush mid but less power but
should be OK with SR009 )   while I will use the TFK ECC803S with the O2mkI

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #72 of 124
Quote:
Why don't you have a HE90? :p

i assume your question is pointed at me.

having read the iconic reverance many have for the HE90, and seeing the wacko price they sell for, i'll take the 5th on your question....not wanting to push buttons. i've not heard them so i have no opinion on whether they can justify thier price and reputation.

if, at some point, i actually hear the HE90 and they blow my mind, then i guess i'll have to seriously consider owning them.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #73 of 124

However I was informed from one of the recent owner
of Aristaeus who also has HE90, SR009 and O2mkI that the O2mkI also performed very well with the
Aristaeus while the SR009 may be a little bit bright...

I have to say that I don't really like the O2 on the Aristaeus. Compared to the O2/BHSE, the lack of power really shows (which is consistent with the old reports here on HF). The same with the HE60, that can likes to be punched. But the Aristaeus with the 009 is a very nice combination, and - IMHO, YMMV - absolutely not too bright, at least not with the Mazda tubes. On the BHSE, the 009 is tricky - a good recording will come out very well, but a bad one sounds shrill. But it has its qualities, incredibly fast and detailed and punchy.

Obviously the Aristaeus should work well with the HE90, as it was basically built for that headphone, but I'm certainly not going to pay twice the price of the 009 for a HE90 just to verify that 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #75 of 124
Yes. It doesn't really show with the 009, which sounds different between the two amps, but not better or worse. But the O2 and the HE60 are definitely better off with the BHSE, and one gets the definite feeling that this has to do with the power the amp can throw at the can...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back